TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shuriken Coaster - Prototype coaster I made on AutoCAD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.....M......G! This is amazing! I have tons of questions, but I will start out with these:

1.) How long did it take you to make this?

2.) How complicated is the program/system to use?

3.) How does the program work?

I love using CAD, and Auto CAD (especially) in my Technology class! I find it a little complicated at first, but once you get into the swing of things, its actually pretty easy to use, sure it involves A LOT of work, but its all worth it in the end. Good job man, by far the BEST idea I have seen for a new coaster! I would TOTALLY ride it!

^^^

1: From mid December to a few days ago - about a month and a half. I have been using this program since November - so I'm basically a noob.

2: VERY complicated. We in our Pre Engineering class (40 minute classes every day of the school week) were given tutorials on most of the basic and moderate tools that we would use for this year (we are only ninth graders - we don't need the really advanced stuff) and that took several weeks. (A nice amount of practice was included.)

3: It's a CAD program - if you ever used Google Sketchup (a free but not as good CAD program) it's rather similar to that.

Oh, and here is the coaster layout I have in mind for the ride - I know the real car will have a lot of support and track hits, but it was designed specifically for the B&M Invert that is using this track: (NL.)

Nevermind the pumping, it was rushed. (But, it is however intended to go to nearly 5 G's, and many of my other coasters go to 5.3 G's, very frequently, along with -1.6 airtime and 1.8 laterals.)

1 - Shuriken.nltrack

^ I don't know, I was impressed with the trains and its amazing you got the chance to do that (Infact I'm jealouse, I would love to get the chance to do that ) but I don't think it would be practical to put it on your suggested track. I mean like the forces generated by that heavy looking train would be mega, not only would it be extreamly painful but I also think it would not handle the forces, just look what X2 needs to support the train they carry. I personally think (I know its boring) should be put on a much more tamer track.

But again, great trains.

The only problem I see with the train in that the wheels are way to small. For rides that go at higher speed (especially if it is on that same track you built) the trains need a MUCH bigger wheel. These wheels will support the train better, holding more weight, and have a lower RPM (rate per minute), so in all the friction between the wheel and the axle will be less, making the train more effective.

Look at those big wheels on Superman The Escape!

http://rcdb.com/ig140.htm?picture=12

I'm also in Project Lead the Way (I'm taking "Introduction to Engineering and Design") and you have done some really nice work! (Except you should hide your dimensions. Also, a rendering would be nice!

Keep it up! Hopefully when you learn about stresses and structural integrity, you won't find that your train was a complete disaster

P.S. Maybe you could make a tutorial on how to make roller coaster track on Inventor? I've been having trouble with it.

^The Puzzle Cube and Coffee Mug. Right now, I'm making a slingshot like device that shoots a Nerf Ball (a 1.75 inch projectile fired from some of the larger guns, not an actual sports ball) 15 feet into a recycling bin. So, it looks like even the projects are done the same. But although I know I don't have a lot of knowledge in terms of structural practicality, but each row of seats is connected to the 7 inch thick central plate by two slabs of (carbon fiber? metal? I haven't decided) that are two inches thick each, and are anchored 7 inches on to the central plate - and extend 3 feet on to the train. The red spinning system is bolted with 72 bolts - each 1 and 1/8 inches wide - to the black plate that holds the wheel assembly - which that plate is two inches thick. I will probably make the "wheel plate" thicker, and maybe extend the "row anchor plates" to 12 or 18 inches inward, but other than that, I think it's not that bad, considering this is my first "not for school" project on Inventor - and I have used this program for only three months now.

This is sick! Great Job!

You should hide the dimensions if you are planning on bringing this idea to life in the future, which I assume you are?

You wouldn't want someone to see this and think "Oh, well this is a good concept" then send in "their work" and patent it under their name. That would suck on your part, because of all the hard work you have put into this.

^^ Trust me, I REALLY want to delete those dimensions, but the program will not allow me to do so once I save the file. Oh, I am still working on it, I've just been working on Holzfeuer (my NL woodie called "Project Brennen" in the forums) for the past few days.

Man you need to get rid of those visible sketches. I have been in a Cad class for 3 years now and my teacher always tells us to get rid of them.

If you need help with any thing I can help. You use inventor right? Could you seen me a copy of it.

^^ Bother? I want as much criticism as possible. If you could just give me pictures of a good seat divider so I know what I should do, I will edit it. Although it is more "internal" than most of my previous mods, so it will take some more time, although not too much. Although I just looked at both the B&M and Vekoma Flyers, even the B&M Inverts and I didn't see seat dividers.

^You have no idea how much I want to get rid of the sketches and the dimensions, except after I save it, I can not edit those that are already existing. That is the ONLY downside to Inventor. Could you tell me how to do it? (I'm using the Educational version.)

What you must do is go back in to your drawing of the parts and open up the +/- on the extrutions and open that up and right click on that and uncheck the visible option. You could send me the drawings and help get rid of them for you.