TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Jahan's Awesome TPR-Midwest Trip Report!

arrowfanman

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been quiet till now, but this is an awesome trip report Jahan!

I thought Beech Bend was a great little park with fantastic charm, great staff and an awesome woodie! Definetly one of my favourite places when I was in the US a couple of months before the TPR trip.

Beech Bend was your favourite? Seriously?

I enjoyed it alot but I think it might be like #4 on the trip for me.

No. I said the next installment will be of my favorite park.

Tomi "Did Ryan seriously go fishing in Casey's shorts?" Zandshtein.

I'll let Casey answer that one.

Patties and mystery meat?

OMG...How could I have forgotten about that?!!?

I even went back for seconds on the mystery meat!

Oh, and where was the Wild Mouse?! I looked all over the park and couldn't find it! Maybe they had stored it up for the winter or something?

Oh...and no scary-drop-tower-of-death photos? That ride was insane!!! Definitely the scariest moment on a ride that I can remember!

Basically, when you enter the park, if you go left, you'll head towards the Rumbler. If you head right, you head towards the wild mouse.

No tower photos because I didn't ride. The only photo I took of the tower was one from beneath me, looking up at the tower--and it's pretty much a photo up my creamy-white and very hairy thigh. Not entirely flattering, so I didn't post it.

Thanks for all of your nice comments guys!

-Jahan

Basically, when you enter the park, if you go left, you'll head towards the Rumbler. If you head right, you head towards the wild mouse.

No tower photos because I didn't ride. The only photo I took of the tower was one from beneath me, looking up at the tower--and it's pretty much a photo up my creamy-white and very hairy thigh. Not entirely flattering, so I didn't post it.

-Jahan

Ohh...well maybe they did take it down for the winter because I didn't see it. I went over there to see the petting zoo area along with the kiddie drop tower. Yup, I have to go back over the summer!

-Jahan

Ohh...well maybe they did take it down for the winter because I didn't see it. I went over there to see the petting zoo area along with the kiddie drop tower. Yup, I have to go back over the summer!

I was at Beech Bend on Christmas eve and it was there. However, it was in an unlit area of the park off to the right as you walk by the drop tower.. It was very hard to see.

Dinner was tasty. Not “SFKK Italian Feast” tasty, but tasty. I still cant believe that.

Patties and mystery meat?

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I haven't laughed that hard in my life...OMG...best quality comedy!!! It wasn't until we got to Friday's that I laughed that hard again!

chuck "Still laughing!" garcia

^ Now I know how you would come up with my nickname from the trip as potentially being "Fat A$$"...but still, low blow dude.

She was referring to Andrew Janes (coasterdude) who is incredibly skinny (small boned?). Therefore Drew ("Drooler") thought it necessary to give him the nickname "Fat A$$".

Also, if you can figure out that accent/slang you're one up on me.

Awesome TR so far, you're really making me miss the trip. I agree with all your points on SFKK, that place was definetely a surprise for me considering all I'd heard about it before.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

^^You'll always be Matt Damon in our memories, better to be fat ass than candy ass though.

Ah, Beech Bend, I think that mystery meat was fried squirrel.

Those night rides on the Rumbler - priceless. I'm still amazed at some of the out of the way places we went to, I always like wow I'm really at...

I wish I could do the same trip all again, except maybe the people dying back home halfway through the trip bit.

^ ^^ Your wish is my command.

Day 4: Indiana Beach

Hey everybody!

Well, a late night and a long drive had us pulling into our hotel from Beech Bend at about one in the morning, so we were allowed to sleep in a little the following day. That being said, we were still up early enough to get on the road for the next park of the trip—Indiana Beach.

At 11:30, we stopped for lunch.

This was supposed to be a picture of the Taco Bell we ate at, but Carl thought he’d jump in and make it his own.

That’s ok Carl.

Photographic proof.

Love you TJ.

After lunch, we dashed across the street to grab us some Frozen Cokes for the road. This photo wishes it were as cool as the Waffle House photo.

Indiana Beach was another park that I didn’t know anything about prior to that morning. It was equated to sort of a “Blackpool of the US”, which didn’t help me at all, not having been to Blackpool either! Lol! That being said, I was in for a huge surprise!

I almost forgot why I took this photo, as it really is a horrible photo! I just remembered that I was showcasing the FREE PARKING. This park is already awesome and we just got there!

This particular entrance to the park is rather humble, but…

…the bridge immediately following it has to be one of the most grand and awesome park entrances ever!

We got into the park without a problem and was quickly taken away into a fun little world. The park proves that you do not need themeing to have atmosphere! I let the rest of the group go ahead to let in some local friends of ours—Rich and Mel—and we were soon greeted by Cameron, Ted, Catrina, and several other friends.

When I came back, the majority of my group had already begun to round up the credits, so Robb allowed me to tag along and help him get POV footage of everyone’s favorite coaster—The Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain.

*cues background music*

Now I knew nothing of the ride. Nothing at all. Well, I was told that it was VERY low-capacity. But other than that, I didn’t know of the elevator lift, tight turns, animatronics, show scenes, and most importantly—THE BEAR!

And I certainly didn’t realize how much they were able to cram in such a tight area!

Robb, about to get a train dispatched on him.

What?! It was better than the duct-tape joke I was going to go for!

While Robb set up his lipstick cam, I engaged in some “dorky ride-operator talk” with the friendly LoCoSuMo op. Transfering trains, evacuations, loading and unloading riders—you know, the standard stuff. She seemed genuinely interested though, so that’s good.

By the time we were all strapped in, we were really starting to get scared! You can even tell in the LoCoSuMo POV from Roller Coasters in the RAW, that Robb, Chris, and myself were all rather freaked out! Apparently this thing used to hurt—badly!

Jesus what is happening to me?! Where am I going?!

By the time the ride was over, I couldn’t believe what just happened to me! The ride wasn’t uncomfortable, but was actually fun! Lots of fun! It’s actually probably one of the most “fun” coasters ever!

Chris and I confused as to what exactly we just witnessed!

These guys have no idea what’s coming at them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdadbRSxYXw

The TPR-filmed POV, for your viewing pleasure.

Anyway, after LoCoSuMo, we began to round up some other credits.

Oooh! Dueling woodies—Choose thy fate!

A crappy photo, but the only decent one I had of Cornball.

The Cornball Express was next. Again, I’m still somewhat leery of woodies due to my tragically-dull background with them, so I didn’t know what to expect from this one. That being said, it was running GREAT! Barring LoCoSuMo, it was my favorite coaster at Indiana Beach!

After Cornball, we tried to get on the Tig’rr coaster, but was denied due to the “rainy” weather.

Wes came all prepared to fight back against the rain.

Retreating from the rain, we all hid in the Fascination gallery and played for seemingly forever! And yet not long enough, for some people!

We were also able to try the shooting dark ride, of which its name escapes me. But it was probably like, my favorite shooting dark ride ever!

It just worked out perfectly that we were on that side of the park, because our group meal was about to begin!

I misunderstand the concept of the “meal ticket”. BTW, is it just me, or does my head looks unusually long in this photo?!

This is no Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner, but the pre-food literature was very similar!

All I remember from the meal is that it was that it was the most random assortment of food ever! They had like, taco stuff (naturally), next to ravioli, next to biscuits and gravy or something. It wasn’t bad! I just remember thinking to myself “Huh……….huh.”

After food, it was time for my turn on the Hoosier Hurricane, the park’s dominating woodie.

The ride’s entrance and exit, on a bridge it also shares with the log flume’s exit. Like, I seriously love how crammed in this park is!

While not as amazing as Cornball Express, Hoosier Hurricane still simply owned the park!

And with the rain away, we finally had a chance to round up that Tig’rr Coaster…

A fun little ride, no doubt—again, lodged in by Cornball and I believe that it sits on top of something else!

Here, Chris points out the vehicle transfer apparatus, for all of us vehicle transfer apparatus enthusiasts out there.

We had also rounded up the Galaxy credit, which was AMAZING but I unfortunately had no photos of. After that, we all sort of met up with a bunch of friends and did a tour of the parks “over-water flat rides”. These are rides that are traditionally “whatever/filler” rides, that stood out as unique, fun, and signature attractions due to their simple placement over the water.

Up first were the flyers. These were actually my first flyers ever!

Afterwards was the chair-swing, which was probably one of my favorite rides in the park!

LOL…I LOVE THIS SHOT. Mel is amazing!

Come to think of it, with the stunt show underneath and the “movement” of the swings, this is a really great promo shot! What do you say Mel—we go 50/50 and sell it to Indiana Beach for some brochures?

Up next was the Paratrooper. Just so you know, Chuck is deathly afraid of Paratroopers. I believe the story is that he saw one collapse at a fair as a child. So I thought I’d be a respecting friend—and drag him onto one perched dangerously over a body of water!

You can tell Chuck isn’t so thrilled to be here. He’s going to kill me for this!

I cant help but caption this “Boogy, boogy, boogy!”

We finished our flat rides on the Scrambler, a classic. We decided to cram as many people into one unit as possible—a lesson I have learned before, but completely ignored. I need to learn to apply past lessons learned to currently unfolding situations. Grrr.

Those are sincere expressions of pain. Even Dane’s ear looks like it’s hurting!

After the flat ride tour, we decided to split a bit, do some different things. Cameron told me that despite the $3 admission fee, the haunted house tour was definitely worth it. He even offered to compensate my risk if I ended up not liking it, but I trusted him—I mean, everything else he said about the awesome little park had been true so far! And he was right about the haunted house tour! It was actually one of the coolest ones I’ve ever been in.

Any tour with the jacob’s ladder effect is Jahan-approved!

We even found Joey on the tour!

At this point in the day, we were pretty comfortable with the pace at which we were hitting attractions, so a few of us decided to branch off and simply document the place! Grab photos, video, and generally just act like the geeks that we are!

We thought it would be mighty-funny to throw Tex off the bridge leading into the park.

…it was.

The Ferris Wheel proved to be an excellent place to get a view of the park! From up here, you can really get a grasp of how compact and layered the park was.

Ok, so story!

We were on the Ferris Wheel for a good few cycles, getting shots of the park and of the Hurricane flying on by. Well, I had begun to grow very comfortable with the attraction and rested my elbow up onto the side of the gondola, as one would an arm rest. I didn’t even think it to be an issue! As we were cycling around, my elbow caught the edge of the station platform decking on precisely the spot that I hit it while at Holiday World! It wasn’t painful! Just a quick little bite and I went back to taking photos. That is until I was beginning to make a little mess.

I mean, it was no “Hockey Player gets Gashed in the Neck”, but it was pretty impressive! Just kept bleeding and bleeding!

Finally Elissa’s awesome mother Janice applied some first aid magic and kissed it better for me—metaphorically, of course.

After our little photo and video run, we all rejoined for a ride that Kristen could ride—the train!

I gave Kristen the camera to take photos on the train, but she just kept taking stupid emo photos of herself, so I had to take it away.

We next went onto the antique car ride. Some wanted to get footage of the ride, and some just wanted another look at….

…..THE BEAR!!!!

I love that.

Anyway, one last ride of the night before the ERT begins!

I *LOVE* the shorter shot towers. Way more powerful than some of the taller ones!

—Words can not describe….

Anyway, after our rides the park began to shut down, which mean that our ERT was about to start. I forget exactly what was planned, but I recall the park keeping a few extra rides open, like the shooting dark ride and the bumper cars. But my favorite was Cornball! We rode that thing so many times! At one point we were going up the lift and saw a flash of lightning, far off in the distance, as part of a storm that was on its way. It was definitely a surreal coaster experience.

Me and our new ride operator friend in front of a sign we immaturely found humorous.

…We saw her throughout the day and she seemed genuinely interested in our event! She was the one I had a “dorky ride operator conversation” with at LoCoSuMo. She even joined us for a ride on Cornball at the end of her shift! Very nice!!!

When ERT was over, I left feeling euphoric! I cant even describe it. I know a lot of people felt this way when leaving IB, but I know I havn’t had that genuinely enjoyable of a park experience in a long time. It was the park. The people I was with. The all-around energy that filled the day. I just loved it.

Anyway, that should do it for this installment! Don’t forget to check back soon, when we begin our journey to Wisconsin! Thanks for reading!

-Jahan

^ Now I know how you would come up with my nickname from the trip as potentially being "Fat A$$"...but still, low blow dude.

She was referring to Andrew Janes (coasterdude) who is incredibly skinny (small boned?). Therefore Drew ("Drooler") thought it necessary to give him the nickname "Fat A$$".

Also, if you can figure out that accent/slang you're one up on me.

No, I wouldn't call you that! I thought she was calling you that. I thought you and her were inseparable on the trip, and I didn't think she would have been talking about anyone other than you. Sorry, man!

Wow, Jahan! That was an awsome TR! Really conveyed the awsomeness of Indiana Beach(As much as words can, that is, seeing as that park has to be experienced to really be gotten) I thinky you realy hit the spot when you said "The park proves that you do not need themeing to have atmosphere!"

That photo of Mel relaly is AMAZING! I mean it is proffessional! I'm trying to get into art school and that's the kind of photo I would be proud to have in my portfolio!

Chuck looks hillarious in the twist picture. Did he really see a ride collapse? That's gotta be awful.

As for the freefall tower pic... Once again you managed to take a picture of me that makes me wonder "What the **** was going on at that point?"

Wow, that looks like an awesome park. IB looks pretty similar to Santa Cruz, only with more coasters, and closer to less smelly water.

She was the one I had a “dorky ride operator conversation” with at LoCoSuMo. She even joined us for a ride on Cornball at the end of her shift! Very nice!!!
So... did you get her myspace or anything?