TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Relationships

Blink

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in my early teens (the age many people on here seem to be) I was an awkward, short, fat, weird guy. Girls had no interest in me at all, despite my best attempts. The one thing that I got out of all of it was that I was wasting my time at that age. Seriously don't bother trying to have a girlfriend when you're like 12-13 (and all those terribly awkward years in that region). When I was that age I really think the only reason I wanted a girlfriend was because I was supposed to have a girlfriend, if that makes sense.

I won't claim that I had much luck in the dating game, I dated a few girls, most of whom I never liked, I just dated them for the sake of dating. However I did figure out that it's not worth changing yourself to try and impress anybody, because the old version of you always will manage to seep back out.

BTW: As Wes has pointed out, you started dating a girl at 10 and it lasted 4 years? Really?

^I feel the exact same way.

I've been in a relationship since I was 18 and I'm almost 21 now. I dated a girl for almost a year, and then later, I dated a guy also for about a year but that ended terribly because it was my first love and I was heartbroken. Almost right afterwards, I started dating another guy and that lasted until recently.

No, don't get me wrong. I think relationships are great. It's awesome to spend time with someone and share yourself with another person you couldn't do normally with your friends. But at the same time, it gets expensive... and very time consuming. It's hard to balance time between friends, and with a significant other. But I think one of the of the main problems that I had was deciding what I wanted more... staying home on a Friday night with my boyfriend or go out with the girls and my best mates? I chose the later

My problem is that I'm too good. I don't care how pompous that sounds, every girl I've broken up with has admitted it. When I get in a relationship, I treat that girl like a princess.

I don't think this sounds pompous at all. All lot of my guy friends have girlfriends and they are the biggest jerks in the world (at least to their girlfriends), so I think it's great that you actually have the decency and respect for women because we all know how much that is lacking today.

But eventually, this simply becomes the 'norm' and its no longer polite or special. It's almost as if I'm expected to do it, seeing how I've been chewed out in the past for forgetting

Sounds like you date younger girls? A lot of my girlfriends around my age are like the girls you just said. They like being romanced and everything, but they also really love it when their boyfriends buy things for them. However, my roommate here in New Hampshire is 24 she doesn't care about anything like that, nor does she expect her boyfriend to buy her expensive things. The time they spend together is enough, and her boyfriend treats her like a queen, but not in the sense of materialism. I think older women (and also guys which is why I only date older guys) seem to understand this concept better than those who are younger (especially ages 18-22).

Cheers to being newly single!

It pretty much took me four years to figure this out (during 3 of which I was in a relationship) - at my age I shouldn't be looking to settle down.

However I did figure out that it's not worth changing yourself to try and impress anybody, because the old version of you always will manage to seep back out.

That seriously could not be more true. That's kinda my philosophy with honesty too, the truth ALWAYS comes out in the end, why ever try to hide it?

no matter how long I've been dating a girl, I always open the door for her

Ok, don't take this the wrong way, but there are seriously not enough guys like that. I've only had one boyfriend who's ever done that for me, and some guys I've gone out with haven't even appreciated it when I've done that for them.

Was it with your mom?

BOO!

Anyway, I'm not in a relationship at the moment, but I am looking! I agree when you all say that relationships at my age never last.

Man, I miss the junior high days... back when you'd "go out" with a girl for two weeks, break up, and two days later you've already rebounded, which will last two weeks. Those were the days. Of course, then there was the hellish bullying, the development of cliques, and the awkwardness of puberty, which all reminds me how badly junior high actually sucked...

LOL, it's a shame how true this is!

Hey Guys,

I have a question but I'm also gonna put my view about relationships aswell.

All of my freinds are going out with people, and tommorow my only mate who I can talk to who hasn't got a girlfriend is gonna ask someone out, and I know when I go up to him he will just push me out of the way. My question is, what should I do if I get lonely?

Anyway here is my view on relationships. I just don't feel the need to start one, I already screwed up on my last one big time, since I have dyspraxia where I can't read peoples thoughts very well, so when I asked her out and she said no, I didn't actually realise she meant no.... and kept on asking her until she got freaked out by me, that was so hard. So basically I have decided that I wont ask a girl out again any time soon, because it just hurts so much when I screw things up. It's not as if I really need a girlfriend anyway, It would be nice to have one as my self esteem is prettey crap right now, but I'm not like "I WANT A GIRLFRIEND OMG!!!!111ONE!". I'm not that despirate. Plus I'm kind of (and i'm sorry if this sounds emo, but it is genuinely how I feel about myself) unlucky with my looks.

Chaars,

BlackHole2006

^^ I've been in that situation for years. Still no girlfriend. Do you have someone in mind who you want to ask out? If so, that can be a sign of hope, and if you have nobody on your mind, well, I know how that feeling goes. If you do have someone in mind, by all means, make sure she doesn't have a boyfriend already. There have been too many times when I have asked out a girl and it turns out they already are taken. In one case, the girl even faked having a boyfriend just because she didn't want to say no, but at the same time was not interested.

If you're depressed because of feeling lonely, well I don't know what to say. I am in this very situation myself and I get depressed when I see other guys with girlfriends. By any means if this is true for you, do not go to Disneyland to cheer you up. I saw more young couples there at DLR 2 months ago than I saw when I was in Hawaii last summer - and our hotel room on the beach in Hawaii was freaking overlooking a wedding one night.

Right now I hate relationships. I just got out of a messy one. Its the first time it really happened too. I was with this guy for way too long and put up with alot of his s**t because I was in love. Wow.... this hurts just typing it haha. But one thing that I've learned is something my dad's friend told me. "When someone shows you who they are, believe them". I'm pretty sure its Maya Angelou. It makes so much sense now that its over.

Thanks for the advice goliath!

Yah I do have someone in mind, but she is really shy and I am extremely shy aswell so basically we are to shy to even talk to eachother lol.

Anyway, yesterday was a total downer for me. Me and all my freinds and that girl that I asked out loads of times before because of my stupid problem was there and she knows I like her alot, anyway she was drunk out of her face getting off with other guys, I was so upset. I really didn't want to take advantage though, that would have been the wrong thing to do. So instead of taking advantage, later on when she was almost throwing up on the floor, I went to fetch her some water. So not only did I have to sit through her getting off with other guys, I had to get her some water when she was paraletic drunk. Plus, one girl went bear leary on me because I laughed then my friend almost hit me when he was half cut because I saw him try and take advantage of a girl that was off her face drunk, and I told him that it was the wrong thing to do!

Although there was some funny moments yesterday, the rest of it sucked.

Cheers,

BlackHole2006.

^^ You did the right thing and there is nothing wrong with that. It's wrong to take advantage of drunk girls, and you should be proud that you were able to do the right think instead of just following the crowd. She may not realize it now, but later on she will and if she has any maturity at all, will respect you for what you did (or didn't do). As for the other guys, they sound like complete assholes. Try not to worry about what they think of you. Just because they are doing something that is wrong, doesn't mean they have the right to get down on you for telling them not to.

As for the shy girl, if you can verify that she's single, you might have a chance. For starting conversations, try to stay away from the typical "hey what's going on?" That often comes across as being too forward with them. Listen in on conversations she has with her friends and wait for the right moment to join in. It works for me!

I got out of a one year relationship last fall. It was a bit of a messy breakup, so I've decided to take a break from relationships. I've had some dates, but I just need some time to be alone and figure out my thoughts.

Relationships can provide an unparalleled level of excitement and comfort, but only if you have a strong sense of self. I'm sure I'll be back in the relationship mindset soon, but right now I'm enjoying being single.

^^^

Well the good news is all of her friends seem to like me and they keep on trying to tell the girl who I helped out to go out with me and everytime she says I'm not her type. She said it to my face once when I asked her out and was like "I like someone else, your not my type, i'm really sorry". That hurt my feelings so badly. To be honest I don't see there being any chances with her anymore because I've asked her out too many times and everytime I do I get a no.

Yeah I might do that, well my friend is like best mates with this girl so he said one time he will go over to where she hangs out with me and talk to her then just go away when we are in conversation so hopefully it will work. I'm not gonna do the same mistake I did last time where I asked her out before I even knew her.

I've got a question for everybody...

Your girlfriend suggests that the two of you break up, and you do. She then later wants you back, but you've moved on. Would it be fair for her to tell all of her friends that her boyfriend dumped her?

Just curious.

I've got a question for everybody...

Your girlfriend suggests that the two of you break up, and you do. She then later wants you back, but you've moved on. Would it be fair for her to tell all of her friends that her boyfriend dumped her?

Just curious.

No, not at all. You didn't dump her, you rejected her. She has to be together with you before you can dump her, you know? So yeah, just turned her down.

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend was a real eye opener for me. I realized a relationship that can never be, and much more which I do not want to go into detail. She's a tease- that's all I have to say about her now. Still a good friend, but just how she lied to me is what upsets me the most.