Congrats to our own Oscar Winner!

SharkTums

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the nomination for the award. I saw the movie and thought it was very well written and did not follow the normal path that movies about this topic take. I have to say that of the nominees for best picture, this is in my top 2. Here's hoping that there is a show and we can see you at the event.

Juno has a 93% rating on rottentomatoes.com. For those of you not familiar with the website, that means that 93% of critics gave it a positive review. I checked out what the 7% of critics who didn't like the film had to say. Some of the reviews are quite interesting, and those critics made good arguments as to why they didn't like Juno. I encourage all of you to check them out, they are fun to read if nothing else. I have not seen Juno, but after reading the negative reviews I'm not sure I want to! (lol, j/k) Actually, I'm pretty sure I will see it, I'm just not sure where I'll stand anymore.

There's this thing called "thinking for yourself". Try it.

I saw "Juno" last weekend (as promised) and loved it! For me it was a cross between Garden State and Napoleon Dynamite, and I mean that in the best possible way! The humor was realistic and fresh, the premise was handled in a unique and refreshing way that somehow made me feel like it's possible for something good to come from such a typically unfortunate situation. I laughed out loud, and got teary at the end. I love the ending - simple, yet original. It's so obvious why this movie was nominated. I also noticed that the audience was a mix of all ages, and we all seemed to enjoy the film. Again, congrats!

Kelly and I finally got around to checking out Juno tonight and I wanted to add my thoughts and praises as well.

Semi spoilers on the horizon folks, ye be warned...................

- The Thundercats line near the end of the movie was 80's retro, laugh out loud goodness. Ellen Page delivers her lines in a way that looks like improv its so natural. She has a bright future ahead of her after shinning so brightly in this movie.

- I will never look at my beloved Knott's Boysenberry products the same way ever EVER again!

- It's so strange to see J.K. Simmons on OZ one night, then Juno the next. He's a super versatile actor, and it was great to see him playing Juno's father. As a male who experienced a teen pregnancy scare back when I was 18, my parents reacted the same way Juno's parents did. It's always nice to see the other side of that coin, instead of the "Your life is over, and you have shamed your family forever" scenario.

- It was very interesting to watch the tables turn on how the audience viewed Vanessa and Mark. It almost felt like the story was going to go in a really weird direction for a second, but it was just another coming of age/maturing lesson for Juno. I know Kelly and I both were almost yelling "Don't do anything stupid Juno!!" at the screen during one of the last scenes with Mark.

I honestly haven't felt this good leaving the movie theater in a long time. Something about this story hit home for me in a personal way, (and a ton of other people as I'm sure you already know.)

Great job to everyone involved with this project, and I hope you all get the recognition you rightfully deserve.

-Sean

It's so strange to see J.K. Simmons on OZ one night, then Juno the next. He's a super versatile actor, and it was great to see him playing Juno's father.

OMG, that's where I know that guy from.

Yeah, those two characters are worlds apart.

• 2 weeks later...

She didn't buy them. Normally with these kinds of things, they don't purchase them for the Oscars but rather the designers let them wear them. Why? Because they're walking billboards for the designer's other work when they're on the red carpet.

Anyway, back on topic, here's hoping DCody wins the Oscar! Juno has to be the most engaging of all the films listed there! You can literally walk in at any point of the movie and be pulled into the characters' world.

-Jahan

What person would buy a $1,000,000 pair of shoes? You could buy a flat from freaking KMG and STILL have a nice amount of cash left over for the electircity and maintenance bills!

She didn't. Designers use shows like the Oscars to put their name out by loaning celebrities enormously expensive items to wear on the red carpet.

edit: Beaten to the punch by seconds.