TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFKK Northwest Territory

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to SFKK before I had to catch my plane back to Detroit last fall in 2007 (after a trip to Holiday World of course) and I thought it was O.K. It had some nice decor and landscaping in the front of the park, the original part of the park with the Superman ride. The nasty bridge across the access road and the back half of the park was not overly impressive though unless the theme idea was supposed to be very industrial. I don't know if I'd go back again but it wouldn't be because of looks, but rather the lack of fun stuff to ride other than Greezed Lightning, Chang, and Deluge.

I wouldn't sell the park at all though if I was Six Flags with it being so close to the airport, the University of Louisville, Churchill Downs, Freedom Hall, and the Kentucky State Fairgrounds. Too many opportunities for impulse visits I would think.

• 3 months later...
TT was the parks best wooden coaster.

I think I just peed myself.

Joking and opinions aside though, I'm really hoping to see construction equipment arrive soon. TT desperately needs to be removed. They are horribly unpopular, making them a huge waste of space and a complete eyesore. There are so many better things that could replace them and greatly improve the park.

I really hope their closure isn't just a cost/staffing cutback, but a sign of the future.

^I second that. Aside from popularity, TT is one of the world's first dueling coasters. If for nothing else, they should keep it for the history, but the industry doesnt seem to care for things like that (RIP King Cobra).

As far as replacements go, that area took up alot of space. If SF cared at all, they could easily put in a good non-hyper there, and some more rides.

Aside from popularity, TT is one of the world's first dueling coasters. If for nothing else, they should keep it for the history, but the industry doesnt seem to care for things like that (RIP King Cobra).

So you'd rather keep a ride for weak historical value than get new, potentially better rides? If the ride was eighty years old, I might have more sympathy, but it's barely ten years old and they never actually duel them anymore. When one side is operating, the other is rotting. There are some cases where I feel like history should be considered. This just doesn't quite strike me as one of them.

The same goes for King Cobra. I really enjoyed that ride, but I completely understood when they removed it. The ride's capacity plummeted as extra restraints were added in response to accidents on similar coasters. The last time I rode it, I waited half an hour from the bottom of the station stairs until the time I got on the ride. From a business standpoint, it made no sense to keep the ride. Never mind the fact that the ride didn't set any legitimate records or precedents, contrary to popular belief.

^Yes, actually, I believe Twisted Twins hosts the world's first G-trains. They look cool, but hurt terribly!

I don't see how anyone finds TT better than Thunder Run. You have a classic, air-filled woodie that could be a Top Ten Wooden coaster with a little TLC, or a rough, boring, non-reliable "dueling" coaster with horrid trains. I'd choose the former...

In May of 2007 after HWN, I went to SFKK. I first rode TT and didn't think it was that bad. It was rough, but doable. I then rode TR with the PTC's and it was horrible, my back hurt for days after. If it had work, yes, it could be a better coaster, top 10, doubt it.

The dueling coaster gimmick on Twisted Twins has died down. Sure Six Flags used this addition to beef up the park's reputation and gimmick, but it's a huge waste of space. Maybe a new family section would be put to better use, but that's about it.

As for the ride itself... at least it's not Gwazi.

I don't know how you can even call Twisted Twins a "dueling coaster." When I was there, the only flyby was the bottom of the drop. There were plenty of other locations, but the timing was way, way off.

I don't care what anyone else says, I really enjoyed Thunder Run. The airtime was a ton more powerful than I expected.

Are they remodeling this section or something? If so, I find that quite ironic, as that part of the park is the only one that looks good at all.

In a perfect world, SFKK would do a massive rehab project spanning five or six years, beautifying the park, getting the staff up to an acceptable level of competance, and kicking out old crap and putting in new stuff that people will actually be excited about.

First, trees. If this were an RCT park, I would go completely crazy with trees. It's flat as the day is long, so terrain isn't really much of an option. The remaining choice is a buttload of foliage and some flowers to boot. When I go to a park, I'd rather not feel like I'm walking through a parking lot, and that's what I got with SFKK. It's surrounded by city, so it needs to feel like an escape from all the hustle and bustle.

Second, staff. When I was there, it felt like every employee was working in slow motion (which ended up being catastrophic for one Ms. Lassiter later that afternoon). It took a full minute for the Greezed Lightnin' team to check the train one time. It should barely take a minute to complete a whole cycle of guests. Along with that, it seemed like a lot of them didn't know what they were doing.

Finally, cuts and expansion. I say, smack an Intamin prefab a la Balder in TT's lot, destroy T2, and retrack the living daylights out of TR. IMO, T2's lot is a prime location for a dark ride of some kind.

But none of that will ever happen (God forbid SFKK become some sort of competition). I can dream, though, can't I?

Does the park not have enough room to add something behind T2 (around the old Batman Stunt show theater)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting rid of the POC, but why is there land back there not being used?

Yes, that's the only path across the road. I visited the park in '03 I believe, and it was a dump. Chang was alright, Twisted Twins was just boring and a waste of space, T2 is a painful clone, Thunder Run was average, but a clone I've been on plenty of times, same with Greezed Lightning. The park didn't offer a whole lot in flat rides and the park it self wasn't in very good shape. The food was bad, there was no landscaping (stuff just growing wild everywhere); the park felt neglected.

I have to admit, I had visited the park in the middle of a coaster trip, so I basically went from great parks to the Six Flags ghetto park. It was after coaster con at Cedar Point and Six Flags Worlds of Adventure and Beast Buzz at Kings Island, and I also was at Six Flags Darien Lake, Holiday World, Dorney, and Knoebles, so maybe it seemed worse than it actually was. Maybe not.

But yeah, I agree that a bulldozer would probably be best. Blow it up and start from scratch.

T2 is a painful clone, Thunder Run was average, but a clone I've been on plenty of times...

Actually, T2 was an SLC prototype, and Thunder Run is not a clone...

(No, the Hurler's are NOT the same!)