TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NoLimits Coaster News!

I had a dream last night that No Limits 2 was released, and I was about to click the buy and download button only to wake up to reality. At least we know that NL2 is supposed to be released by the end of this year. Ideally, it could be released on Christmas Eve!

To all who are on the Dev team, THANK YOU for working so hard on this awesome software for so long. I cannot wait to buy it!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I try to recreate plots of land of real parks for my own designs, my process of making the terrain is as follows:

1: Google Earth a prospective park.

2: Save the relevant plot area as a .3DS file.

3: Draw a support template of the land plot in NL in order to scale up the .3DS file to a proper size, also because Google Sketchup only exports plots of land in rectangular shapes with faces oriented in the four cardinal directions.

4: Go into the Editor and drag the terrain tiles, one by one, until the terrain matches the approximate profile of the .3DS file. I use the tiles in the track editor and not the terraformer because they are smaller and thus more accurate, and .3DS is not visible in the Terraformer so I have no reference. (This takes many hours for larger rides.)

5: Use the terraformer to smooth out the rough terrain.

Might there be a way in NL2 that you perceive may hasten this process? (Primarily in steps 3 and 4, where 95% of the work takes place.) Can we import terrain from programs with topographic data, like Google Earth? Also, might you be able to go into a bit more detail of the terrain editing system in other ways that I have not described?

NoLimits 2 offers an overlay feature so you super impose an image on top of the viewport. That should help cut some of the steps out. At the moment we don't have a method to import terrain height data, however our professional clients have expressed interest in this type of feature. We will explore the options available after release.

-Ride_Op

Another question - in NoLimits 2, are we able to extract information about points, control points and rolls (EDIT: Heartline too)? I've been trying to do this in NoLimits so I can produce a bezier curve in Maya or Rhino so I can create my own custom track spine and it hasn't been working correctly because I can't seem to translate the roll.

Edited by A.J.

More questions for the NL dev team:

1: Have you fixed the error where when you try to make supports in a "subterranean tunnel" the footers end up being placed on the ground directly above?

2: Have you fixed the error where the wide auto wooden supports drop down to "sea level" in a map with terrain enabled?

^I'm not on the dev team but I'd like to point out that the things you mentioned are bugs in the original game. this isn't an update to the original game, its a new program altogether. The terrain issues in the first one probably come from the fact that the game didnt originally have a terrain editor to begin with and it was a plugin someone developed, which was later incorporated into the game.

Subterranean NL1 tunnels are sort of "cheats"

NL2 has an actual built in feature for them. I doubt they'd put it in and release it if it wasn't working anywhere near properly.

One question for the Dev team, which is one something that it really bothering me on the NL 1 version, which were sort of fixed on an update when I mailed you about it, but then later removed with the next update.

It's about when you input decimal values into any preferences in NL.

In NL you use (in the English version at least) the '.' character to denote the decimal, which is commonly found on the numpad on English language keyboards. Here in Sweden we use ',' instead, and it's also the one that is featured on our numpads on the Swedish keyboard layouts.

So every time I forget to use the '.' decimal when inputting a value I get a pop-up saying that "Please enter number"(most settings) or the decimals are removed (vertex panel). Is there a way for you in NL2 where you can choose which kind of dot you want to use or would it be able to use both interchangeably (so that it don't really matter which one your language settings use as a decimal point)?

Does anyone know if we will still be able to import track from Newton2?

Newton2 > .nlelem file > Place in NL1 > Save as .nltrack > Import in NL2.

Edited by A.J.

1: Have you fixed the error where when you try to make supports in a "subterranean tunnel" the footers end up being placed on the ground directly above?

NoLimits 2 features proper underground tunnels that cut through the terrain. This trouble still remains though and it's due to how the wooden support builder works. The wood support generator builds from track height to terrain level. When you go into an underground tunnel the terrain is now above the track, resulting in structure being built up. We've made many enhancements to the wooden support generator, but this may still pose a problem. The easy and quick solution is to uncheck the flag to build supports on the segment of the tunnel that goes underground. The slightly longer solution is to delete the offending supports.

Is there a way for you in NL2 where you can choose which kind of dot you want to use or would it be able to use both interchangeably (so that it don't really matter which one your language settings use as a decimal point)?

At the moment there isn't. I can understand where you're coming from on this though and it's something we can think about for a future update.

Does anyone know if we will still be able to import track from Newton2?

NoLimits 2 supports and imports .nlelem files along with element files for NoLimits 2.

-Ride_Op

Is there a way for you in NL2 where you can choose which kind of dot you want to use or would it be able to use both interchangeably (so that it don't really matter which one your language settings use as a decimal point)?

At the moment there isn't. I can understand where you're coming from on this though and it's something we can think about for a future update.

Great to hear!!

If any one was wondering why we haven't posted an update for the past two weeks we've been working hard to finish up still pushing for release. So we took some time out this weekend to throw together a lengthy preview video of the NoLimits 2 editor. The video flies by but if you pause and re-watch you can get a good sense of some of the powerful new features in the editor. Oh, and also... TIMBERLINERS!

-Kevin

Holy crap.

Can we edit the sizes of the trees? Having all the trees of one relatively small size in NL1.X has really annoyed me for a long time.

I saw that the bent spacing changer for the wooden support generator. Can I have multiple different bent spacings in one coaster (like for example, 10 foot spacing in low G spots and 5 foot spacing in high G spots?)

^^ We're running out of 2013's fast. We're still aiming for this year, but you know what happens.. The instant we say yes or no, or hint at some sort of definite timeline, it slips. As always we gotta say, it's done when it's done. We swear we're not intentionally teasing you with that line. It's just that given our wonky schedules, the fact that two out of the three of us are working regular jobs, it's hard to know exactly how long anything takes us. We can say this much... our individual 'ToDo' lists are short. VERY short!

^ We're planning a Mac version, but launch will be Windows only. At least one of our beta testers has tested it in Windows (7 I think) on his Mac and it seems to run fine. We can't promise you the same experience though.