TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NoLimits Coaster News!

Merry Christmas from Nolimits!

The NoLimits team wishes Merry Christmas to all our customers. We have been quite silent within the last months, we are still working on NL2 and implemented lots of cool features meanwhile. However we realized that we need more time and we do not want to give the false impression that NL2 might be close to get released. It is not. We have to be carefull about what to show and what not, because each time we post something new, people start asking when it will be released. We can safely admit that all the highly demanded coasterstyles are already implemented and look great. However there is still a lot to do. Let me give you some statistics to give you an idea of the size of this project. The source-code has reached over 500,000 lines of C++ code (without counting comments and scripted code) in over 1,000 classes, even though I tried to go to a more data-driven design using xml files and scripts the size of the source code is just huge. That is already 4 times the size of NL1. Compile time fortunately is not a big deal anymore because of the use of multi-core CPUs. The list of new features compared to NL1 is almost endless, let me describe a couple of features to show that we were indeed busy. Some new features include various realtime editing spline indicators like a g-force comb and a speed comb that show accelerations and speeds along the track while editing the coaster. Another new feature is occlusion culling. Most of the new trains have over 100.000 polygons per train and I realized that there is the need for frame rate optimizations. The new occlusion culling system helps to improve fps for complex coasters, especially indoor ones, by using customizable occluder objects. Those can be added to scene objects easily. The system is my own design and is pretty powerfull and works better for applications like NL2 than most similiar systems found in books (like anti-portals or hardware acclerated occlusion query). Another new feature is the manual block mode. The block system operation of the coaster can be controlled manually in manual block mode, it is great for testing the block system (no more E-Stop tests required) or it can be used to move trains from and to transfer tracks. I have created a short video showing the manual block mode in operation using my NL2 Kumba coaster. I moved some trains around between storage tracks. In NL2 there is a new segment type called the Storage section. Storage sections act as a block but they only participate when in manual block mode. In automatic block mode, they simply do nothing, so trains on them will not move. Have fun with the video. [ol]

Not going to lie, I am kind of disappointed. However the transfer tracks look amazing!! There is also a video on the Nolimits page that shows the transfer tracks on action.

~Matt

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That video shows exactly why I don't mind waiting for NoLimits2. My jaw seriously hit the floor when I saw just how polished everything looked...and this is still a pre-alpha build no less!

True but the longer it takes to produce the higher the chances are that it'll need a faster system to run on.

I remember when NL came out a decade ago & back then my old system barely met the requirements to run it.

That was more than I expected! It looks so realistic and with the transfer tracks and the ability to use them fully, it is really shaping up to be the most realistic simulator out there. For it to be in such and early stage of development and be this great so far, it really is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! I think that this will also enable parks to create semi realistic renders of their projects without spending a lot of money. I know that there is no ETA but I have my fingeres crossed for a 2012 release.

• 2 months later...

I think it's legitimate. It basically serves the same purpose of switching to the 3D onboard viewport in the editor and running through your track to check for pumps and bumps. Remember that it has been said that a big improvement of NoLimits 2 is that it is one single program for all functions as opposed to three.

Edited by A.J.

well, prank or not, we got some pics though (eventhough its just Kuma as an Inverted coaster) I don't believe this will be added to the simulator, but it would be fun But I agree, a update would be awesome, since we had the last one in december.

yeah, it's an april prank of course! But i think they were going to really add it, maybe as easter-egg hidden in the simulator. Because the 3d-modell looks really good and programming i think will not be so hard... hopefully they will add this

• 2 months later...
I'm not sure that I'd have put "more realistic flanges and track connectors" on my wish list, but according to the update on the site today, they've sure done that.

The Kumba shot looks amazing.

http://www.nolimitscoaster.de/index.php?page=news&newsentry=20120606002050#news20120606002050

That update also shows the first multi-coaster map!

I wouldn't get too excited. The Montu could easily be a 3d object, rather than an actual ride. In fact, if you recall an earlier video, in which they showed off walking on the ground (and coaster), as well as rain, it was said in the post that the entire coaster was just a 3D object. I really want to have multiple rides too, just so the master creators can start recreating parks.

^ It has been confirmed countless times that you will be able to have more than one coaster on a map.

Oh, I've heard that too. He was saying the photo was the first instance of multiple coasters. It could be. However, what I was saying is that particular photo PROBABLY was using Montu as a 3D object, like that previous video they posted showing the ability to walk on the tracks, and was not an actual second ride. I think they'll have a full update when they're ready to show it off. It is kind of a big deal after all. I for one (wishful thinking) hope that we are not limited to just two, although the more coasters there are on a map, the slower the program will probably run (and load).

Edit- This is the post I was referring to:

July 22nd, 2009

Update about progress on NL2

I have been making lots of progress within the last months. I have been switchting a lot between multiple construction sites within the NL2 code which is over 400,000 lines so far. That's already more than the lines of all NL1.x modules counted together. Not every feature I started working on is completely finished at this point, so I cannot present anything brand new. Instead I decided to create a small video showing some features I have already talked about earlier. The video is encoded using Ogg Theora. If you use Firefox 3.5 or newer you can directly watch the video, otherwise you may need VLC or any other video player that can play Theora files..

Walkmode Video: http://www.nolimitscoaster.de/videos/NL2_2009_07_22.ogg

The video basically shows the built-in walkmode. Unfortunately the coaster you can see in this video is a 3ds scene object. The coaster designing code is almost finished, but the object creation is not, so the 3ds file is still used as a place holder at this point. The final coasters in NL2 will look much better than this simple 3ds. I do not know if I talked about the walkmode yet. It was one of the first things I implemented in NL2, so I am considering it as an old new feature. It works quite nicely, you can walk on all kinds of objects that are meant for walking on, including scene objects. The video also shows some auto-plants, if you look carefully you can see that the plants are moving slightly. New ambient sounds and the dynamic shadows give a much higher immersion effect than NL1.

I am right now working on a built-in Force Vector Design Tool, that will allow you to create tracks specified by g-force values. I already implemented a built-in Elementary that allows to create elements based on formulas. The syntax is quite identical to Tia's original Elementary tool, so the existing collection of formulas can be reused with small modifications. [ol]

• 6 months later...

Update! Sounds like we will be getting the game sooner than we all thought!

What you see on the screenshots above: Radius comb in editor before and after hand smoothing, catwalks and rusty track, improved shadows for objects close to viewer, switch tracks for dual stations, 4D track.

The radius comb is a very powerfull tool for hand smoothing out a track, the blue points control the track spline and the green discs are roll points that control the banking. Both points are completely independent from each other and allow very flexible editing. The new catwalks can be added to every piece of track. In NL1, they were limited to brakes, lift and transport sections. The improved shadows are more blurry and look more realistic. The special switch tracks were added to make dual stations, they can also be used for other applications such as storage tracks. The 4D track is quite detailed, please notice that the position of the extra rails that control the 4D rotation will vary along the track depending on the 4D rotation angle. And last but not least: It is done when it is done, it is that simple. There is not much left to do, I am working on the station building right now. I need to transfer a couple of older coaster styles to NL2 yet, and there is some small stuff to be done like creating the manual etc. Since this will be a completely new software product that has not much in common with NL1, basically everything is different, it will not be a simple update. Releasing the product requires more planning, so I cannot give you a release date at this point, even if it would be done right now. [ol]

[youtube2]

[/youtube2]

nl2mc2012pic6.thumb.jpg.00ae86509117360aa337f422b29c1284.jpg

4D Track

nl2mc2012pic5.thumb.jpg.a389bd9fda70006cf9102c6818957ddf.jpg

Track Switch

nl2mc2012pic3.thumb.jpg.94353766b569277258f9e3fa0c21be0d.jpg

Updated Catwalks

nl2mc2012pic4.thumb.jpg.49e3f6a74eb4fd79edec7b1e7ab3b0f6.jpg

New shadows (B&M FLYER!)

nl2mc2012pic1.jpg.7e5413885f97ff4488a19e83be4df55c.jpg

Radius comb