TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

p. 32 - AWESOME DreamWorks Water Park trip report!

Not flipping the table back around after the ride would also reduce maintenance costs, I really hope they don't wait for it to flip all the way back around each time haha... seems really pointless.

This has me more excited than all the other coasters in the park, especially after hearing that Shellraiser is as rough as Takabisha. Those trains were *not* meant for these size rides and it's clear when you ride them.

I'm surprised that this coaster doesn't have a triple launch, and I completely agree that single launches are way more fun. From a practical standpoint, though, if I'm not mistaken triple launches require significantly less power than normal launches, which is why they're becoming so common. It takes a lot to move a coaster train, and launches aren't free for the parks.

Plus it's a bit of a gimmick. Saying that a coaster has a triple launch sounds a lot more impressive than just a launch.

From photos, it looks like Intamin's newer lap bar like Taron. If it's like that, it's ridiculously comfortable.

Great, that's what I was hoping for

I'm surprised that this coaster doesn't have a triple launch, and I completely agree that single launches are way more fun. From a practical standpoint, though, if I'm not mistaken triple launches require significantly less power than normal launches, which is why they're becoming so common. It takes a lot to move a coaster train, and launches aren't free for the parks.

Plus it's a bit of a gimmick. Saying that a coaster has a triple launch sounds a lot more impressive than just a launch.

In addition, a multi-pass launch allows for a train to reach a higher top speed in a smaller space, like on Gale Force and the Sky Rocket coasters. For coasters that want to run more than one train, a multi-pass launch with a switch track can also naturally extend a ride's duration, reducing the time that riders end up waiting on the final block section, since most launched coasters are pretty short.

I was in the area, so I decided to stop into Nickelodeon Universe. It's a nice-looking park (no trees like the Minnesota one, but it's bright and vibrant) and the ride lineup should be great once everything is up-and-running.

I got there at opening at the place was dead. I made a lap hitting every attraction in less than 1-1.5 hours. I strongly recommended this approach since their operations are quite slow as of now. When I left midday and returned around 4 and the place was packed with families. Shellraiser was still a walk-on, but rides like Slime Streak, the swings, and the monorail had full queues.

I knew Sandy's hasn't opened yet (saw it test though) and that the flipping bumper cars have been down, but I was surprised Shredder and Skyline Scream were closed all day. Half-Pipe and Atom Smasher have had a lot of issues all-day, but I did get on them.

Last but not least, I felt very awkward there as a single adult. This is coming from someone who is fine going to Story Land or Sesame Place alone. I was asked by security multiple times why I was there alone and asked to show my ID. This happened if I took photos of any rides or they saw me alone on the midway. I know they're doing their job, but I definitely am feeling paranoid after it happened for the third time (they came up to me again while I was sitting on a park bench writing this).

Last but not least, I felt very awkward there as a single adult. This is coming from someone who is fine going to Story Land or Sesame Place alone. I was asked by security multiple times why I was there alone and asked to show my ID. This happened if I took photos of any rides or they saw me alone on the midway. I know they're doing their job, but I definitely am feeling paranoid after it happened for the third time (they came up to me again while I was sitting on a park bench writing this).

That is crazy

Water dummies typically come with a ride purchase, so I don’t buy that.

One thing to note though they were using S&S Sansei dummies on halfpipe when it was testing, dont know much about this, does intamin not make their own dummies or something?

I can confirm Sandy's was using dummies that said S&S Sansei.

I was asked by security multiple times why I was there alone and asked to show my ID. This happened if I took photos of any rides or they saw me alone on the midway. I know they're doing their job, but I definitely am feeling paranoid after it happened for the third time (they came up to me again while I was sitting on a park bench writing this).

I would ask to speak with management about this. Completely unacceptable. Its not their job to harass paying customers.

Man, you were in north Jersey. You should be happy you walked out of the encounter with all of your teeth LOL.

In all seriousness, it has everything to do with the fact that they were scrambling for employees and hired whoever applied.

This isn't the only park that does it, I've heard Adventure Island in Southend UK have/used to approach adults by themselves and asked them to explain why they are by themselves taking pictures and then told them they can't take pictures because the pictures had to obly be of your own friends/families.

^ I was expecting that to be a kids park, but I was surprised to see some bigger rides there.

Man, you were in north Jersey. You should be happy you walked out of the encounter with all of your teeth LOL.

In all seriousness, it has everything to do with the fact that they were scrambling for employees and hired whoever applied.

The security staff I interacted with were friendly. I didn't feel unsafe or anything.

Back on page 44, we discussed the water park and what kind of pricing it would have.

It still hasn't opened, and no date has been given, but buried in the website I found the following:

Tickets:

$44.10 General

$35.10 Under 48"

$35.10 Seniors Discount

$26.10 Seniors Under 48" Discount

$22.50 Beach Pass

Thats....reasonable! I assume the beach pass is just for parents to lounge by the wave pool. Thats a cool policy, most places charge full admission for that.

For reference, Hurricane Harbor charges:

General Admission $48.99

Children Under 48" $38.99

And the indoor resorts in the Poconos charge $80+

This is all subject to change of course. At these prices, I hope to visit in late January when the kids are in school and I can go on like a Wednesday and have the place to myself.

I'd think the seniors under 48" is for grandparents to ride the kiddie rides with grandkids, but not any of the big rides on their own. (Sort of like how Little Amerricka has the different colored wristbands.)

Checked out the mall last night, very impressed with this place. Arrived a little later than we hoped, but still managed to do everything in the last two hours. Everything was a walk on and didn't have to wait for anything. Shellraiser was awesome, back row is definitly better, but the wind in the front row is great. I thought the first half was ok in the front, but the potholes show a bit on the second half especially at the bottom of the drop. The vertical lift and the hold at the top is a lot of fun. Managed to get 5 rides.

Slimestreak was fun, trains are very small though. Restraints are not very good either. Two adults will have to squeeze in to one row. The layout is great and it was very smooth. The half-pipe was fun as well and had some good hangtime. The restraints were really good. The ride did not spin at all though, I think it would be way more fun if it did. Maybe it will in the future?

The flat collection here is awesome as well. Krang was easily my favorite, tons of fun and you get insanely close to the ceiling. Super fun. Atom Smasher was a surprise too, really fun ride. Air Gliders was ok, its fun but didn't seem to like it as much as the one at Luna Park. The ropes course is a highlight as well. We went straight to the top and worked our way down. Spent close to 40 minutes here, seems like an issue since the lockers are only for an hour. Could have spent even longer on it. Just this alone is worth most of the admission cost in my opionion. The views were awesome and it was cool watching Sandy test the entire time.

Will definilty be back in a few months when everything is open and running consistantly. The drop tower was having a netting system installed around it, lots of welders were hard at work. I'm guessing it will open once that is finished. Sandy was testing the whole time and looked pretty much ready to go. Shredder did not test at all though so not sure what is wrong with that, I am looking forward to giving that a try eventually. Overall the mall was very impressive, it is a must visit place. The water park looks insane as well, very impressive to look at. I would recommend going on a weekday and doing the twilight admission, you can easily get everything done, and the park looks insanely cool at night.

^ Skyline Scream already had some netting on Saturday. I noticed in a video from yesterday that Skyline Scream was parked atop the tower. On Saturday, the vehicle was at the bottom. I know the vehicle is supposed to rotate at the top, but it the rotation wasn't working when it opened. Maybe they're trying to fix that?

For Shredder, I've seen a few trip reports mention the ride struggles to engage the chain which causes it to "valley". I didn't see it testing last weekend either.