TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Illum Hills [RCT3]

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone, and no, it's just one ride, but it's very detailed and takes up a large area, so it could be considered one!

Announcement time!

Warner's Illum Hills Announces Additions for Year 8

Illum Hills announced one of its most detailed and immersive rides today, Kanaloa Rapids, a water rapids ride that takes riders on a wet and wild journey through a Hawaiian landscape. In Hawaiian legend, Kanaloa was god of the Seas who could either bless or curse those that traveled it. Guests will enter the ride queue past bamboo houses and palm trees, traveling past huts and houses of the native villagers who have gone missing. They will then make their way to the main station where they will board round boats that will help them search for the missing villagers. But Kanaloa will not be blessing this journey with calm seas, riders are guaranteed to get wet with rough rapids, waterfalls, and water jets as they make their journey! Another exciting addition is coming just for kids as Yosemite Sam's Kids Corral opens with Climbing structures and slides! Kanaloa Rapids and the new kids section will be opening with the rest of Illum Hills on April 19th to begin its 8th season!

A look at the completed ride area for Kanaloa Rapids

• 3 weeks later...

I've said it before and I'm saying it again--this is one amazing park! Everything is spot on. The landscape is beautiful, the coasters look so realistic (I especially LOVE how you did Mine Mountain Madness), and I love the Halloween event! I hope you update soon!

P.S. Since this is a timeline park, are you going to put in a B&M eventually? Either way, I love it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, here's the story on why it has taken close to 2 years to update this park and come back to posting.

This was my first attempt at an RCT3 park many years ago, I think I actually started it back in 2007 and brought it over here in 2008. After lots of updates, college started to get into the way and I took a break, passing it off to someone on the Atari forums that basically destroyed it and then left it for dead. After that, I decided I couldn't let it die, so I returned to it and provided some updates again. Then a laptop crash took all my data away and I was able to restore it and save the park and its progress and dive back into it after a 3 month absence. By that point I tried to come up with updates, but ran into a creative block and then my summer job at Six Flags took over my life, I never found any time to play.

Around May 2009, the project sat idle on my computer. I attempted to play again come fall, but college work had become ridiculously hard and time consuming and my creative drive had left me. Another computer crash corrupted my hard drive and took everything with it, including my park and all of its backup saves. At this time, I declared the park a loss, and moved on to other games like Bioshock and eventually, I fell victim to Minecraft. After building an awesome oasis in Minecraft, I was set upon by griefers and they destroyed my creation. I gave up on Minecraft shortly after that, realizing how much time I had lost playing it and how much I missed RCT3.

So how did I find the park again? While shut inside during the great December blizzard of 2010, I was busy scanning family pictures and saving them to an external hard drive. While looking through this drive, I found one of my recovery images from my old laptop, and inside I found my park and saves! I opened them back up again and started playing and building, remembering what fun it was again. The only thing left was to see what new Custom Scenery and Rides had been created. I went back to the Atari forums and all I found was a shell of the former community. So now I've decided to search around ShyGuy's World for what has been created, I'm still catching up on new things and I've yet to explore Vodhin's site.

I wandered over here to look at my past updates for inspiration and see where I left off. I thought I'd find it on the 10th page and boy was I shocked the other day to find it on the front page with people asking it to come back! I never thought it was that popular on these boards and to have people come back and bump it 2 years later just made me feel all special again. I thought it was the perfect time for it to rise from the dead much like my username did those many years ago. So enjoy as Illum Hills roars back to life with the Spring Season 8 update coming soon!

And here's a new picture of Kanaloa Rapids just to whet your appetites.

• 9 months later...