TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Tibidabo coaster

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has Vekoma recently redone/upgraded their website, like Intamin did a while ago?

It seems a lot different than it was in the past.

That looks like a really interesting (family?) coaster. Except 50mph is pretty quick for your average family coaster. I like how it's built into the terrain. And this is opening in 2008 in Spain?

In addition, I noticed on Vekoma's website they have their own take on the Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster. It also looks interesting.

Thanks for posting this Erik!

The coaster looks really cool. I absolutely loved Tibidabo when I visited last month but felt it lacked a real "signature attraction" well except for (Plane on a stick). This coaster looks like it could do the job - very reminiscent of Lisebergbanan!

OMG!

You made my day! :O WOW... I didn't noticed this video when I last visited Vekoma's website. It really has that Lisebergbanan feeling. Really low to the ground with a first great drop.

I think it will become the new highlight of the park because of its location and because everyone will be able to enjoy - adults and kids alike.

According to the park, it should be open by July-August 2008. So, expect some updates from this when I start working again there in February.

Their website looks very professional now (alot better than B&Ms). There's even a model of a four seat car, eight car train on the engineering section, so looks like they've also taken a hint from other companies. That ride that could be built at Tibidabo seems to make creative use of the side of the mountain as well, snaking around (some parts remind me of Ninja at Magic Mountain).

I do hope this coaster finally gets built, from looking at the animated movie - the coaster looks really good. Also I really like Tibidabo itself.

They where clearing / flattening the land for the coaster when I was there in June 2006.

In a strange way, this coaster kinda reminds me of Lisebergbanan at Liseberg

They where clearing / flattening the land for the coaster when I was there in June 2006.

Nah, that land was cleared to make room for the Air Diver. The coaster will be fitted in one of the hilly sides of the park, with a ground-hugging layout.

Tibidabo is the highest point in Barcelona? I did not know that (atleast, thats what Vekoma says)

I've always wondered what the deal was with this ride. I'm happy its finally being built, even if it was after TPR came.

Oh well, atleast they got to enjoy the plane on a stick!

In a strange way, this coaster kinda reminds me of Lisebergbanan at Liseberg

Agreed. Very close to the ground, a lot of banked turns, and from the looks of it, not really that much else. Reminds me a lot of Lisebergbanan.

Let's hope it's a good addition to a small but good park!

• 1 month later...

Today the park had the presentation of the new coaster for the Media and the Press. According to a Council article, the new ride might be opening at the end of the year after several disagreements with the locals:

I've translated the article into English so that everyone can understand what it says:

The new coaster will reach speeds up to 80 kph

Tibidabo is ready to start the construction of the most ambitious ride in its history. In April, works for the installation of the new roller coaster that might be opening between October and November will start at the amusement park, according to Sara Jaurrieta, Councillor of Sarrià-Sant Gervasi (the quarter next to Park) and President of Tibidabo.

This new ride is going to replace the old roller coaster, which dates from the sixties, and will provide great sensations. The highest point will be at 522 meters above the sea level where you will be able to enjoy a wonderful view over Barcelona, the seaside and the towns nearby, like el Vallès.

The layout starts with a slow ascent to the top reaching 33.2 meters (108 ft) in height. After a small turn, the vehicle will take riders down a 66º steep, 37 meter (121 ft) drop.

An exhilarating ride follows along 718 meters (2355 ft) of track, although most of the layout will go through trees and bushes and really close to the ground creating a speeding sensation.

Despite not reaching high speeds and not featuring inversions, like other European roller coasters do, the coaster will last 85 seconds, reaching 80 kph (50 mph) exposing riders to forces up to 3,5 G’s.

The final cost of the ride that will be aimed at young thrill-seekers (minimum height 110 cm) and teenagers alike is around 3 million Euros. The ride is completely adapted for handicapped people, requires less maintenance, energy and will be less noisy than the old coaster.

Its two trains will be carrying about 1010 guests per hour.

190 new trees will be planted

The construction of this new roller coaster will affect 58 trees, 50 of which will be removed and 8 of which will be transplanted.

In addition to this, 190 new trees will be planted in the area of the new roller coaster and a Environmental Commission will be created to supervise the installation works. Furthermore, the works will be made with special machinery due to the particular orography in which the coaster will sit.

Source: BCN.cat

Original article: http://w3.bcn.es/V01/Serveis/Noticies/V01NoticiesLlistatNoticiesCtl/0,2138,1653_1802_1_438876941,00.html?bcnAccessible=true&accio=detall&home=HomeBCN

Next to the article there's a link to the official video released by Vekoma The article also features some shots of the coaster in action as well as some pictures of both trains (see pics below):

Yesterday almost all the newspapers of Barcelona had the news about the new roller coaster for Tibidabo that it will begin to be build in one month and it will be open in November.

Here the scans of different newspapers. Scans made by me

I translate the headlines for those who can't read Spanish or Catalan.

METRO (Front page)

"The little Dragon Khan for Tibidabo"

"A roller coaster with nice sea views"

La Vanguardia

"New emotions at 80km/h at Tibidabo"

El Periódico de Catalunya

"The Tibidabo's roller coaster will be open at the ned of the year"

"The polemical building work will cut down 50 trees but they will replant 190"

ADN

"A roller coaster in a wood"

"Will replant 190 trees and will cut down 50 for the new Tibidabo's attraction"

QUÈ!

"The new coaster will take 50 trees off"

"Only 8 healthy trees will resist the transplant. 190 new trees will be plant there. Youl will be able to ride the coaster on November"

I hope you like it guys!!

See you!

Wow this is good news from a great little park.

I am a bit confused, the translated press release (thanks Oriol) says that this will be quiter than the old coaster. Are they removing a coaster and if so, which one?

Wow this is good news from a great little park.

I am a bit confused, the translated press release (thanks Oriol) says that this will be quiter than the old coaster. Are they removing a coaster and if so, which one?

They will remove the old roller coaster called "Montaña Rusa" (http://www.rcdb.com/ig1578.htm) and they will remove the Zamperla Super Express too (http://www.rcdb.com/ig1578.htm).

Well, that's what I think...

See you!