TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NoLimits Coaster News!

Ooooh, dear. Screenshots with transparent backgrounds only available in the pro version.

I guess I know what I'll be getting then. Compositing kind of needs a transparent background...and 1080p video...

Question from me: Have you guys done any testing in a Parallels Desktop (Windows VM on a Mac) environment? That will probably be the way I use the program on a regular basis and I'd like to know if its stable or not.

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are planning a limited time discount for the standard version at the very least. No word on the pro version or any details on amounts yet. We'll let you know as soon as we've finalized those decisions.

The download size is quite reasonable. Right now around 500MB.

Looks awesome. I'll be purchasing the pro version it looks like. I can't see why you would offer a discount for 1 owners. While $50-$100 is a good bit of money, the game is definitely worth it. I got 1.6 when it came out but I'm not really expecting a discount for buying something so long ago... Of course it would be appreciated, however Can't wait for this come out.

^This.

I play tons of games where there are full prices expansions where buying the original five or more years ago doesn't get you a discount. He'll even the roller coaster tycoon games had expansions at full price. Compare that to a whole new engine etc that is NL2.

I bought NL1 at least twice because of losing the install file and I think it was money well spent. And plan on buYing this the day this comes out.

^ Can't really tell, the 1.6 version needed about 70 MB and then the 1.7 update were another 12 MB.

The only gripe I have with the basic license is the maximum video output, I mean who still uses 4:3 aspect ratios on videos these days?

Would have loved to see 720p for the basic version and 4k for the pro one

I'm afraid there's no in-game object creator. You're still going to have to import your objects. However two new tools called the Scenery Object Editor (not to be confused with object creation) and the Material Editor are directly aimed at improving, not only the look and feel of your imported objects, but managing these assets as well. The Scenery Object Editor produces an .NL2SCO file which contains your imported object as well any light sources you attach to it, scale and rotation information, material assignments, scripts, etc. The Material Editor which produces a .NL2MAT file contains references to texture assets, allows for the application of effects, shaders, blending modes, special attributes like occlusion, etc. We also have a new scenery object overview window (basic tree view), which comes in handy. Combined these new features allow for very robust scenery handling and managing of extremely complex scenes.

Those sound like fantastic tools! I've never gotten to the point of creating objects just because I don't have a lot of experience with .3ds software. However, I know I can always create objects using support beams and concrete footers! Speaking of which, I thought I saw someone say that we'll be able to make footers of variable height. If that's true, then it might be possible to build a trench using only footers. That would be pretty cool!

I also wonder if we'll be able to make a rocky cliffside/vertical walls in the terrain editor.

^So I'm guessing this means NL2 objects will be able to support a bump map?

Also, would vertical terrain faces (Like, to make a cliff, a ditch, or a pool) be possible? How will the splash-pool that the dive coaster goes through in the video be created?

(And while I'm here... half-unrelated question... I made an .obj file as scenery. when I went to import it I saw my NL only allows .3ds files. Didn't there use to be a way to import .obj files?)

> ^So I'm guessing this means NL2 objects will be able to support a bump map?

And then some. The Material Editor allows for up to eight independent render passes with four texture units per pass for up to 32 textures all blending in any way you need. There is a technical level to it but even if you stick to just the most basic features you gain a lot of flexibility.

> Also, would vertical terrain faces (Like, to make a cliff, a ditch, or a pool) be possible? How will the splash-pool that the dive coaster goes through in the video be created?

Unfortunately vertical faces aren't possible with the built in terrain yet. The splash pool, water and all, is a single .3DS object. This is one use of the material and scenery object editors for applying special effects to object elements. The splash effect itself was a scripted scenery object.

> Didn't there use to be a way to import .obj files?

NoLimits 1.x only supported .3DS. NL2 will support .3DS and .LWO. We're looking at moving toward .DAE (Collada) in the future but no definite plans yet.

> I thought I saw someone say that we'll be able to make footers of variable height. If that's true, then it might be possible to build a trench using only footers.

Creative! Haven't tried it but that might work. Footer height is indeed adjustable. You can also angle footers, which is important for square footers.

> I also wonder if we'll be able to make a rocky cliffside/vertical walls in the terrain editor.

You can define any number of textures to appear on the terrain, and you can restrict each to within certain angle or height ranges for auto-painting vastly more realistic terrain than we've had in the past.

I'll ask again -

How does it work in a Parallels Desktop/insert other VM here environment? Is it stable?

Edited by A.J.

There are 37 styles to choose from in NoLimits 2. We have yet to reveal 2 so far unannounced trains and have not yet shown the B&M Flyer or the remaining wooden coasters.

Wing coasters and El Loco did not make the cut off point where we had to stop adding trains so we could finish. We plan to keep providing updates to add additional train styles as we go along.

AJ, not sure yet, we have not tried it. We are focusing on running NoLimits 2 normally and testing it as such.

We are getting closer every day!

-Ride_Op

I'll ask again -

How does it work in a Parallels Desktop/insert other VM here environment? Is it stable?

I can't say how it would run on Parallels or VMWare Fusion etc., but I currently run No Limits on Windows using BootCamp, which comes with your mac free! Because Windows runs natively this way, it is VERY stable. NL1 actually runs better on my Windows partition than on my mac! So if you don't mind restarting your computer every time you want to run Windows, you can just use BootCamp to install it on your computer. However, keep in mind you'll need to split your hard drive for that.

NL1 actually runs better on my Windows partition than on my mac! So if you don't mind restarting your computer every time you want to run Windows, you can just use BootCamp to install it on your computer.

Believe me, I am very, very familiar with Boot Camp and I used to run every Windows application that way. However, since I am running Maya, Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite, Office and NoLimits 1.X natively on Mac OS X, it's very inconvenient for me to restart whenever I simply want to use NoLimits 2. In fact, if it weren't for the NoLimits construction kit (for 3DS track export), Theme Park Studio and NoLimits 2 being Windows-only, I would have dumped my Windows partition by now.

Edited by A.J.