TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Website Success

Yankee cannonball

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^He was trying to answer you but your topic doesn't even make sense!?!?

You're complaining about not being able to do trips, then saying you're going to start your own site instead!?!? What are you asking? What do you want? It doesn't even make sense!!!

Or you can even just put your pics on something like Webshots or SmugMug or something. You don't even really have to have a real website to just display your pics. Then you can share them with people on the boards and have people look at them with ease. And then you can just create a simple blog to post your own trip reports and reviews and stuff like that.

If you really do want to set up your own website, there are plenty of places that already have set designs that are easy to develop and use.

Or, of course, you could always do what was already mentioned - just submit to this site and still get recognition.

If you ask me, there are too many coaster sites out there as is; and if you start one now, it won't be much different than other sites. My advice is, if you want to start a coaster website right now, it HAS to have something different that no other site has.

Then again, if you just want your own personal photo gallery, take Hercules' advice and get a Webshots account. It's easy and free.

"...there are too many coaster sites out there as is" (Homer)

Precisely why I nixed my own idea of building a coaster site a lonnnggg time ago. And I'm sure mine would pale in comparison to most of the existing sites.

At some point, I'd like to build a site, just to see if I can do it. Not sure yet what sort of content it would have, but that could come later.

Eric

Don't start a website just because you've got nothing better to do, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of your time. If you must start one, try doing it using a free hosting site. When I first started my (now defunct) site many years back I had it hosted by (the now defunct) Xoom.com. After having the site on there for about a year and a half, I actually started getting some serious traffic to it, and decided that it was worth the money to get real hosting and to buy the domain name.

Looking back I started my site because I was bored and had a passing interest in Rollercoasters. It took me a long time (and to be honest, some luck) before parks started to notice me and actually send me information. Same with sources, it took me a long time before I had people at parks whom I could rely on to send me good information, it doesn't just happen over night... I got lucky when SFMM sent out a handful of season pass forms early with all the information about X, Deja Vu, and Goliath Jr. on them. I got one and posted it on the web and suddenly people knew about my site, however if that had not happened, I'm not sure my site would have ever really gotten any notice from parks.

Basic point is that having a website can be fun, but it is also a huge amount of work. Also there are no promises that you'll make the next Screamscape, Ultimate Rollercoaster, or Theme Park Review, it all depends on what you can offer that these sites can't, as well as some degree of luck.

• 1 month later...

Making a good site can be some hard work but can be worth it. Like my site is http://www.coasterwarriors.com but I didn't make it I'm just a co-admin. That site is actually inspired by Robb and Elissa as it says here http://coasterwarriors.com/about/staff.php under Jeff's name. Thanks to Robb and Elissa! It's hard work though getting the site up so good luck with the whole making site thing!

Awww....dont give up, its good that you are being constructive.

However, a how to on creating a website, is kinda not an easy answer to post online.

Your young, dont you have any friends that can help you out with this?

More importantly....

Your parents have every right to pry into your business on the internet. The amount of people praying on the young is gross...and your parents are looking out for nothing more then your safety.

One day you will thank them.