TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NoLimits Coaster News!

For those who want to really utilize the scripting capabilities and make custom flat rides and whatnot but have pretty much zero java experience (like me) will the tutorial that you are implementing be sufficient to explain what to do?

Not right off the bat. Scripting is by far the most sophisticated feature any design space can ever have. Code level design is as low as you can go without modifying the application itself. So we don't expect most people to learn how to script and we generally aren't going to be the ones to teach you.

That being said, for those who do want to learn, we recommend any C# or JAVA beginners guide. Google gives a number of good jumping off points. The "For Dummies" books are GREAT! don't discount them. We would also recommend you download Visual Studio Express for Windows and begin practicing with console apps. Knowledge of C#/Java syntax and the fundamentals of object oriented programming are what you will need to script in NoLimits 2.

Edited by Phyter

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean you could also turn the 3D "steps" on the wooden catwalks to a 2D image (like how they were in NL1)? As I see them being the main killer of FPS in NL2. for people not wanting to upgrade PC's.

There already LODs on those steps. That comes automatically when you do the auto-supports.

A small question on systems specifications for NL2:

I'm pretty sure that you haven't finalized the systems requirements yet, but would you able to give a basic run-down on the computer (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS, etc.) on which the recently released videos were made on to give us a hit on what is needed for a good experience?

Yes, we posted basic system requirements on our official site.

Video capture is a special case. The simulator will render all 30 (or whatever setting you are using) frames regardless of system performance. The motion blur effect is not done in real time. It is done during video capture and makes search frame take longer to render. A slower computer will take longer to capture video, but once captured it will play back at normal speed with proper sound.

-Ride_Op

Yeah, I know that you have posted the minimum requirements to run NL2, but I was more looking for what would be recommended to get a good experience with a fair amount of eye candy switched on.

So it would work the same way that the video capture will work in NL1 then, I just asked about that computer since I doubt that you run a minimum spec one to test out NL2 on.

When the wingcoaster from B&M appear in the next update, it will also be the new Inverted (Banshee) by B&M also appear at the same time?, because they have the same restraining system.

You are really asking for a new train because of that minor difference?

Why not ask for different trains because some use metric sized bolts while others imperial? Can I have footers with different aggregate size? What about different grades of steel?

I can't get over how awesome and realistic this thing looks and yet there are still complaints and requests for stuff that is nothing short of nitpicking. Will the fact that there are two beams versus four on a train matter to anyone at all?

To the developers at no limits, god bless you, I can't imagine dealing with the fan base of this game that seem like they will never be happy no matter how realistic you get.

*end rant* sorry. I'm a bit ornery today.

We have patiently waited for a couple of years and the team has been working extremely hard on this project. I'm sure the simulator will not disappoint and like they said, they worked on the most popular train / track styles. Anything else will be a bonus. A couple years of work is no easy task and I'm sure a lot of love went into this project. Be happy on what we are getting. I'm sure we will not be disappointed. Patience is a virtue. I am sure we will all be blown away!

Well...the person who posted after me didn't quite ask for that. They were merely pointing out the minor difference, and even stated that would be something MINOR to request cause it didn't matter that much on their wish list. He was simply correcting my statement of saying the only thing new were the restraints. Looks like your drive-by rant shot the wrong person (and really, why get up in arms because someone request something. I'm sure the developers know and understand the simulator is made for us the people. While I feel upgrading the train to the banshee style is pointless, if its a selling point that people want then I see no problem upgrading it)

You are really asking for a new train because of that minor difference?

Why not ask for different trains because some use metric sized bolts while others imperial? Can I have footers with different aggregate size? What about different grades of steel?

I can't get over how awesome and realistic this thing looks and yet there are still complaints and requests for stuff that is nothing short of nitpicking. Will the fact that there are two beams versus four on a train matter to anyone at all?

To the developers at no limits, god bless you, I can't imagine dealing with the fan base of this game that seem like they will never be happy no matter how realistic you get.

*end rant* sorry. I'm a bit ornery today.

It wasn't, as you called it, a drive by rant. It was the one request that finally triggered it. There are over 50 pages in this thread with many many requests if minuscule details.

You may call it a selling point, I call it a detail that will satisfy a very small handful of customers that I doubt would ever be satisfied.

Look at the bigger picture. Be happy with all the awesome stuff it does have.

So in a thread about an up and coming simulator no one needs to make request? Also, it wasnt a request...it was a question. The person was wondering when the B&M wing coaster is added will the restraints on the inverted be changed to match as well since they are now virtually the same, based on banshee. If were to just "be happy" with what the original nolimits brought us I seriously doubt there would be a nolimits2 coming out...

The bigger picture is if WE never request or give our feedback there would be no nolimits 1.8 or 2. But the bottom line is your rant about a "request" that was a mere QUESTION is kinda mute...

When does nolimits3 come out????

thx phyton for the answers... overall great news! Sounds like nearly everything can be done by scripting and programming. And when it will be possible to add vertical track movement, the possibilities will get even bigger (thinking about an "Tower of Terror" fully animated and scripted )

Still wonder what kind of ideas, types and rides the community will invent.

And great news for OculusRift... but really hope you implement it in a later update. I have one prototype and its like you said.... both belongs together. Hope they are going to release the consumer version next year. But not only for riding coaster, even just walking through a fully operational park and looking at the rides would be impressive.

But no new post without some questions:

With so many programming possibilitys i think about getting Rollercoaster-Tycoonish. So my question is, will it be possible to build new GUIs for the editor, like a path building system or a GUI for programming the movement of the (hopefully created) KUKA-Robot arms?

Thinking about a full park walking through with the OculusRift, i wondered if you think it would be possible to add people and a pathfinding system/ai? I know it will depend on the community, but it would be great to get a bit life into the scenes. I think it will work to animate and script the movement, but it would be cool if someone gets a full crowd walking freely on the builded paths of the hopefully soon created pathsystem

So and the last one is about Sound: Will it be possible to build virtual speakers in 3d space, so that when you drive by you hear the sound of the speaker as you come closer and when you arrive at the next scene there will be a new speaker with other sound. And in addition to this question, will there be an onride-soundsystem

i think i already know your answer, but if it`s not implemented i hope on some inspiration and that someone will start programming it as soon as possible (i really thinking about getting more knowledge about scripting now... )

You really shouldn't be buying a laptop JUST for NoLimits 2. Plan for the other things that you might do with it. Any computer is a big investment and you really should be planning on how the computer will be performing four or five years down the road. It's like spending $200,000 on a super-powerful car and only using it for drifting around cones you set up in a parking lot.

If it's any consolation, I'm still running a first-gen 2.4GHz Core i5 with 4GB of RAM and a GeForce GT 330M graphics card - and Maya 2014, Rhino, NoLimits 1.X and the Adobe creative applications all run very well.

If you're really concerned about price I would pick up a desktop computer like one of those Steam Machines coming out soon.

Edited by A.J.

I have a Dell inspirion 15r Se with [intel Core i7-3612QM, 4x 2.10GHz • RAM: 8GB • AMD Radeon HD 7730M, 2GB • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit] and I hope that it runs smoothly at high settings :/ Maybe I need to install a SSD then that it works faster.

You really shouldn't be buying a laptop JUST for NoLimits 2. Plan for the other things that you might do with it. Any computer is a big investment and you really should be planning on how the computer will be performing four or five years down the road. It's like spending $200,000 on a super-powerful car and only using it for drifting around cones you set up in a parking lot.

If it's any consolation, I'm still running a first-gen 2.4GHz Core i5 with 4GB of RAM and a GeForce GT 330M graphics card - and Maya 2014, Rhino, NoLimits 1.X and the Adobe creative applications all run very well.

If you're really concerned about price I would pick up a desktop computer like one of those Steam Machines coming out soon.

Thank you for your suggestions! I don't have anything else that need to be specially requested for my computer other than running NL2. So basically as long as it can run NL2 smoothly, it's the right choice.