TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Relationships

Blink

^

I've got a similar issue; the BF battles bad motion sickness, so looping and spinning are out- BUT...

On my B-day last year, he took me to Disneyland- and we rode EVERYTHING in the park. I'd like to do KBF or SFMM with him, but I'm terrified he'd only go on a handful of rides and be bored; so we're trying to figure out a compromise park that appeases my need for speed with his need for slow. DL has always worked out great for that; but KBF will be a challenge...

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that ruined my day.

I just found out that my long-distance girlfriend, which I still have yet to tell my parents about (shut up, I'll get to it once I find a chance), is not going to Hume Lake this year. Hume is where we met in July/August of last year, and would be the easiest/only chance for me to see her this year at all.

Damn. But hey, she'll be 18 soon, so she'll be able to come up here independently.

Edited by onewheeled999

People...the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems.

Seriously, people put too much emphasis on a perfect relationship. If we'd all just take things as they come and not worry about all the little tiny details, or big details for that matter, I can bet this thread would only be about 10 pages long at most, and people would be much happier.

• 1 month later...

That's about as close to the truth as you can get. I'd venture the number is closer to 100% though. Relationships are a tool to make people feel good about themselves. Women want a relationship so they can feel 'loved' and guys I'd say the majority just want some @$$ and to be able to brag to their friends. It's not a compatible mix. I've found that things will ALWAYS work out better if you are just good friends. Therefore there's no competition between you and your friend, no fear of when you break up them freaking out and you never talking to them again, and of course there's no worrying about constantly having to be perfect.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I know my parents are constantly brainwashing me with the ideals of getting married. And say no 'nonsense' I'll just say until then. I honestly think that's a load of horse s***. Because basically all of my friends parents are divorced, one being divorced three times is now in a happy relationship BECAUSE they aren't getting married. There's no pressure or dominance created by legal ties. Anytime I've liked a girl, I've always been disappointed and upset at the end of what is a relatively short relationship with the person. I think that love is just some made up emotion which is a combination of actual emotions such as happiness, sadness, uncertainty, nervousness, and anger. They create a combination and an attachment which is easy to label as love. "True" love I don't feel actually exists. As no two people are "perfect". However that of course doesn't mean you should shut your eyes to the idea. Love in the barest sense of the word is really about looking past differences and having fun. Both things that people often become completely blind to in the course of their extreme emotional attachments. Love is out there, I just wish more people could figure out what 'love' actually is. I of course haven't discovered it, and if I did, no words or scientific analysis would ever be able to figure it out. I think the scientists would likely be banging their heads off the keyboards typing out even a fraction of what love is.

I do know for certain, that you are not going to find love if you're looking for it though. So people, just lighten up, have fun, and stop worrying about how well relationships are going, because chances are, you're gonna drive yourself insane.

High-school relationships are not about finding "true love". They should help you find qualities that you like in certain people, but people in no way are looking for the love of their life in high school. And if someone is, then good for them, but those are the type of people who make up that 50% divorce rate. They settle with one certain person, when they've had little experience with someone completely different, and end up tired or confused, feeling as though they've wasted their time.

Marriages should be based on when a person feels like they have found the best person to be with for the rest of their life, but there's no way to tell how long certain people will be able to be in a relationship with another person for life.

It just seems like another stupid thing we humans came up with.

It's really not, but I would say that over time the idea of marriage has become very "loose". Before, when two people got married, it was a primary unspoken rule that they should be together until death, and divorce was very uncommon. Now, people think that it is a way to secure a relationship with someone, feeling as though they need someone to be with, almost as a status symbol. All of the high-school kids who are so lovey-dovey about each other are just experimenting. They may look stupid, but at least they'll have an idea of what kind of people they enjoy spending time with.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but please stop making assumptions that all young people are looking for the love of their life in high-school.

I agree with the experimentation theory...to an extent. If someone finds someone and they mutually DO love each other, than all the more power to them. Me, I just sorta think that relationships aren't the end all. I'd really only ever go out with someone I know well, and to be honest most of the time nothing changes between normal life and relationships. I'm still just as nice and just as caring, and I'm one of a small number of guys that isn't in it for any more than who I'm with is. It's like just having a best friend who thinks you're especially awesome when it comes to what I'm like with relationships.

Only some people claim to understand it all (and they're almost always way wrong), others just call it as we see it, say nothing as fact, and stick with that. Besides, views on relationships change for most people entirely depending on what mood they're in.

My two cents (again).

But Wes, love has no age; neither do relationships.

And, to those of you who think it's a "100% divorce rate", it's only because you're not married and neither are your parents or their friends. The majority of my friends have happily married parents; as do I.

And about high school, most of you are, to some extent, correct. However, some of my friends report having been "in love"; their theory being that you can't know love until it's taken away from you. Of course, it's high school, so you have a giant student body getting crazy and horny off of hormones, so you'll notice a large amount of students have "boyfriends" and "girlfriends" even though they never speak or interact with one another.

Pfft, who needs relationships! Girls will rip you apart inside..

I'm only 16, I've been with a few girls, and I have come to realize I will just do what I love.. ride/design roller coasters, and wait until I meet that one, special woman.

I'm completely straight, don't get me wrong. I just don't plan on getting married until my mid 20's or so. Unless someone comes along before then.

^Why would people assume that if you don't have a girlfriend you're gay? It's like the world forces guys to get one and when they don't have one they always try to defend their sexuality like they're trying to hide something ...Not having a girlfriend doesn't make you gay, and having one doesn't make you straight. People do the craziest things to cover sh!t up that doesn't really need to be.

But good for you for just giving up for now instead of doing what everyone else is doing!

^We live in a world where, if you are thought to be even slightly homo, people will completely hate on you and shut you down inside. I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about me, thats all.

Where I grew up/live, I used to get jumped every day after I got off the school bus because my pants weren't sagging low enough(for dumb reasons like that). I'm not seeking attention here, just explaining.

I have nothing against gays, so please don't take me the wrong way.

I understand where your coming from though..

Yeah, a few years back a bunch of people started claiming I was gay because I was single and I spent the majority of my time hanging out with girls. How that makes any sense outside of stereotypes is beyond me. Isn't "hangin' with the bros" all the time more "gay" than chilling with everyone equally?

Defending one's sexuality like that is lame.

We live in a changing world, and soon we'll all be treated 100% equally, not like we're second class citizens anymore(which unfortunately the US is on the better end of equality for us compared to Africa and the Middle East). It'd be great if every 1 person=1 person exactly. No more or less.

It's on the way-

Being gay isn't being , "OMGeez! Totally check dis out gurl!" It's being sexually attracted to the same sex-so why you would need to defended yourself like that is pathetic. Just be yourself and don't let what others may think get in your way. Live and let live.

I know people think I'm gay, and I'll let them continue to think that, because they're generally more smart or observant people in the world. And I won't denounce the truth.

Being gay isn't being , "OMGeez! Totally check dis out gurl!" It's being sexually attracted to the same sex-so why you would need to defended yourself like that is pathetic.

This is very true and I get it all the time. People say to me "You don't seem like you're gay." I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Acting a certain way isn't a criteria for being gay. The only thing (as you said) that is a criteria for being gay is being attracted to the same sex. It sucks that people feel the need to defend themselves like that as if being gay is some horrible thing.

On the topic of relationships, I recently started seeing somebody who not only understands my obsession with theme parks, but shares it with me!

It's on the way-

Being gay isn't being , "OMGeez! Totally check dis out gurl!" It's being sexually attracted to the same sex-so why you would need to defended yourself like that is pathetic. Just be yourself and don't let what others may think get in your way. Live and let live.

Right on, Brother, right on. The 'girly' thing has -NEVER- flown with me. Ever. There are people who fully enjoy that, and dig it, etc. but I don't get it myself. Nor do I get the whole Lady Gaga thing, either. She wears eggs and raw meat. That does NOT equate to being an Icon, but rather, an undercooked breakfast.

On the topic of relationships, I recently started seeing somebody who not only understands my obsession with theme parks, but shares it with me!

Congratulations on that- Having somebody to share your passions with is always a good thing in a relationship- thus why I'm with a fellow Disney-ist. (Gee, and every year for our Birthdays we're either at the Disney Museum or at DL...)

I had the whole gay rumor thing start with me in 6th grade because yup, I mainly hung out with girls and just didn't really relate to any of the guys in my grade at the time except for maybe like 2-3 of em. Lots of bullying throughout then and much of my high school years at a boarding prep school. And yup, I did go through the phase of defending myself.... to the point of going out of my way to get girlfriends and such because I just couldn't POSSIBLY let anyone believing the rumors to be right! hahahaha. Such a waste of time on my part lol.

Now wrapping up the past 3 years of college in a sentence... I came here to LA from New Jersey in 2008, figured some stuff out, finally became comfortable with myself, slowly came out over the past year or 2 (yup, it took a move of 2500 miles to get comfortable with myself and come out LOL), and now everything is fine and all my friends here in LA are completely chill with it.

But yea so anyways... relationships. Got out of a relationship in December with someone who was a really bad influence. Have been single since, but I do have a potential relationship thats kinda brewing... maybe. We both have a passion for electronic music (my main obsession is Trance. LOVE IT), and then I was also surprised he actually knew a little about theme parks too. I dunno we''ll see where it goes. Just thought I'd share.