TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

So two coasters are open? Lol

Lol that's exactly why I would never pay to go this weekend. I read in a few places that it was never sold out for this weekend and instead there are workers just giving out free wrist bands for this weekend but I only saw that on a few comments so not sure how true it is.

I expect them to keep tweaking the pricing structure as they gauge demand and objectively I get why you would be this aggressive off the bat and I don't ever expect this place to be cheap but when I see them charging $80 I do sort of feel like they could maybe benefit from putting the crackpipe down.

Edited by coasterbill

I also hope for their sake that they offer a non pay-one-price option once the rest of the mall opens. So many people at Mall of America and Galaxyland just wanted to go on one or two rides in between shopping. They won't get those people if $80 is the only option.

I have relatives in Jersey, and already was planning to visit them again with my kids next year, and hitting up SFGAdv while there. But it'll be nice to have this place to go to, as well! Hopefully everything is more ironed out, and running more smoothly by then. Still looks pretty cool though!

The kids have been eagerly watching the footage that's been popping up on Youtube and wherever, and they're both very excited to go, but given the state of things we aren't buying any tickets just yet. The earliest I see us getting out there is sometime in December, and even that's questionable depending on whether or not the water park is up and running, all the rides at Nickelodeon Universe are up and running, and we can get some solid, concrete information on what rides are available at what height restrictions.

Holy crap, there's a webpage for the park finally. .

I mean yay for height restrictions being posted but there's not a single picture for the rides so I have no idea what half of them even match up to so if I was ever somehow in the area to take my son I'd have no idea what is there he likes.

For example, most of the descriptions match the shows and don't do much to describe the ride. There are an Aangs air-racers under the Just for Tots section. It's described as 'Hold on tight as you soar and spin like an Airbender. After your flight, you can snap a picture with Appa, Aang's sky bison.'

I see the '48 height restriction and think it's weird but maybe it means needs to be accompanied with a '48 or above guardian and assume then it will be something like a kidde spinner that lifts off the ground a little while rotating (which describes most kiddie rides as it is). Nope, after having to look around Youtube videos turns out it's an air race because some-one just copied and pasted it over.

Its so weird to me that theyve had so f-ing long to get this thing open and they botched all the basics like a website.

Like I understand a coaster part from Germany getting stuck in customs and not making it in time. Thats unpredictable and happens.

But things like the web page should have been finalized and ready to publish a year ago when they were planning a March 2019 open.

You can't blame crappy contractors or red tape for that. Thats pure incompetence at the top.

I think Ill try to visit in like February, before the shops open.

Welcome to the saga of American Dream. When you realize that this project has been in the works since the Clinton Administration, it puts things into perspective.

Welcome to the saga of American Dream. When you realize that this project has been in the works since the Clinton Administration, it puts things into perspective.

I understand construction delays, since thats the standard for infrastructure.

IE: They started digging the second avenue subway in the early 70s and phase 2 is now set to open sometime around 2025.

It's the soft stuff that shouldn't fail.

I mean yay for height restrictions being posted but there's not a single picture for the rides so I have no idea what half of them even match up to so if I was ever somehow in the area to take my son I'd have no idea what is there he likes.

Allow me, Theme Park Review's resident "I can pick out the type of ride just by looking at it because it's actually my job" guy.

The Aang / Avatar ride is an Air Race looping plane ride (like the one at Luna Park). There are a bunch of rides themed to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Shellraiser being the Takabisha clone and largest coaster. Shredder is the tamer spinning coaster, and the Kraang ride is a swing pendulum ride that goes upside-down over the top. Timmy's Half Pipe Havoc is an Intamin half pipe, Sandy's Blasting Bronco is a new Intamin launched coaster similar to Gale Force at Castaway Cove. Skyline Scream is an S&S tower, and Slime Streak is a Chance family coaster. Jimmy Neutron's Atom Smasher is a Chance Unicoaster like BrainSurge at the Minnesota park, where the cars run around in a circle and you can use a lever to roll the seat forward or backward.

Weirdly, Aang's Air Gliders is listed as a kids' ride AND a thrill ride, it is most certainly not a kids' ride.

^Yea, I noticed it was in both which is why I thought it'd make a good example of how bad the site is of telling me what rides there actually are for my 4-year-old when there isn't a single picture and the descriptions tell me nothing about what they really do.

Like I understand a coaster part from Germany getting stuck in customs and not making it in time. That's unpredictable and happens.

Wait, what's the story with this? I mean, generally only things get caught up in customs, when dealing with international freight, are things that are regulated like USDA and FDA items. Generally finished steel items have no issue being customs cleared.

Prices are going up. Maybe AT&T secretly owns them:

https://abc7ny.com/shopping/prices-going-up-for-nickelodeon-theme-park-at-american-dream-mall-/5657302/

"EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (WABC) -- Prices for Nickelodeon Universe at the American Dream mall in the New Jersey Meadowlands are already going up.

The current All Access rate is just under $50, and $40 for General Access. But those prices will increase on November 15.

All Access will be about $80.

But those who want to skip the most thrilling rides and get the General Access will have to pay about $60.

The current rate has been a special preview admission price."

Like I understand a coaster part from Germany getting stuck in customs and not making it in time. That's unpredictable and happens.

Wait, what's the story with this? I mean, generally only things get caught up in customs, when dealing with international freight, are things that are regulated like USDA and FDA items. Generally finished steel items have no issue being customs cleared.

Sorry, part of that was my speculation.

The news said one of the coasters is waiting on a part from Germany.

I translated that to "stuck in customs" based on my own experience on a project where bicycle imported from Germany got held up for MONTHS by customs.

*IF* that was the case, it's worth noting anything can be held up, even more so now with all the tariff nonsense. Got to pay all the taxes/fees/tariffs before the item can be released.

To me, it's impressive the place is even at the stage it is at now with all the litigation and financial trouble it has gone through.

Edited by Jew

I've seen a few people post the park has a funky set of bumper cars where you ride in these gyrosphere things and they flip you if you get into a collision. Can anyone confirm because that sounds awesome?

Yes, not sure why it isn't listed on the website, but it's called "Invader Zim's Flip & Spin... of DOOM!!", and it's basically your average Spin Zone style bumpers but with the aforementioned gyros. You can see footage of it in action on Youtube. I'm really intrigued about that TBH.

*IF* that was the case, it's worth noting anything can be held up, even more so now with all the tariff nonsense. Got to pay all the taxes/fees/tariffs before the item can be released.

To me, it's impressive the place is even at the stage it is at now with all the litigation and financial trouble it has gone through.

Actually, Customs does not get payment at time of entry for items entering the US. Generally, a company employs a Customs Broker who handles customs clearance. There is generally 10 days once items clears customs to solidify all duties, taxes and fees and on the 11th day payment is to be remitted to customs or fees can be imposed. Once goods are "cleared" meaning no PGA or any customs holds are on the items, goods can be picked up. The new tariff crap only changes how much you are paying for items to enter, not holding up items as they are not requiring any additional steps as far as clearance. The worst that can happen is a customer disputes their bill or go through the process of trying to exempt their items for additional duties. But still, they would have already have their products.