TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

Ouch.

Im rooting for this place, potential is the key word it is all soooo close and tbh their lineup looks real solid! I am dying to ride TMNT, Sandy (if it opens!?) and half pipe and the spinner look fun. I want this to work out but it really does feel uphill and do we know the investors? This whole thing feels like either some shady Russian investor using this as a $ stash OR some people in the hole are squeezing what they can before it folds lol

That said I'll surely go in Sept, but dang it kills me it's so costly. I really wanna do those few rides, a pay-per/ride package deal would be superb

I've never heard of any other place making people pay the difference like that on a pre-purchased ticket. So does that theoretically mean they could raise the price to $100 and if you don't pay the extra $40, you aren't refunded your original purchase?

I'm sorry you had a bad time. I enjoyed myself there despite a lot of closed rides and the industrial look. I do think it looked better at night with the lights though.

Can anyone think of any other business/product/service where if you buy something and then they raise the price later they charge you the difference!?!?

Tesla lets you skip on their "full self driving" option and charges whatever the "current" price is (which can increase), plus $1,000, if you enable it later in your ownership.

^ That sounds like an airline where you can buy a checked bag for less when you initially buy the ticket, but if you wait until the last minute it costs more.

This would be like buying the "full self driving" option for $1,000 and then being told Tesla raised it to $1,500 and you had to pay an extra $500.

Okay glad everyone is on my side with the ticketing, haha. I still have the ticket to prove it, too. I'm not making that shit up!

I am not doubting that they charged you extra, because this is not the first time I have heard of it occurring at this park. But what you highlighted does not allow them to charge extra unless your changing the day or time. That text is specifically about exchanging your ticket.

Looking through the information online I cannot find anything that allows them to charge extra just because they raised their prices between when you bought your ticket and your visit.

Geez... this place sounds kind of terrible. I'm going to be in the area at the end of May, but it's sounding like the Sandy launched coaster isn't going to really"fix" the park.

It sucks because I want to theme park when I'm vacationing, but none of the parks in the NYC area are great, and I'm not the type of person that visits a park just because there are credits. Do you guys think Nickelodeon Universe is worth going to just because it is new? The other options for me are Rye Playland and Coney Island.

^ I actually really like Coney Island. The Cyclone is one of my favorite wooden coasters anywhere and the atmosphere is really electric around there. I prefer Coney Island to Nickelodeon Universe.

That being said, Nickelodeon Universe has the better steel coasters. I'd say Shellraiser and Sandy's (when it opens) are far more than just a credit run.

Rye Playland is easily the worst of the three parks. It's an ok park, but none of the attractions are true standouts in my opinion.

Respectfully disagree. Dragon Coaster is quite good and a landmark, their Derby Racer is awesome and one of two left in the US, they've got a log flume and a whip, a bunch of other classic rides, not to mention the dark rides. Let's not forget that it's $30 for an unlimited-rides wristband.

The only thing NU has on it is the Takashiba clone, and MAYBE their drop tower. Sorry, but in my book, two rides are not worth $60-70.

Hey, so remember when the new $69 per day “peak pricing” was introduced and it was just going to be for a week?

Yeah, looking at the calendar it’s just the permanent price now no matter what day you select.

Edited by coasterbill

Yeah, I noticed that when I was looking at prices earlier.

I guess I can wait a little while before deciding on whether to visit. My trip is not until the very end of May. Maybe Nickelodeon Universe will turn it around before then... somehow...

Just noticed they are doing a weekday rides schedule Monday-Thursday, this likely started today. Basically most of the big rides and the ropes course are open all the time, but all the other rides rotate being open/closed every 30 minutes. Don’t like the sound of this or the direction this place is going.

Personally I'm shocked. Shocked, I say!

You'd think with the "retail component" supposedly opening in a few weeks, there'd be some more press about it...but nope, nothing, not even from the AD's paid apologists over at NJ.com.

And what about that waterpark?

This tragedy of errors cannot get worse.