TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

p. 32 - AWESOME DreamWorks Water Park trip report!

Sounds like they're copying Kalahari, except they're forgetting one key element. Kalahari prices are high to keep away non-resort-guests. The waterpark is (I believe) included with a night's stay, or at least comes at a steeeeeeeeeep discount. This keeps the guest experience at a high, keeps demand relatively constant, and enhances their business model.

American Dream is just pricing out their only clientele. Dumbasses.

The three largest overnight waterparks in the area do offer free admission to guests, but the standard room rate for two adults and two kids is in the $500 range. Prices are just insane in the New York area to begin with.

This article, sums up the current competition among waterparks in the area. I didn't realize there were that many indoor parks. They are pricing themselves at the high end, but not completely out of line with the major players. I would have to think families are either going to go wherever is closest if they are not making an overnight trip, unless someplace has a standout attraction. As someone not following the waterpark I have no idea if American Dream has any ride of that type.

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2020/02/itll-cost-you-99-to-go-to-american-dreams-water-park-heres-how-others-compare.html

Welp, never going to the waterpark here.

Are they stupid? Or do they just think they can due to the proximity to NYC and the ridiculousness of cost of living there?

Do they expect people to chose this over SFGAdv's waterpark at these prices?

The pricing is ridiculous, but my assumption is that they are pricing high right now when they are the only game in town. Come summer when all the normal summer outdoor recreation activities are available and other water parks are open, if they still expect people to pay $105....

Edited by larrygator
  • Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I ended up visiting the Dreamworks Water Park for the second time this past Thursday. Wait, what, second time?! Believe it or not, I was one of the few people that managed to sneak a visit in during t

I went last week and Sandy's Blasting Bronco was in fact open.  The ride is fantastic.  It's easily the most intense backwards launch out there and all 3 Immelmanns feel wildly different.  It's probab

I went to the park last Friday and everything was a walk on. Picked up the Shredder and Sandy credits since they were both closed on my visit last December. Shredder was awesome and I would highly rec

Posted Images

I read that article too. The trick is what KBrylczyk said: those that are similarly priced have hotels, and are doing so to keep the amount of non-hotel guests to a minimum, since their bread and butter are the overnight stays. Those that do not have hotels are almost universally substantially cheaper that the one at the AD, which, also does not have a hotel.

Being a regional native I'm used to people financially taking a dump on my chest, though I'll really need to take a shower after this one.

I'm not even mad, just disappointed.

Being a regional native I'm used to people financially taking a dump on my chest, though I'll really need to take a shower after this one.

Edited by coasterbill

I don't understand how anyone in the NY region could be surprised by the prices. My kids can blow through 70 dollars of ride tickets at Deno's in Coney Island in about an hour or two. Last night I spent $160/ticket for a 75 minute broadway show. If they can keep the customer service high, I don't think that price for a climate controlled and massive waterpark is at all outrageous.

I don't understand how anyone in the NY region could be surprised by the prices. My kids can blow through 70 dollars of ride tickets at Deno's in Coney Island in about an hour or two. Last night I spent $160/ticket for a 75 minute broadway show. If they can keep the customer service high, I don't think that price for a climate controlled and massive waterpark is at all outrageous.

Those prices are exactly why I never find the need to go to Coney Island and would much rather head to Great Adventure. Broadway show wise there are plenty of ways to get discounted tickets to many of the shows currently running, even more so if you're a local and can either rush a show or enter numerous lottos.

I have $20 on the waterpark opening being delayed for some nonsense actual reason but being with the publicly stated reason due to coronavirus

Fixed that for you.

To all those who said this mall would close just a few months after opening, you were right.

Like 5 years ago, somewhere on the internet I posted:

"We will know when the next recession will hit. It will happen right when American Dream sets an opening date"

I wish I could find that post

• 2 months later...

Can we just all agree that it's this mall's fault that the whole world collapsed?!?! I mean, we all said this would never happen, this park would never open, it would open when pigs fly, etc.

We let the park open and this happened. Gosh, imagine what would have happened had the water park actually opened up too!?!??!

Haha I was just thinking the same thing the other day. We all joked that American Dream would open when the world ended, and what do you know...

Posted (edited)

This place is going to print money and has already shown that it can draw crowds despite ludicrous prices. I have no idea what people are on about. When I first saw their pricing and terrible marketing I was with you but in practice it’s making me eat crow despite all of that.

Edited by coasterbill
  • 2 weeks later...

I mean, I’m sure a ton of their tenants couldn’t pay rent. Not at all surprising. They’ll get refinanced given the circumstances so long as their tenants open back up. Otherwise I’d say they are done for.

• 2 months later...