TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

West Coast Bash 2008 - The Official Thread!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you had some very awesome pictures in there! My favorites being the two up in the Sky Tower at night.

We all should have booed her out of the theater as soon as she asked the question. Same with the bathroom hooligan.

Pure,

I'm glad you liked my picture of Viper at night. I have that picture on my classroom Smartboard right now and the kids think it's awesome. That thing was really rough to take because the tower was swaying so much. I only got maybe 2 good pictures out of 30 from up there. Thanks for not booing me out of the theatre.

Al -> New name ........Bathroom Hooligan

^hmmm...I see a Deluge coming, but isn't there already a similar type ride, like a master blaster, at that Hurricane Harbor?

Great update, and SFMM seems to be following in SFGADV's footsteps. The improvements should really help the park a lot, and it looks like SFMM will be a much more enjoyable park in 2008. Since service and operations are what is being worked on this year, I hope that the flat ride selection is improved in the near future, as it seems like that area needs a lot of improvement.

Speaking of which, they could put small LED signs at each ride that would indicate the wait time. Those would replace the signs they have now, which are rarely correct anyway. If Disney can do that...

Jay mentioned that the new network lines they will be laying down this fall *may* have that capability, but to be rolled out in a future phase. The 1st phase will be the new cash register system and Six Flags TV network.

You also have to remember that while "Disney can do that...." they also have a much different budget. IMO, you really can't hold many other parks up to a Disney standard. Because Disney, for example, will install a $100 million attraction. You can't expect all parks to do that.

Besides, how many parks have an electronic wait board sign outside of Disney, Universal, Alton Towers? I think they all parks *should* have them....but it's not found in very many places...and I'm assuming there is a reason for that...and my guess is that it's VERY expensive to install.

--Robb

^ Expensive to install for sure, but possibly difficult to manage. Any number of times at the various Disney, Busch, and Universal parks I've been to, the wait times posted in front say one thing, but at the attraction itself it's a different story.

We'll see what the future holds. Getting the SFTV system up and running is a good start, though.

Eric

I'm late posting since we went to Vegas for the remainder of the week, but I have to say that was without a doubt the best ERT session I've ever had. Thanks to everyone who helped set that up, it was totally worth a trip from FL! I guess it was really more like Exclusive Park Time, but EPT doesn't work really...

Wow! Been out of town so this is late, but thank you so much for the best time. Robb, Elissa, and the Theme Park Review crew did an incredible job. I can't believe that it only cost $20! By far, the best deal ever. The wife and I had an incredible time. You guys sure know how to throw a great party. It was great to meet everyone and I can't wait for the next one! It was well worth a 10 hour drive at 3am! Thanks also to Jay Thomas, Neal Thurman, and Tim Burkhart! You guys are doing a great job! You have really turned things around, and really went above and beyond for us. We will definitely be back. Thanks again TPR for an incredible trip. Hopefully I'll be able to do a trip this year as well! Oh, have you ever thought of doing a Mousefest/Mouseadventure style event at MM? If anyone could pull it off it would be TPR. Thanks again!

That thing was really rough to take because the tower was swaying so much.

So it WAS swaying!! I thought it was just me! I was freaking out. I'm kind of scared of heights, I have no problem getting on any ride as long as I'm strapped in but the Skytower and hotel balconies freak me out! I was on the verge of having a panic attack, I ended up sitting on the ground waiting for the elevators to come back up. I did force myself to walk around and see what they had done up there but it was just a quick in and out.

^ The Sky Tower (and any other tall structure) always sways, even in a slight breeze. A little sway doesn't bother me at all, because if it didn't sway, it'd snap. Now, that would bother me...

"...did they say there is any plans to use it for a ride for MM or HH?" (costa425)

Nothing's been said (that I know of), but I'd be willing to bet that Hurricane Harbor will get that area. The park could use an expansion, being that 1997 was the last time that I know they added anything.

Another thought: since Metro is most likely coming out, its old station area and train storage opens up a little land, too. They could always move the season pass processing place elsewhere and open up a little more as well. I suspect they may do that. I don't know what was wrong with processing the passes in the building out in the open area between security and the park entrance. That worked out fine for years.

Eric

The old Flashback spot was not visited during WCB. I sort of wish it were. For those who attended both the January event and WCB, would you say the tours were maybe a bit more...personal? There wasn't much to see at the Thomas Town site, but I understand that we all had to spend an equal amount of time at each spot.

As for the old Flashback spot, I hope that's where the new for 2009 "family" coaster is going. I'm not a fan of waterparks, so maybe I'm just being selfish. If they could squeeze a new coaster there as well as Deluge, that would be great.

The old Flashback spot was not visited during WCB. I sort of wish it were. For those who attended both the January event and WCB, would you say the tours were maybe a bit more...personal? There wasn't much to see at the Thomas Town site, but I understand that we all had to spend an equal amount of time at each spot.

The tours were a bit more personal because there was only 50 people at the tours. So instead of it being an 'organized event', it was more like Tim, Jay, and Neal just walking people around the park.

We'll do another event like that at some point, I'm sure. Smaller, more local, etc. In fact, I would even say that the next time we do something like that we may even limit it to 50 or 60 people.

It's funny how while on one hand an event can be successful because you have lots of people show up, but on the other hand smaller events have their pluses too!

--Robb

Some quick comments..

It was possible to hike up the hill to the park from the Hilton Garden Inn, however you need to be very aware of barricades and hazards.

I visited MM on Saturday as a normal guest with low expectations and was impressed with all the changes right off.

Being I did a season pass renewal online prior to my visit, I did not have a coupon book I needed to exchange a coupon. So I asked the person outside season pass processing about this coupon, she immediately asked inside. I just had to go in the exit to the first person who took the coupon, and scanned my pass. Later I found a temp credit transaction for $50 from them. This raised the question if I ended up with parking?? It cleared after 7 days so no big deal in the end, however it does point out that the online system retains credit card info. It also made me question for a week if I had received parking on the season pass that I may or may not even use again this this season.

I was blown away by the improvements that day.

Sunday morning we did drive up to the park for the event and was waived through the toll plaza.

Overall comments

I spent was too much time on Tatsu during the ERT sessions!

Sky tower right at sunset was very nice, went up in elevator with the lights off as not to draw attention.

Came down just as the park was closing..

Headed to Superman as I did not know if I would be able to ride it, as I do not fit on any of the other intamin rides due to short seatbelt. First ride attempt was in row 2. Expecting not have much luck I pulled down the lapbar, no green so one of the crew came over and looked told me that I needed to be down just abit more. It was so close that I barely touched the bar and it was good, so off we go. I exited as this was still normal park patrons. I re-entered as it was now ERT receiving 6 more launches with 2 riders total for some nice rides.

Overall I had a great time, thanks to Chris, Robb and the SFMM staff making this one of the best events I have seen to date.

I wish I could come back during the summer however that is currently not in the plans.

Jerry

I did feel the Sky Tower sway a little when I was up there, but that's to be expected and reduces the strain on the structure. I shot the "other" night shot and I have a few more. For some of them, I had to use a higher ISO to get a better picture, though a higher ISO results in a grainier image.

viper-batwing.jpg.2c0686a3bfc583c796176e585a525926.jpg

Fun with the binoculars

dejavu-night.jpg.e35591939af032cdb10ef9e38b6892b7.jpg

It doesn't do much, but it sure looks nice

tatsu-night.jpg.87ad9f5c96c51cf89a9106af2ed1e060.jpg

Looking towards the front of the park and Tatso

I was freaking out. I'm kind of scared of heights, I have no problem getting on any ride as long as I'm strapped in but the Skytower and hotel balconies freak me out! I was on the verge of having a panic attack

Ok, so good to know I wasn't the only one.

I was freaking out before I even got in or anywhere NEAR Sky Tower. As soon as we started to head over there, I started getting all scared and my hands got all sweaty. And it totally didn't help that i had two guys telling me gruesome things like if I were to fall, it's okay, because it wouldn't hurt, but it would hurt the small children standing outside, because I would splatter all over them. I got into the elevator and I could SWEAR that was the LONGEST elevator ride I've EVER been in. Getting to the top was bad, and THANK GOD William was there to give me a hug. I seriously would've probably crawled into fetal position in a random corner if it weren't for you hun. I tried to approach the windows to see X2 and Viper and Goliath, but everytime I did, that thing would sway like CRAZY. Luckily the ride down went quite quickly.

Seriously, there are no words on how to explain how AWESOME WCB was!!!!!!

Thanks to EVERYONE!

I tried to approach the windows to see X2 and Viper and Goliath, but everytime I did, that thing would sway like CRAZY.

I found that walking around up there was sort of like being on a cruise ship in moderate seas. However, when looking through a camera lens while bracing the camera against the metal window frames it became apparent that thing was swaying a lot. It did seem that it swayed more when the elevator was underway. I think most people would be fine if they just went up and looked at the displays without looking out the windows.

Another thing to consider is that most of us had been riding coasters all day so our inner ears probable were sloshing around quite a bit by night time. Most guests will not have that kind of coaster count during a normal day at the park.

Al

I found myself a bit unnerved by the swaying as well-I have no problem with heights on coasters or rides (as long as I am strapped in securely) but something about tall structures gets to me at times. Nevertheless, I still went up there twice and will go again next time I am at the park, because the museum is truly impressive and one of the coolest things I think I have ever seen SFMM do.

By the way-awesome TR from Robb. Some really great pics in there, makes me wish I had taken more than I did!

I have said it before, in my TR and earlier in this thread, but it bears repeating: I can't give enough thanks to Robb & Family, Chris & Family, and Jay, Neal and Tim and the whole SFMM crew for such an awesome event. The whole day/night was truly world class.

I came away from the event with an even greater impression that SFMM is in the right hands to live up to the tremendous potential for greatness it has. For anyone skeptical, I'm fairly experienced at deciphering corporate driven "BS" and spin, and I am not hearing any of that from SFMM's new "Dream Team" at all. Instead, what I have experienced my most recent visits to the park and my experiences at both the DVD Release Event and at West Coast Bash are genuine, sincere, hard working and honest people who truly care and are committed to making SFMM the premier destination for both top notch thrills and family fun that the park has the potential to be.

There's a pic in Robb's Trip report of Jay Thomas working behind the counter at Johnny Rockets (I missed that part of the night, I almost ate at JR's but was headed up to see the Sky Tower Museum and was going to swing by Panda Express to eat on the way to the lockers. ) Anyway-in that picture you can see the face of someone who truly has a passion for what they're doing and cares about providing a good guest experience whatever it takes, and that's something that was unfortunately lacking at the park for a while until now.

As I was telling a friend of mine over the weekend, I get annual passes to both SFMM and Knott's every year, and for the past few years I have spent the majority of my time at Knott's; this season I will be spending a lot more time at SFMM, and that decision has been influenced by the positive experiences I have had there recently.

So again, big thanks to the park not only for the hospitality at these events, but also for really caring about the park-doing things like making it a cleaner place, getting the rides up to capacity, fixing and upgrading X, and more. The future definitely looks bright.

Diana has a friend out visiting from Iowa, and we may hit the park this weekend. How likely are we to run into Jay and/or Neal randomly walking around?

Honestly, I hope we do because I want to tell either or both of them what a bang-up job they're doing.

Eric