TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

I'll happily pay it to go to the amusement park, water park or ski slope but why would anyone go to this mall to shop when they could just go to Garden State Plaza, Bergen Outlets, Paramus Park or any of the other nearby malls where parking is free?

I don't care and it's not my problem but I see them expanding this parking validation policy pretty quickly.

PS: Pro Tip: If you've been in the garage for 7:59 exit the garage and immediately re-enter.

So, you have to pay to park and it is located in the only county in the USA that forces all of the retail stores to be closed on Sundays. How did they convince any stores to rent there when half their weekend is shot and people have cheaper options on parking?

I don't really think the parking fee is a huge issue as it's pretty cheap (although the pricing structure is weird). They'll probably validate it if you spend enough. When I made that initial comment I didn't realize that the stores won't be open for another 6 months and they're literally just opening the park and an ice skating rink surrounded by active construction and closed shops.

I think, with a majority of Americans not having traditional M-F schedules anymore, being closed on a Sunday isn't that big of a deal as it would have been 20-30 years ago. I mean it works for chic-fil-a lol.

That's true. I know a lot of adults that have to work Saturdays and if you have kids in school M-F, then Sunday is your only errand day to go shopping, etc... Chic-fil-a seems to get adequate lunch and dinner traffic during the week to stay profitable enough for its owners without being open on Sunday. With mall stores struggling though, I wouldn't want to give up a busy weekend day unless I was getting a rent adjustment for it.

^Why would a family of four buy tickets if they are not even aware of the park?

How could a family of four buy tickets now if they are already sold out?

I think the bigger issue is people who will show up and not be able to purchase tickets. No need to promote something that is already sold out.

Just to add more drama since this place hasn't had enough lol, I'm sure they will get one though since the article does mention that other places have been granted a temporary one last minute.

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/10/2-days-before-its-opening-american-dream-still-has-no-certificate-of-occupancy.html

Less than 48 hours before the much-anticipated ribbon cutting for American Dream, the state has yet to issue a certificate of occupancy that would allow the long-delayed amusement and retail complex to open on Friday.

The state Department of Community Affairs (DCA) on Wednesday said it is still reviewing the permits of the sprawling entertainment venue and has not signed off on all the inspections.

“The American Dream facility does not have a certificate of occupancy at the present time,” DCA spokeswoman Lisa Ryan confirmed. “Inspection teams from DCA’s Division of Codes and Standards are at American Dream every day conducting inspections to make sure it is fully complying with all applicable fire, life safety, and building regulations required under the NJ Uniform Construction Code.”

Ryan said the division conducts inspections upon receiving requests from the American Dream developer, adding that the division was up to date on all permit applications it has received, and “continues to work with the developer to schedule and perform inspections as quickly as possible.”

The facility needs a certificate of occupancy to open. DCA officials would not say whether the lack of approval would affect Friday’s planned opening, but an administration official late Wednesday said only “that’s the plan.”

A spokeswoman for American Dream did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last minute permitting issues on major construction projects such as American Dream have been seen before.

The Prudential Center arena in Newark operated under a temporary certificate of occupancy when the building first opened in October 2007, which had to be renewed at regular intervals. But because of questions over the facility’s smoke evacuation system, the arena was required to pay firefighters to stand at stairwells during events for months.

In 2012, the opening of the Steel Pier in Atlantic City had to be delayed several days because the necessary paperwork allowing the operation of six of the eight new attractions had not been completed by the state. And in 2014, the opening of the Six Flags ride Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom was delayed because its permit was held up for review by the state Department of Community Affairs’ Carnival-Amusement Ride Safety Unit.

LOL who is surprised? No one. I'm surprised NJ.com even reported on this since they've been doing nothing but hyping this project with new articles every day for the past year.

Does anyone even know what rides will be operating opening day? There's precious little info, which suggests to me that there's nothing inside there working.

They haven't even put up a list of the rides that they have, let alone which ones will be operating. Everything we know is from a few vague instagram posts (from the mall itself, the park doesn't have a website or any social media platforms at all), images from a fashion shoot for a magazine in August and enthusiast fan sites.

Honestly from what I've heard I don't even think that they know what rides will be operating yet.

Edited by coasterbill

I really really enjoyed Takabisha much more than I anticipated so I'm very happy to have a clone of it in the States. Even riding it right after DoDoDonpa, the launch was great! There are so many inversions, but you can still enjoy each one. That's what I liked about the ride. There's even some airtime, too!

Heard they were just granted a temporary certificate.

Yup...

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/10/american-dream-mall-cleared-by-state-to-open-friday-morning.html

The American Dream mall in the Meadowlands has been given a state okay to open Friday.

After a long day of mounting concerns over whether it would be allowed to open as planned, the state Department of Community Affairs said it had issued a temporary certificate of occupancy, or TCO, to the huge entertainment complex in the Meadowlands.

Without a certificate of occupancy, American Dream would have been forced to remain closed to the public.

“The TCO ensures that the facility is safe to open and safe for people to occupy,” said DCA spokeswoman Gina Trish. “It will last for 90 days and can be renewed.”

Trish said once all regulations are met under the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code, the facility will be issued a permanent certificate of occupancy.

Does anyone even know what rides will be operating opening day? There's precious little info, which suggests to me that there's nothing inside there working.

They haven't even put up a list of the rides that they have, let alone which ones will be operating. Everything we know is from a few vague instagram posts (from the mall itself, the park doesn't have a website or any social media platforms at all), images from a fashion shoot for a magazine in August and enthusiast fan sites.

Honestly from what I've heard I don't even think that they know what rides will be operating yet.

Granted, I don't think this project is looking for that many customers who aren't local but I find it ridiculous that the existing site for MoA doesn't even have a promotional banner advertising there's a second park opening. Apart from the subheader of Mall of America on the banner, there's nothing that could even hint of a second park.

I feel like a few people would see Nickelodeon Universe opening, and just go to the official website and incorrectly just assume the parks have cloned rides and prices between them or not even realise that it's a different park.

I feel like Wikipedia gives me more information in one sentence about this new park than the existing Nickelodeon Universe site:

Nickelodeon Universe is the name of two indoor amusement parks located at Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota and American Dream Meadowlands in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

North Jersey / The record sent a reporter there today so you can follow along on their Instagram story, I'm really curious to see how everything goes today. Apparently took her 30 mins to park simply because there weren't any signs / nobody knew where they could park

https://instagram.com/northjerseynews?igshid=1n9dlesb8t36

Pics I've seen today look pretty cool. Rides are going. People seem to be having fun.

Agreed, coasters look great. I'll go eventually but I'd rather wait for the water park to be open as well as everything else so I probably won't bother until next year. I'm more waiting for info on season passes for both, if they have any before I go as well.

5 rides didnt open today

The rides that weren’t running around midday included: the Shredder, which is said to be the tallest and longest free-spinning roller coaster, Skyline Scream which will have the record for the tallest indoor spinning drop tower, SpongeBob’s Jellyfish Jam swing ride, Timmy’s Half-Pipe Havoc, and Sandy’s Blasting Bronco, a roller coaster named after SpongeBob SquarePants’ dive suit-wearing friend, Sandy Cheeks.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2019/10/nickelodeon-universe-at-american-dream-mall-is-open-but-not-all-the-rides-are-running.html