TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New In-Park Network

My opinion is that people are only complaining about this because they have some kind of bias against Six Flags.

I think that's exactly right. IMO, people are just looking for something to complain about.

Elissa said it best, and I'll quote it again in case it got missed since it was at the bottom of a page:

If this gives Six Flags more revenue, how is that a bad thing for us!?!?

More revenue = paying off debts = more money for new attractions or improvements in other areas of the park.

--Robb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that could possibly lower the parking fee, I'm cool with it.

Not in a billion years will Six Flags lower their parking rates. At least not while they're still charging like $2 for season passes.

I never thought SFMM's harshest critics would be praising the park's management team either. Proof that truly anything is possbile.

I never thought SFMM's harshest critics would be praising the park's management team either. Proof that truly anything is possbile.

Fair enough, but Six Flags is under a mountain of debt and needs every peso they can get their hands on. Parking is a huge revenue source for them. I imagine these sponsorships are intended to supplement to their existing revenue, not substitute for them.

SFMM has been on the right track, and that's great. If we enthusiasts want to take credit for putting fire under their butts until something was done, that's fine. However, I think it was more along the lines of "Well, we're not gonna sell it now, so...let's make it better." Mega Props to Jay Thomas and team.

I have no problem with advertising OR televisions in queue lines advertising as well. The bottom line is that SF is willing to spend money to keep their guests entertained whether walking through a midway, or standing in line. And if they make some chump change on the side, good for them.

These are awesome steps the company is making to provide services to the guests in the parks, its almost hard to believe this is the same company that was around 5 years ago dropping roller coasters in parking lots. I really like this move.

^^ And everyone was complaining when Six Flags parks were totally in the dumps, and they weren't doing anything to try and fix it. Now that they are trying to make some moves, all people do is criticize the moves that the company is making. People just like to hear themselves take and bi*ch.

I don't mind advertising but I still think SF takes it to far, I mentioned the timeshares in an earlier post, here is a picture of what I am talking about:

http://www.amusementpics.com/SFGAdvNotesFall2007/091607-005.jpg

And the picture someone posted a few posts up with the ads in Plaza Del Carnival is a perfect example of how similar it is to what I mentioned earlier about the timeshare ruining the theme of Fantasy Forest.

A few in park ads like Starburst, or a ride sponsorship ok, but I feel like SF is taking it too far and bombards you with ads.

^ Yeah, Universal has been doing those "get a backpack when you sign up for a credit card" areas for YEARS.

I just don't understand why people are complaining about this.

Honestly, if this type of thing in parks bothers you SO much...... Don't go.

Seriously. Advertizing in parks has been around for SO LONG, it's not like this is suddenly something new or Six Flags is really doing it any differently than any other park other than *maybe* Disney.

And if you are going to compare what Six Flags does to what Disney does...well...you're probably going to let yourself down.

--Robb "I still can't believe there are 4 pages of complaining about this..." Alvey

I don't mind advertising but I still think SF takes it to far, I mentioned the timeshares in an earlier post, here is a picture of what I am talking about:

You're complaining about the advertising because of that? Are you kidding me? That's nothing! What is that 20 square feet? Please! And even that other photo, c'mon, I can't believe some of you are complaining about this.

I'm beggining to think some people just don't want to be satisfied.

People just like to hear themselves take and bi*ch.

QFT.

They had that same setup at King's Island all last summer. Again, I think it's only bias against six flags. It doesn't bother me any, it isn't like there are people talking to you about time shares with high pressure sales techniques while you're waiting in line. THAT would be stepping over the line and taking it too far if you ask me. Every business needs to make revenue, and any place where you put thousands of people is going to be prime advertising space. Look at all major sporting events: ads everywhere. Every NASCAR race now is the "insert company here" 500 etc. Every college bowl game is sponsored. You can't escape advertising in our culture, so why would you expect a park to be any different.

They don't need to advertise their own rides, etc. They already HAVE your business.

-James Dillaman

All in all, if you are complaining about something, ask yourself a few questions....

Is this stand or booth keeping me from getting where I want to go - blocking my intended path?

Are the people trying to sell in an annoying manner?

Do the stand/booth or advertisements really affect my overall park experience?

People are complaining about banners and booths and how they don't fit in to a themed section of a park, but does that really affect your overall park experience? Personally, I feel like people are just complaining about a bunch of nothing.

If they are selling something that you don't want, don't go over to them, don't go to the website the ad or booth is promoting, and just move on with your day. Chances are if you don't respond to an ad, there is someone else that will, and that is the reason for the ad/booth/stand placement. Parks and companies do market research, and not everyone is annoyed by that kind of stuff.

Jeeze, I wouldnt of thought that this article would catch such an interest.

I'm not complaining about the additions...heck, I never go to the park when it is crowded enough to be standing in the que.

The only thing that I hope is that...just as somebody mention...is they keep the screens clean that people can watch whats on them.

I remember Hershey park had TV's thoughout the que...New Kids on the Block were endorsing Coke (they are such sell-outs). But the screens were so fuzzy that I hardly made out there oh-so-gorgous faces. Being that I was such a fan, prolly even sported my Donnie Walhburg (sp?) t-shirt, I was majorly bummed.

I wonder what they are going to offer to download to a phone???

The timeshare people at SFGAdv did catch me off guard, as I just can't imagine patrons of the park wanting to stop and talk. As Herc says as long as there are not high pressure tactics and they don't block the walkways, I have no problem.

As others have said Disney was built on sponsorships that were blantantly in your face advertising/promotions, including the worst attraction of all time "If You Had Wings"

As far as messing with the theming. Don't believe the hype, it doesn't distract much from the theming of an area.

The timeshare people at SFGAdv did catch me off guard, as I just can't imagine patrons of the park wanting to stop and talk. As Herc says as long as there are not high pressure tactics and they don't block the walkways, I have no problem.

As others have said Disney was built on sponsorships that were blantantly in your face advertising/promotions, including the worst attraction of all time "If You Had Wings".

And Disney is probably the most obnoxious about advertising their stupid timeshare crap. When we stayed on property last January they kept leaving messages on the room voice mail trying to get me to come down to some stupid DVC sales pitch. Sorry guys, I'm not spending my vacation listening to your spiel.

They call DVC a "secret" even though it's plastered all over every bus in the resort and they have infomercials playing in the rooms 24x7 in English and Spanish. Not to mention that new DVC resort they're building at the Contemporary that looks bigger than the original Contemporary Tower.

We noticed the timeshare people at Universal. After my experience with the timeshare people in Las Vegas, I was expecting the worse from them, but they never really bothered us. One guy kind of got in our way but we just pretended like we couldn't hear him and ignored him.

We go amusement parks for the rides and a little advertising certaintly isn't going to be what affect how good of a time we have.

I have no problem with advirtising, since it is pretty much anywhere you go now-a-days anyway. Hell, even elementry school gyms are named after some companies. I do agree that sometimes they do get a little carried away, like in the Plaza de Carnival picture with all the banners. But if they had a little side sign with El Toro saying the ride was presented by Taco Bell, then thats fine by me. As others have said, it brings more revenue to the parks, and helps improve the expirience.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having something to watch if I go to SFA and have to wait an hour or so for Batwing, it's better than staring at the ground.