TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island Renames Rides

As expected, the Kings Island website has been updated with new generic names for the Paramount movie-themed rides. No big surprises:

Top Gun-->Flight Deck

Italian Job-->Backlot Stunt Coaster

Tomb Raider-->The Crypt

Face/Off-->Invertigo

Apparently they didn't read the other topics on this site complaining about Flight Deck...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently they didn't read the other topics on this site complaining about Flight Deck...

[rant]

Whining would be quite a bit more apt a word here.

Honestly, they are not the best names, but please, do not make a fool of yourself and call these the worst names ever. They may be a little bland, but come on. Look at the competition. Orange Streak at MOA, Wild & Wooly Toboggan at Little Amerricka, The Boss at SFSL, even Son of Beast right there.

I said they were a little bland, but really, a lot of names are. The Voyage, Demon, Iron Wolf, Ripsaw. I could go on and on. Maybe a step higher or so than these, but still.

I'm sure many of you only actually hate these names because this topic is not only about Kings Island, but also about Cedar Fair. And since those two are in question, apparently every other comment needs to be harsh criticism about the most minor things.

[/rant]

I'm sure many of you only actually hate these names because this topic is not only about Kings Island, but also about Cedar Fair. And since those two are in question, apparently every other comment needs to be harsh criticism about the most minor things.

For me it's the other way around. I poke fun at Cedar Fair because of the lame things they do: their general lack of creativity, non-existent theming, brake raped and generally mediocre rides, overpriced bad food, sterile park environments, and overall lack of attention to detail. And a bad name yes isn't a problem in itself. However, Disney rules the theme park game in no small part because of their incredible attention to the little things. Cedar Fair could learn a lot from them.

I said they were a little bland, but really, a lot of names are. The Voyage, Demon, Iron Wolf, Ripsaw. I could go on and on. Maybe a step higher or so than these, but still.

When Demon opened, it was a heavily themed ride, so it was not a bland name.

For me I look at this thread as a little payback for all the crap SF has taken over the years for"How many batman and superman rides can you have". As a person who greatly prefers SF it was very annoying, but true. Now we see that when CF owns a large amount of parks they are just as crappy at naming rides as SF was.

What goes around comes around.

For me it's the other way around. I poke fun at Cedar Fair because of the lame things they do: their general lack of creativity, non-existent theming, brake raped and generally mediocre rides, overpriced bad food, sterile park environments, and overall lack of attention to detail. And a bad name yes isn't a problem in itself. However, Disney rules the theme park game in no small part because of their incredible attention to the little things. Cedar Fair could learn a lot from them.

See, I completely disagree. They just came up with both Renegade and Maverick. Four of my top five coasters are at Cedar Fair parks. Theming shouldn't matter if the ride itself is good. Worlds of Fun has really delicious sandwiches priced fairly (compared to $25 for second-rate pizza at Six Flags). IMO, Cedar Fair parks have wonderful atmospheres. They feel like amusement parks, not like parking lots (if you want sterile, go to Kentucky Kingdom).

You're right, they're not the absolute best, but they don't deserve all the hatred they get. 98% of it truly is pointless whining. You must admit that.

I feel similarly about Six Flags (to a lessr degree) and most other parks that get beaten unfairly.

What I don't understand is why so many enthusiasts can't just enjoy it. They have to nitpick, and if something isn't exactly how it is at Disney or Busch or (especially) Holiday World, it isn't worth squat.

That, I suppose, is the root of my problem here.

However, Disney rules the theme park game in no small part because of their incredible attention to the little things.

Right

Big Thunder Railroad, Big Thunder Railroad, Big Thunder Railroad

or how about Space Mountain, Space Mountain, Space Mountain

Disney might pay a lot of attention to detail, but they don't take the time to give similar rides different names at each of their parks, so I don't see the relevance of bringing up Disney in this thread.

You're right, they're not the absolute best, but they don't deserve all the hatred they get. 98% of it truly is pointless whining. You must admit that. I feel similarly about Six Flags (to a lessr degree) and most other parks that get beaten unfairly.

It's a message board. It's all pointless to a degree.

Six Flags in many instances is guilty of many of the same things that CF does. Concessions are expensive and bad. Buildings and rides aren't always well maintained. Rides are added on top of parking lots. But, CF does these things to a seemingly greater degree. They epitomize blandness. I also give Six Flags more slack on their weaker points because I think they have better rides in general.

If you take away Cedar Point, the CF chain is weak. Six Flags, on the other hand, has several strong parks: SFGAdv, SFGAm, SFOG, SFOT, etc. And, apparently SFMM has new management that is committed to turning the place around.

Right

Big Thunder Railroad, Big Thunder Railroad, Big Thunder Railroad

or how about Space Mountain, Space Mountain, Space Mountain

Disney might pay a lot of attention to detail, but they don't take the time to give similar rides different names at each of their parks, so I don't see the relevance of bringing up Disney in this thread.

Both Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain RR probably have more thought and creativity put into them than everything in the CF chain. I'm not one to complain about clones of really good rides. My post was more about an overall pattern of mediocrity.

I really don't care much about the names, but I do think these new ones suck. Those rides at KI are still going to be just as crappy as they were, and Tomb Raider will actually be worse now, although it would be pretty hard to worse then it was. I do think a good name can really help a ride and both parks do pull out some orginal ones now and then. I personally just find CF to be the most corporate of all the parks. The walkways are always the same, the customer service is always the same, and the parks all look like mini CP's. That wouldn't be bad, except for the fact that these other parks are not surrounded by water and that gives CP the little bit of atmosphere it has left.

This wasn't unexpected, but it's still sad to see Top Gun go to Flight Deck. Why not "Jet Coaster" or anything that describes movement, not stationary as in flight deck. Sounds like a boat ride on a carrier, not a plane ride.

Whatever, I'll pass on the season pass this year and wait until next year. Hope they have a good season.

-James Dillaman

A few weeks ago, I posted my opinions on the name "Flight Deck" to replace "Top Gun" at Carowinds. And I even added this.

to the person who thought up "Flight Deck"

Now as to Kings Island, I'm not to sure to complain of the name change because the station does look like you're on a battleship. Still, I was hoping for "The Bat" to return although the changes require would be downright expensive and time consuming for that rehab.

Oh well, bad name, but excellent ride.

[rant]

Whining would be quite a bit more apt a word here.

Honestly, they are not the best names, but please, do not make a fool of yourself and call these the worst names ever.

I do believe everyone was just being sarcastic. I don't see the need to get all defensive at people poking fun at CF. Besides, we all do it.