TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

Oh it's an absolute joke imo. That they tried this thing 1: at a time when malls are dying 2 after SO many years (I was in HS so we're talking pre 2006 and this project was being worked on.... not to mention its ugly not finished eyesore sitting there at all our tailgates) they still pressed on 3 the area is indeed a bad area logistically, the thought of driving here makes me ill 4 I heard there were issues like it opened but not all the permits were secured...

Honestly all this is the only reason I "want" to go, I fully expect this will fail and went to get on the steepest coaster on Earth while I can, esp since I've heard it (or Takabisha) is pretty good.

On that note...last I heard this ride wasn't even open after it opened... the site (which gives me no hope) says opening soon....is Shellraiser even open?

I agree I want this to succeed as well. Who wouldn't? Esp for us locals/those who visit yearly it'd be cool to pop over here. Just it does seem doomed to fail

So you drove there for for "all our tailgates" but can't stand to drive there for a quality indoor amusement park? Also, the traffic loading and unloading an 80K capacity stadium is much different than that generated by a mall/entertainment center. If you're really concerned, just avoid a game day. I fully expect that once this is fully open, the mall (and local tour agencies) are going to do a lot more to get the tourist market in.

I'm not sure why New Jersey residents would rather see this fail, have all of their tax money be a waste, and again have a giant abandoned building on the side of their highway than be glad to enjoy an entertainment center without peer in the area. Good thing the region has plenty of New Yorkers and 60-something million tourists a year!

Well I AM going thought that was clear, and I deff do NOT want it fail, I also thought that was clear, so strike 2. Good thing ya ended the comment there before the full strike out!

Also glad to see the comments oscillate between horrible despair and horrible over defensiveness....gotta dig the enthusiast community sometimes

Anywho thanks to the reasonable responses!

Yeah Bill the site really is awful. Where are yall seeing what is open or not? Maybe Im In the wrong place, on the site I saw Shellraiser as "opening soon"

And hey, I hope to god its all sorted with time. Despite what some here feel I would love for this to succeed. This would be closer to me than GreatAdv and since I often go home in winter when parks are closed/Im not going Id love for this to be an option. Just thus far I see nada to give me confidence.

Yeah Bill the site really is awful. Where are yall seeing what is open or not? Maybe Im In the wrong place, on the site I saw Shellraiser as "opening soon"

I clicked on the "Park Alerts" thing on the home page in the little black bar and it opens a popup but I have no idea if this information is right and knowing this place it's probably not.

Edited by coasterbill

the area is indeed a bad area logistically,

I'm actually curious about where you think is a better 'logistical' location, with no traffic it takes 10 minutes to get there from midtown, this is closer to the city than either MOA or WEM

When praytell is this magical time of day when there's no traffic in the Lincoln tunnel? 3 AM?

Looking at Google maps from "Midtown Manhattan" to "American Dream," the time, with realistic traffic, is estimated from anywhere from 18 to 45 minutes depending on the time of day, from 10 AM to 6 PM. Or did you mean by train and bus hopping? Sorry, that'll be 35-52 minutes.

And again, comparisons to the Mall of America are not valid, since out there, there is literally nothing else to do, and people from outside urban areas have no issue driving 1-2 hours, if not more, for attractions.

But this is all speculation at the moment, with only the partially-open amusement park and ice rink (without bleachers so they can't even host school or amateur league games) operational. When (if) the rest of American Dream ever opens (I mean, who doesn't do a massive amount of shopping in March or ignores real mountains for indoor skiing in December?), we'll see how long before it closes or comes begging for more tax breaks/state hand-outs to survive. I give it a year at best.

The park seems to be pretty busy on weekends despite being the only thing operating in the mall except a skating rink, them having an incompetent marketing team and the price point being way too high for what the park is offering right now (considering two major coasters are still under construction).

I don't think travel time is an issue. People bus up to Woodbury Commons from NYC in droves which is much further away and is just a premium outlet center with no entertainment options to speak of.

I don't think travel time is an issue. People bus up to Woodbury Commons from NYC in droves which is much further away and is just a premium outlet center with no entertainment options to speak of.

Not to mention that people will go 10 hours round trip on ski day trips, Yes we have much to do in New York Metropolitan area, but we literally have nothing even close to this, we barely even have FEC's around here I think there may be like 2 in my county of 1 million people.

The park seems to be pretty busy on weekends despite being the only thing operating in the mall except a skating rink, them having an incompetent marketing team and the price point being way too high for what the park is offering right now (considering two major coasters are still under construction).

It’s almost like when your park can fit only 7500-10000 guests and your market is over 40 million people - you’ll never have to worry about attendance.

Looks like the ski slope will open Dec 5 on schedule

Prices aren't terrible.

"The package for first-timers will start at $49.99. It includes an equipment rental, helmet, ski pants and a jacket, a slope access ticket and a complimentary introductory lesson through SNOW Operating’s proprietary Terrain Based Learning method of instruction.

For those who have their own equipment, a slope access ticket for those ages 7 and up will cost $34.99 for two hours or $49.99 for four hours."

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2019/11/trail-map-for-american-dream-malls-ski-park-shows-what-it-will-look-like-inside.html

Should be a decent place to teach the kids the basics before heading up to Vermont

They wont have alcohol, but they say a Yard House will open next door, probably in March?

The twilight ticket seems like an ok deal, could probably get everything done in 3 hours. Plus the whole place looks amazing at night. It looks like the half pipe is very close to opening (employees rode yesterday), so I might check the place out when it does. Sandy is still probably a month out at the earliest.

People in the area have the one of the highest if not the highest average commute time in the country. They'll go. Once. Hopefully they'll be able to make a market out of once-in-a-lifetime visitors or they'll start offering season passes.

I clicked on the "Park Alerts" thing on the home page in the little black bar and it opens a popup but I have no idea if this information is right and knowing this place it's probably not.

Thanks! Will be sure to check that out.

Hell, its already a packed trip seeing people, going to NYC etc

You're right 2 rides are still not yet open. So looks like there's Shellraiser, a spinning ride and a family. For $60??? Pay for parking. Yikes. I really hoped for a pay for ride deal. I was willing to shell out prob more than I should for the creds but nah... When I visit next year maybe then if more is open

I spent the day at Nickelodeon Universe yesterday with the family. We arrived shortly after the 10 AM opening to an empty park and though for sure we’d be able to ride every ride multiple times. We got on the carousel, slime streak, and shredder and played in the paw patrol area by ourselves. Then as we headed over to the shimmer and shine ride (day 1130 or so), the crowds started pouring in. For the remainder of the day the crowds continued to grow. We were able to get on the ropes course, skyline, and shellraiser with only a few minute wait for each, but everything else had a 15-30 minute wait - including, especially, every kids ride.

By the end of our 6.5 hours there (with a 1/2 hour break for lunch), we managed to ride the three open roller coasters twice but missed atom smasher, Krang, avatar air bender, the Dora train, Ferris wheel, jellyfish jam, crosstown express.

In other words, the park was mobbed with families and there was plenty to do at that pace to fill a whole day. And living 45 minutes away (yes, it was a 15 minute drive from midtown on a Saturday AM) it meant we will be back. I see this place doing just fine - and think the high pay one price may be necessary to keep the crowds manageable on the weekends.

All in all we were very impressed. The rides were fun (shellraiser is truly a top tier ride and both of the other open coasters proved to be hits as well) and the staff was very friendly! Their operations could be a bit quicker, but they were working hard (slime streak’s team was timing themselves to try to gain improvement).

My one odd complaint is that shellraiser and shredder still had construction dust on them. Given that they’ll never see a good rain, they could use a washing!

I spent the day at Nickelodeon Universe yesterday with the family. We arrived shortly after the 10 AM opening to an empty park and though for sure we’d be able to ride every ride multiple times. We got on the carousel, slime streak, and shredder and played in the paw patrol area by ourselves. Then as we headed over to the shimmer and shine ride (day 1130 or so), the crowds started pouring in. For the remainder of the day the crowds continued to grow. We were able to get on the ropes course, skyline, and shellraiser with only a few minute wait for each, but everything else had a 15-30 minute wait - including, especially, every kids ride.

By the end of our 6.5 hours there (with a 1/2 hour break for lunch), we managed to ride the three open roller coasters twice but missed atom smasher, Krang, avatar air bender, the Dora train, Ferris wheel, jellyfish jam, crosstown express.

In other words, the park was mobbed with families and there was plenty to do at that pace to fill a whole day. And living 45 minutes away (yes, it was a 15 minute drive from midtown on a Saturday AM) it meant we will be back. I see this place doing just fine - and think the high pay one price may be necessary to keep the crowds manageable on the weekends.

All in all we were very impressed. The rides were fun (shellraiser is truly a top tier ride and both of the other open coasters proved to be hits as well) and the staff was very friendly! Their operations could be a bit quicker, but they were working hard (slime streak’s team was timing themselves to try to gain improvement).

My one odd complaint is that shellraiser and shredder still had construction dust on them. Given that they’ll never see a good rain, they could use a washing!

Thanks for the report!

It looks like this really is a draw for families, which should mean it will continue to be quiet weekdays and mobbed weekends and holidays.

---

Also, the Big Snow website is live (and is much better than the Nickelodeon website)

https://www.bigsnowamericandream.com

We just got our first snow of the year and most local ski areas are either open or opening within the next 2 days so I feel like this is the worst possible time to open an indoor ski-slope an hour from the Poconos but I hope they prove me wrong.

Either way, I expect this place to be extremely successful long-term.

Edited by coasterbill

LOL I came to post that even though they hit the opening date it's still a work in progress...

The Big SNOW that was unveiled Thursday, with blank walls on three sides, is not what the finished space will look like.

Don Ghermezian, CEO of American Dream’s developer, Triple Five, said the chalet decor on the wall of Big SNOW that skiers see as they descend the hill is inspired by a chalet he likes in Aspen.

“This entire interior will have trees ... murals ... so you’re really going to feel like you’re not inside of a shopping mall, that you’re skiing at a world-class ski resort,” he said.

Ghermezian said Big SNOW is the widest indoor ski park in the world because they added a bunny ski hill for kids. Still to come are moguls, a double black diamond run and a snow play component, which will start next week, he said.

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2019/12/indoor-ski-slope-at-american-dream-is-open-heres-a-first-look-inside.html

Supposedly this thing was the first thing completed at the mall, and was actually ready to go 5+ years ago.

And they still couldnt get it ready in time for their media day wtf

Big Snow is supposed to open this afternoon!

is it just me or do the prices for Big Snow seem very reasonable? The package that includes all the rentals, training, and a 2 hour slope pass as low as $49.99 online seems like a good deal.

I'd gladly make a full day doing Big Snow and the theme park once all 5 coasters are running. Plus Lombardi's over in NYC...

It is relatively reasonably priced for a snow sports venue just outside NYC proper.

There are many things going on in the snow sports world right now in regards to pricing and affordability, but this seems like the correct moves for a place like this. It'll actually be more interesting to watch what happens as we get into April and the rest of the East Coast has wrapped up their seasons. That is where the real $$$ can be made by this place if they are willing to put in proper training avenues

Agree with the reasonable pricing. Skiing is usually super expensive and this at least will make it more accessible. I really like these indoor ski places and the process and timing and how it all works, I really hope this succeeds.

So... did everyone already know that Sandy's Blasting Bronco has a turntable as a station and blasts through the layout both forwards and backwards? I didn't but OMG!!! Every element looks great and it's testing at full speed (sometimes with riders) as we speak.

I love Intamin. I love them so much.

Edited by coasterbill