TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Firsts

^ I believe that's either Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City, or Moonsault Scramble at Fuji-Q Highland. Not 100% sure, some correct me if I'm wrong.

I've not been on Moonsault, and honestly, I don't remember high Gs on Tower of Terror. It might be that the Gs are so brief, or it might be that I was trying really hard not to crap my pants after that drop. Not sure.

At any rate, I think that if you're talking extreme Gs, you can't leave out Edmonton's Mindbender, or the "centrifuge" section of SFMM Goliath or SFOT Titan... although Titan's upward helix is even heavier on the Gs.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drachen Fire had the first:

Cobra roll (batwing)

Interlocking corkscrews

We discussed the corkscrews on page 2. They aren't actually interlocking, just intersecting. And there are like 15 Vekoma Boomerangs made before 1992 that had "boomerangs," which are Vekoma's cobra rolls. But yes to the other two.

Wicked Twister--Cedar Point: firts double-twisted impulse coaster (and first impulse to exceed 200ft in height.

The first Flying coaster goes to Stealth, it could possibly be the first B&M flyer in the US. I also know it wasn';t the first double station because Vekoma Flying Dutchmans have double stations as well.

Did Stealth aka BORG aka Nighthawk, did it have a double station at Great America because it aint got one at Carowinds (I wish it did though)

Son of Beast - First wooden coaster with a loop, and also the first (and still only to this day) wooden coaster to exceed 200 feet.

No way. The 1920s had "Loop the Loop" and "Flip-flap railway", both of which were wood.

not 1920's they were both 1900's

Steath did not have a duel boarding station

also I am unsure about this one but were the MGA Demon twins the first multi element coasters?

Two corrections...

Flip-Flap Railway was wood. This is correct. It was also probably the only coaster to pull as many as 12 Gs. However, Loop-the-Loop ran on a three-rail steel track system. I have the patents for an earlier concept of Edwin Prescott's steel-track looping coaster similar to Loop-the-Loop somewhere in my bedroom. Anyway, the point is that it's steel.

Also, Stealth was not the first "flying" coaster. Skytrak at Granada Studios in the UK was. Actually, according to RCDB, Stealth was technically the third flying coaster, with Komet at Encounter Zone in Dubai, a very screwed-up family coaster, opening in 1998.

Stealth was still the first flying coaster with a conventional track system of some sort, though. Skytrak ran on a single-rail system, as did Komet.Just look at how durable and smooth Komet's track system looks...

Luckily, though, it was only seven feet tall and it closed in 2005. I would have liked to ride it if only out of perverse curiosity.

• 8 years later...

My, my, how time flies by with a thread.

I was looking for a thread to post this in.

And this thread looked to be the best one to do so...

(And the I did read The Rules on the first page.)

I was wondering. I have had the luck of riding several coasters that were the original

prototype (or the first U.S.) for a lot of older coasters we've ridden, particularly the

steel ones. I have ridden:

First SLC Ever: El Condor ~ Walibi Holland 2008

First U.S.SLC: T2 ~ Kentucky Kingdom 1995

First Corkscrew: Corkscrew ~ Knott's 1975

First Dive: Oblivion ~ Alton Towers 2006

Anyone else realized this, in their coaster travels?

Edited by Nrthwnd

Dragon Fire was the first coaster in the world to feature two counter-clockwise corkscrews when it opened in 1981. Drachene Fire at Busch Gardens Willaiamsburg opened in 1992 and because the second coaster in the world to feature two counter-clockwise corkscrews. But, since it closed in 1998 and was demolished a few years later, Dragon Fire remains the first and only coaster to feature two counter-clockwise corkscrews.

Dragon Fire was the first coaster in the world to feature two counter-clockwise corkscrews when it opened in 1981. Drachene Fire at Busch Gardens Willaiamsburg opened in 1992 and because the second coaster in the world to feature two counter-clockwise corkscrews. But, since it closed in 1998 and was demolished a few years later, Dragon Fire remains the first and only coaster to feature two counter-clockwise corkscrews.

Actually, Medusa at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has two counter-clockwise corkscrews, as does Bizarro/Medusa at Six Flags Great Adventure.

And, while we're on the subject of SFDK: V2 is the first and only Intamin shuttle coaster with an angled heartline roll (even if it was made that way to fix a rather sizable mistake).

Disney California Adventure was the first to utilize the trackless ride system successfully, and in doing so, be completely awesome.

Fixed.

But - wasn't the Sally Corp trackless ride in Enchanted Forest, Oregon, The First Trackless in the U.S?

Built before the Seaworld Orlando's version?

Just checking here.

*And I think the thread's title could be changed to Coaster/Ride Firsts?

Actually, Medusa at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has two counter-clockwise corkscrews, as does Bizarro/Medusa at Six Flags Great Adventure.

And, while we're on the subject of SFDK: V2 is the first and only Intamin shuttle coaster with an angled heartline roll (even if it was made that way to fix a rather sizable mistake).

But, Dragon Fire was the first to feature two counter-clockwise corkscrews when it opened in 1981.