TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain's New X2 Trains Photos & Video!

robbalvey

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would make sense for the new train design to be a collaboration. SFMM has all kinds of field experience and knowledge about the X ride system that designers can't get. On the other hand the designers have engineering expertise and resources that go beyond what an end user is capable of. You would expect if you put the two together you could wind up with a good second generation product; it happens all the time in industry.

I'm really happy to see the old color scheme of pink and yellow go! I think those are terrible and ugly colors to put together. Red and black looks a lot stonger and better for a big-time coaster. And, is it me, or do the new trains look a bit unfinished? It is not as covered-up as the old trains. Still looks good though!

I know I'm going to get persecuted for this, but I truly liked the color scheme and everything the way it was before. The new trains are a HORRIBLE color and they resemble Eejakanaka's trains too much. (I'm sorry that is spelled wrong) but in my opinion, they should have left it alone...

I'm not sure I really understand why people keep having a negative opinion because the trains and the paint job "looks like Eejanaika."

Outside of coaster enthusaists, who's going to know?

No one seems to complain whenever yet another wooden roller coaster is painted white.

--Robb

^I agree.

It's not like they are stealing a theme, or like a coaster has never been painted those colors before. Sometimes I feel like people just enjoy finding something to complain about.

-Scott "Those Fuji-Q bastards TOTALLY ripped off Ninja" P.

The new paint scheme is sweet. It would have been really neat if the x rails were a different color, say maybe yellow or white or some other color to make a good contrast against the red, just a thought. I always liked how the rails were two different colors but that is just me and it does look really good with only the black and red. Ideally if everything was perfect the trains would match and it would be all the colors everybody wanted it to be. But thats not how it is and to me doesnt really matter because when I ride it again I will be enjoying it for how it rides and wont be concearned with colors and such as I am flipping upside down and having a good time.

I'm not sure I really understand why people keep having a negative opinion because the trains and the paint job "looks like Eejanaika."

Outside of coaster enthusaists, who's going to know?

No one seems to complain whenever yet another wooden roller coaster is painted white.

--Robb

I agree also, I don't really see it as a problem. I guess its mainly since the only thing you can compare X2 to is Eejanaika, so it might seem disappointing to some that they look pretty much the same. But then lets face it, its difficult to please everyone when it comes to colours. Personally I think it looks better.

"I'm not sure I really understand why people keep having a negative opinion because the trains and the paint job 'looks like Eejanaika'." (Robb)

It's the very same people who don't realize that not everyone in the world has every coaster fact commited to memory. And the same ones who complain about "clones."

X2 looks mean---as it should have looked from the beginning. All I care about is that the ride is smooth.

Eric

It would have been really neat if the x rails were a different color, say maybe yellow or white or some other color to make a good contrast against the red, just a thought. I always liked how the rails were two different colors but that is just me and it does look really good with only the black and red.

Although its not like I'm going to skip the ride because of its colors, I think it would have looked a lot better if they painted the ride rails the same colors as the supports like in the promo art. Which is how it was originally painted, pink track with yellow ride rails and yellow supports. That way it would stand out from Eej (for all those people that have a problem with that). With red fiberglass for seats and black painted cars, it really would have made the ride look sharp.

But its going to be like it is and I'm fine with that. Although I liked the old colors when the ride first came out, I think it looks spectacular now, much better than the faded pink and yellow paint.

The funny thing about that is Tim actually mentioned this in his presentation. That because in the station the words "Expereince the XTREME" is giant, everyone thought the same of the ride was "The XTREME."

He said that is going away and it will be more clear that the name of the ride is "X" or... now... "X2."

--Robb

^Either way I think it's difficult to market the name of a ride when it's only 1 letter. Even if they do new things to make it more obvious that the ride isn't called "The Xtreme," people are still going to be confused, just as they are with names that are normal, like Ninja or Viper.

I think part of it is the GP just doesn't care. They get to ride the rides and for them, that's good enough.

It kind of makes you think about the marketing philosophy behind creating names, especially for coasters. You want it to be cool, but the GP has to be able to get it so they can market it by word of mouth too!

I cant believe they got rid of the gas struts on the wheel assembly for the rack and pinion. I thought they said in the video these were improvements for making the ride smoother too. I think that was a big mistake but only riding it will tell. Maybe there wont be a violent jolt.

did i miss something? is "X2" pronounced "X-squared"? I think that would be good to get straight before I FORCE my Physics teacher to take us next year...

I'm one of those people who never got to ride the original X... so this should be interesting. I really hope that the transformation is successful since X2 is the only 4th-dimension coaster in the U.S. currently... if it works: maybe others will spring up all over.

And I LOVE the colors! Pink is my least favorite color and black and red are my two MOST favorite colors! The only problem I see is that the "black" almost looks dark-gray in the pictures. After a year or two of wear, won't it fade?

did i miss something? is "X2" pronounced "X-squared"? I think that would be good to get straight before I FORCE my Physics teacher to take us next year...

I'm one of those people who never got to ride the original X... so this should be interesting. I really hope that the transformation is successful since X2 is the only 4th-dimension coaster in the U.S. currently... if it works: maybe others will spring up all over.

And I LOVE the colors! Pink is my least favorite color and black and red are my two MOST favorite colors! The only problem I see is that the "black" almost looks dark-gray in the pictures. After a year or two of wear, won't it fade?

It's "X Two" but if you're cool you'll call it "X Multiplied Quadratically To The Second Power". As for the paint, it's been mentioned before in the thread that they paid for premium paint that's guaranteed not to fade over a certain amount over 10 years.

In the pics showing the differences in the wheel trolleys, I can't help but wonder how the new wheels will articulate with the curvature in the tracks. On the original X trains, you can see that the guide wheels have pivots on all 4 wheels. The new trains use a rigid frame which looks like it keeps all 4 wheels in the same positions relative to each other. I couldn't tell from looking of the whole assembly will then pivot to keep all 4 wheels engaged with the track or not...

Sorry if I'm overthinking it, but I think we all know that historically, Arrow designs aren't know for their abilities to handle curves...

Ok, looking back at the pic, I can see the pivot point well above the trolley. I wonder if this will make the rack much more sensitive to the track position now...

The pivot above the assembly is for the frame of the car and has nothing to do with the track. Allows the trains to bend using the wheel assemblies becuase if there was no pivot the frame would break.

I am designing my own wheel assembly and the assembly thats used for the rack and pinion is awful. Everyone knows that Arrows are rough and here is why. The old assembly had pivots and bumpers in between which is the way it should be. The wheels have to move to allow for the bend in the track because if its a rigid assembly with no tolerance the assembly will explode. Allowing the wheels to move means you can have a tighter tolerance. And instead of the wheels hitting metal they put this hard rubber in which I dont know what its called. So instead of a clank you get a thud. B&M and Itamin have this, usually red or orange and in the old x trains you can see its black. The assembly still moves and you get that jerk in your seat but its sofened slightly. The new assembly is horrible. The wheels are so far apart and they took off the gas shocks so now there is a big gap! I know its going to make the spin start off rough. If they wanted a rigid assembly for maintence and longevity purposes they should have inverted the assembly so the frame is on the outside and the small wheels super close together so that the gap can be smaller. Every wheel assembly on any train has a gap if its riding a rail thats bent. I have been working on my assembly for about a year now and have eliminated the vertical gap! I have the idea how to elimate the horizontal gap but not sure if its possible to engineer. Give me time because I am soooo busy. Put the pivots and gas struts back on!!!!