TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NoLimits Coaster News!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what's better, Nolimits 2 or TPS. I hope that NL2 comes out earlier so that it makes up for the delay.

In my opinion probably NL2, but that doesn't necessarily equate to it being fun or accessible. For me, I would get no joy out of NL2 making stuff, as I would not be able to grasp the tools. TPS, on the other hand, is the far more accessible game, that more people will get enjoyment out of. I'll get both. I'll make and enjoy rides in TPS, while marveling at the jaw dropping things people will accomplish in NL2 (as I do now with NL1).

I hope and pray that my beaten-up Macbook Pro can handle NoLimits 2.

How old is it? I hope my PC can handle it as well. I have 6GB RAM, 1GB Video RAM, and a 3GHz Quad-Core Processor.

Edited by StarWars

• 4 weeks later...

I know we really shouldn't double-post, but devs on NL2 revealed some pretty cool info. Over at nolimits-exchange.com they have forums in which the devs post. They said that NoLimits 2 features 1600 feet of altitude and just about one square mile of building space. I, myself (not a math wiz at all), asked how that compares to real world parks. This was the response from users:

1 sq. mile = 640 acres

Nickelodeon Universe = ~7 acres

Tivoli Gardens = ~20 acres

Blackpool Pleasure Beach = ~42 acres

Silver Dollar City = ~61 acres (just the park)

Europa Park = ~210 acres

SFMM = ~262 acres

Cedar Point = ~364 acres

Animal Kingdom = ~540 acres

Alton Towers = ~800 acres (includes gardens)

Remember, you are able to build multiple roller coasters (with working transfer tracks) and create rideable rides using scripting. People are going to create full recreations of parks. NL2 may be the best roller coaster sim ever.

http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=145&page=38

mmmmmmm.... 1600 feet.

I can see those epic super long mountain terrain coasters from years past being reborn.

I hope that ample tutorials will exist for the scripting. I know very little about code.

mmmmmmm.... 1600 feet.

I can see those epic super long mountain terrain coasters from years past being reborn.

I hope that ample tutorials will exist for the scripting. I know very little about code.

I'm not sure if the height pertains to the terrain as well. That would be nuts to nuts to build a mountain that tall and have a roller coaster on it. Also remember that tunnels through the ground are now automatic. You no longer need to make the ground a .3ds file to have a tunnel that seems to go under ground. That would be some coaster!

I know TPR greatly contributes and supports to TPS (to which I respect), but honestly, No Limits 2 seems to be more suitable for me. Studio looks great and all, but I just think NL2 looks absolutely fantastic. I am anxiously awaiting the release!

Well, TPS approached Robb asking for TPRs support. Had NL done that I'm sure we would have helped promote it. But really, they are two different games with different aspects.

Not to mention that the development if NL2 seems glacial in pace with no release date even hinted at.

Maybe the announcement and release of TPS will actually get NL2 out sooner.

They claim to be 95% done. However, it was in 2007-2008 when NL2 was first announced to be in production, so I have no clue how long that last 5% will take.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the double-post. I was over at the forums at NoLimits Exchange, where many of the game's developers post. The past few days there has been a lot of little bits revealed. The one that really pumped me up was something Phyter said. For those that don't know him, Phyter's name is Kevin Stone and his early work on NoLimits got him a job with the series. In a post, he revealed he is remaking his most popular creation, Thunderhead Falls, in NL2 That alone is exciting (since CoasterSims is gone and that was the only place that seemed to host it), but what really excited me was what he said he was doing to improve it. If anyone here ever downloaded the ride, you could see he made fake water and waterfalls on the mountain that could not move. However, with their new scripting system, Phyter confirmed that the water will now be able to move. He even confirmed to me that you can add sound effects to the scripting, so the waterfalls can also have sound.

http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=145&page=42

I've been debating learning how to script, but this might convince me.

Yeah, you could make a real working version of your monorail (that you can ride) and import it in!

Edit- Also, someone on the NLE thread had a cool idea, which seemed to blow away the devs that post there. They asked if they would be able to script moving smoke to the Vekoma Mine Train cars. The devs said that was the type of creativity they hoped to see from players. Someone else said they planned to script in moving crowds and people that sit in the coaster cars. With the option to have multiple coasters on one maps, the ability to script flat rides and people too, I see fantastic creations in the near future.

^I sincerely hope that ample tutorials will be available. MATLAB is hard enough.

Haha, MATLAB is one of the easiest script languages to learn. A lot of algorithms and functions ready and available, and not much focus on syntax.

Other languages are tougher to learn.

^MATLAB is a professional engineering/mathematics program, is pretty much entirely useless for No Limits, and costs *TONS* of money. One of the big things about it is that it can solve a matrix of massive size (basically, you can solve thousands of equations with thousands of variables all at the same time.) As useful as it can be, I have very limited experience with programming, and my university's curriculum doesn't allocate enough time to teaching students how to learn the program as they should, so for mechanical engineers (like myself) who have very minimal experience with programming, learning MATLAB is a royal pain. I was just mentioning it because I dislike programming in general, and I know that MATLAB's programming language is technically pretty "simple."

Seriously, this thread is for NoLimits News, not scripting and MATLAB. Stay on topic please.

I'm the moderator here, and that really made you look like a moron. Just saying.

Scripting talk is okay as long as it pertains to NoLimits 2, considering that it will be an integral part of the application and that the creators have made several news items pertaining to it.

But, remember that not everyone who uses NoLimits is an engineering student (I'm not one of those either), so try to keep talk as simple as possible for people to understand - especially for those who want to learn.

Edited by A.J.

• 3 weeks later...