TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PhotoBoothe's 2008 Australia Trip Report!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, looks like you had an awesome time to say the least!

I have have been to Australia twice as my Dad, Sister ETC live there, and fly by myself a lot which is pretty fun. Cant wait to get the in October, I will probably go to Dreamworld again! maybe Wet 'n' Wild to as I have been to WWW lol. Anyway love you TR, get those video's on here soon!

Jordan.

I was at Movie World the day after new year's day. January 2nd. It was the worst weather the gold coast had in 18 years, and the day we went it cleared up. Went on superman 6 times (0 minute wait for everything ) The Scooby-Doo coaster was really really fun. It had the longest line of all (15 minutes is sooooo long) of them because it was indoors. Wet'n'Wild the next day was super busy

The stunt show was awesome. The guy with the whistle was there for us too. This little kid was annoying him so he played mind games with him. It was hilarious. Did the cop guy ask the fixed actor to "Take off that ugly hat" and he takes off the cop guy's hat?

The stunt show was awesome. The guy with the whistle was there for us too. This little kid was annoying him so he played mind games with him. It was hilarious. Did the cop guy ask the fixed actor to "Take off that ugly hat" and he takes off the cop guy's hat?

Hahaha yeah, he did. It was a really funny show, I wish I had my camera back...I taped the show on it!

• 5 months later...

Batwing: - A really, really good S&S space shot; awesome ejector air on the first launch, then floater on the second.

Batman 1/2 - It's a motion simulator....kind of cool though.

Wild West Falls: A great log ride...on par with Splash Mountain! Well, almost...

Looney Toons River Ride is an experiance xD

http://movieworld.myfun.com.au/ is the site.

It's a pretty small park, everything is do-able.

I don't think I need to tell you to get on Superman, Lethal Weapon, and Scooby Doo.

Please get pics! I miss that place...

-J "Scooby <3" Z

Rollerboy, MW doesn't have any many flat rides...The park seems more focued on 'tracked' rides. There are of course the kids flat rides, and the dodgems....I guess Batwing is the only large scale flat.

If you do want to ride flats then Dreamworld is a place you should go too:

http://www.dreamworld.com.au/content/drw_2008_standard.asp?name=rides

• 5 weeks later...
Thats very surprising (and disturbing) to hear that the staff at Movie World were rude. Generally our staff are very friendly and helpful to guests and the ride crews do a fairly good job.

I've had a lot of bad and slow run ins with Dreamworld staff, so it's very weird to hear things flipped around.

I think most of the problems with staff and capacity at our parks here is not the staff themselves but bad policies which they must follow.

DUDE what planet are you on, more than disturbing I'd say.....I have just been to both dreamworld and movie world over the last few days. Dreamworld was great, the staff were awesome, they just couldn't have been more helpful if they tried. Movie World was SHOCKING!!!!!! I have never come across such rude staff, from ride operators to food vendor's in my entire LIFE, and that's not just including theme parks

Scooby was shut for scheduled maintenance (keeping the peeps safe, no probs there, just disappointed, I got over it)

Superman broke down 3 times that I know of during the day. TWICE while I was at the entry door for the front seat. NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!! At least I got to ride it, it is a fantastic ride. I absolutely loved it. Hands in the air over the first hill is not recommended though, the negative g's left my bro in law with massive bruises on his upper arms due to hardcore airtime. I did warn him.

Lethal Weapon??????? Also broke down/out of action a couple of times too, but my question is this. I would like some coaster engineers to fill it up with crash test dummies and see if it is freakin' LEGAL. I had my face smashed into the harness so many times I lost count in the end. I seriously doubt this ride would pass a proper engineering test in regards to the amount of trauma caused to the face, neck, shoulders and spine. It is an extremely UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE, which is such a shame because when you see the track it looks brilliant. Don't get sucked in like I did

Wild West was also having problems too, stopping and starting.

What the hell movie world, get your crap together, 5 of us had a really crappy day and we weren't the only ones. There were people complaining everywhere.

4 of your aces out of action, pathetic!!!! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you could by a ticket for superman, run in, ride it and leave.

And for the love of god would someone please build a good wooden coaster here or something that lasts longer than 30 seconds.

Don't come to Australia for a theme park extravaganza because you just wont find one anywhere. Some of the rides are great but they are over before you know it.

Dreamworlds tower of terror is fantastic, but yet another 20 second thrill. I'm going to White Water world next week, I love water parks. I hope that the hydro coaster is good, it looks like heaps of fun.

SORRY GUYS, RANT OVER, RIDE ON, PEACE OUT!!!!!!

ps, I'm glad you had a nice trip to oz brother

• 2 months later...

I agree with that , Dreamworld staff do seem nicer than Movieworld generally, but that said there are a few great operators at MW (just a few

plus Dreamworld sacked a fair fe management positions late 2008 so I think all staff are scared of further cuts so do their best to be nice LOL

I agree with that , Dreamworld staff do seem nicer than Movieworld generally, but that said there are a few great operators at MW (just a few

plus Dreamworld sacked a fair fe management positions late 2008 so I think all staff are scared of further cuts so do their best to be nice LOL

Dreamworld is fine with me as long as the lines for Giant Drop and Tower of Terror are kept short!

As far as wait times and capacity, Dreamworld will be a second Fuji-Q on a bad day....

I wish I would have gone to the water park, too.

-JZ

for TOT that has to be the first ride of the day and if you are lucky you can get at least 5 or 6 in the first hour and then the line is too long - and that leaves you with the giant drop for the rest of the day

I seriously have been on the giant drop at least 20 times in one day, sometimes there is just nobody there, and you just walk around and get straight back on the very next ride..

but I think there really is no technique to finding a quiet day

Generally you would say weekdays, and I usually went on a monday or tueday every week but sometimes I went on a sunday and about half the time sunday was dead, other times it was packed with buses full of japanese tourists

hope you get back soon

I can only dream of the day I get to Ohio and the mythical Cedar Point !!

I can relate to that, I made that dream come true in 2003, I was amazed to be there.

I haven't been to Dreamworld since 2003, and that's because I'm not interested, even though I have been to the Gold Coast many times since then.

When I last went to Dreamworld they had a small line for Cyclone but only one person operating the whole ride so it took forever, and Giant Drop, although an excellent ride, had a small line but it went very slowly.

I've been to Movie World many times since 2003 and can say I have had mixed experiences with service, and ride reliability but I prefer to go there because I like the attractions better.

I think the best times to go to the GC parks are weekdays when it isn't school or public holidays.

I can relate to that, I made that dream come true in 2003, I was amazed to be there.

I think the best times to go to the GC parks are weekdays when it isn't school or public holidays.

Damn lucky ! I might be getting there later this year, I've got a few trips this year over that way so one of them is reserved for six flags magic mountain another will be either Canada's wonderland or cedar point depending on where I end up

and yeah the best day down under is on a cloudy weekday during school term

^Having been to both Canada's Wonderland and Cedar Point - I would say go to Cedar Point, it's a great place to visit and has an overall better coaster line up IMO.

Hope your visits go well, you'll get plenty of good advice at TPR.

Cedar Point it is then

1 full week of Cedar Point LOL !

except I won't be over that way until November and they are closed then, have to wait till next year ...

7 days might be a bit much (I went for 5.5 days on my first visit in 2003 and that was more than enough), but there are plenty of other things to do like visiting some of the islands in Lake Erie, the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and there are parks like Kennywood which for example is 3 hours drive away.

• 1 year later...
Wow! I expected you to be an average American tourist but you've learnt a lot about our culture. I honestly can't imagine a world without cricket though I actually hate cricket. What's it like?

Thanks! It always kills me to look at these photos, then realize what the date today is. I can't believe it's coming up on 3 years since I went. I still talk to my friends down there, not too too often though but they really showed me how to live life down under. I can't wait to make it back.

Cricket was fun, we played a game at the school I attended...I think we were the 5th string team haha. We have baseball here, but cricket is something way different than other sports. Basketball, football, baseball, and hockey and racing dominate the US.

Thanks for bringing my report back up

-Zach

• 2 years later...
Bringing this up again, but i actually go to the school you came for. Did you like it?

It's so funny that you found this thread because of the school that I came to Australia apart of the exchange I was in! I just send you a message. It just goes to show you how huge TPR is.

I loved Australia and there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about the family that hosted me, the friends I met, and the incredible adventures I had going to the Bunya Mountains, the Gold Coast, and all the Theme Parks.

I still think Scooby Doo's coaster was one of the most fun coasters I've ever been on. And Giant Drop is insane.