TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shuriken Coaster - Prototype coaster I made on AutoCAD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I know I'm just 14. I FULLY realize that becoming an amusement ride designer will be extremely challenging - I don't expect the Shuriken Coaster to make its debut for AT LEAST 20 years. Hopefully the fact that I can make the Shuriken Coaster in this large amount of detail at only the age of 14 should at least signal some sort of skill. (I plan on starting my own company.)

^Don't let people in this thread get you down. Not that it seems like you are. You are very well spoken and seem to be more analytical than most 14-year olds I have ever known. You are thinking things out and planning ahead on this project, and I think you're doing an awesome job so far! Keep up the good work!

But if for some reason some random park does in fact want me to build a Shuriken Coaster that doesn't go into flying position, I will do that.

What was really mean, I would lash out at anyone who did that to me. I'm also 14 and I also want to become a attraction designer. Theres nothing wrong with having an dream and the only way to get what you want from life is by having a dream.

Another thing, for a 14 year old this guy has fantastic ideas, the skill he has put into it is much more than you can expect from most people a good few years older than him so don't put him down.

Besides, somebodys got to design rides in the future when the ones we have now are gone. Thats my way at looking at it.

I have a question:

Some people on coasterfuel had pointed out that this ride could be panful if the G's were pulled at a constant rate. (Being essentially pushed into the restraints as you are spinning.) But since it probably won't spin more than a Maurer Söhne Spinner (about 30 RPM for Whirlwind at Seabreeze) and it will have multiple directional changes - albeit with G forces going around 5 (a few times during the ride - not lasting more than half a second or so) - does anyone have additional insight with that information in mind?

• 1 month later...
First off, I do not have $1,495 to spend on a professional CAD program when I'm only 14 (turning 15 in two months) - I am in a High School Pre - Engineering class called Project Lead the Way, which is available for students from 9th to 12th grade to take in New York State (possibly other states as well - the teachers teaching this course are trained at RIT to do so)

We have Project Lead the Way here. I'm actually in that class right now, but I've finished the assignment, so I came here to look for AutoCAD stuff.

I have a question:

Some people on coasterfuel had pointed out that this ride could be panful if the G's were pulled at a constant rate. (Being essentially pushed into the restraints as you are spinning.) But since it probably won't spin more than a Maurer Söhne Spinner (about 30 RPM for Whirlwind at Seabreeze) and it will have multiple directional changes - albeit with G forces going around 5 (a few times during the ride - not lasting more than half a second or so) - does anyone have additional insight with that information in mind?

You also have to factor in the radius of the spinning. Since the seats are farther out on the track than a Maurer Sohne coaster, there WILL be more forces working against you. For a future plan, I suggest making things much more compact, as far as the train goes. Taking up too much space will add more weight and G force problems, just like on X.

I want to first say, Holy CRAP I wish I was that good with CAD my freshmen year in college. Luckily I'm a mining engineer and don't need CAD so the C's I got do to lack of skill in my CAD classes is ok.

On topic: I think the idea is awesome and I would definetly ride a coaster like that. Here is my suggestion. Why don't you try making it 1 or 2 seats aside. The ride concept would be the same but the weight would be severely reduced.

Keep up your great work and in 10 or so years I will be ranking STC rides in my top 10!!

^^^I think that would cut back on capacity though, and that's not good. I believe Tanks explained earlier how the trains would be constructed (as far as materials go) and he has planned out that it won't weigh as much as it looks like it would. If anything, I would work on a quadrupal or quintuple-locking restraint system and adding seatbelts to insure rider safety (and cut back on insurance for the parks, making them much more likely to purchase the ride...)

I'm also 14, and I no I could never do anything more complicated than NoLimits, so I sure am glad people like you can!

My plans are to go into orthidontistry. There, I will make lots of money, and I can travel all over the world riding your rides! Sounds good?

My concern is that ride is going to be VERY expensive and VERY unreliable. The problem is when you first go into the industry with an concept like that. It isn't going to sell unless the company has a good background but even that is flawed (Arrow and X) .

If you are going to go into the industry you need to introduce an idea that a park can buy without risk. You could bring in your design later on but only when the time is right.

Don't take it as criticism, just some well earned advise!

I must say, that's a bit of a wacky design. I can see that being used, but the mechanical supports for the chairs seems a little squared up. If all 16 riders were on it, it may have a different effect that expected due to the heavy metal needed to keep all 16 chairs in it's place yet still ride on the course made.

It really is creative! Of course I would have never thought about it.

Recently I was given the option to do this engineering course as part of my options but I did'nt chose it for a few reasons. Mainly because I have to give up loads of other subjects which I'm very good at. I share your passion to become a Ride designer and I have to say your doing a damn good job at acheiving this dream. I'm trying a different route to become a ride designer so I hope it works out.

Good Luck with this, follow your dreams and remember, someones gotta do it!

(thats coming from someone youger than you, is it a good thing, I dont know)

I know you have 2 years I was just curious. those are three good colleges. As for the band though I recommend going to one with good football to go along with the band because college football is amazing.

I go to VT by the way. I'm not in the band because I don't like how it's run, I play trumpet.

^ Younger than me? Hardly. Maybe a few months, but its close enough. If you really wanted to become a ride designer, IMO you should have done that engineering course. It would have given you an extra edge over those that didn't - but I have no idea how many people in England actually take engineering courses, so I have no idea how mch of an edge that would be. (Project Lead the Way is a nationally held course in the USA.)

I do know what I'm doing, the engineering coarse I was offered was mainly aimed at people below me in academic acheivment. What I do have going for me is (not to be bragging or anything) a very good understanding of maths, one of the best infact in my year. I am good at sciences and a great artist. I am also one of the best at Technology. Another thing is that this is the first year it was offered to my year meaning the people who wanted to become an engineer before me had to do it the way I did it. I do know what I'm doing and even if things don't go right, I have over plans to cover for that. Besides, who said I wanted to design rides technically!

(I'm enjoying this conversation, it will be interesting to see how things turn out for use)