TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tomorrowland refurbishment ( DLR )

Tommorow is actually much easier to achieve than people think.

I think Disney should consult Daft Punk's people when redesigning the land.

But on the most part.

Rocket Jets needs to return to the top of the peoplemover station.

The peoplemover needs to be revived. Nothing fancy just a good people eater like the WDW version is.

From what I understand, the arcade needs to be completely redesigned and use both floors. If not, then one of the floors should be used as part of a replacement attraction to the Pizza Port. Alien Encounter was a great idea and would have worked better at Disneyland as the attraction would have no been at the front of the area. But that ride is probably dead.

Innoventions needs to become a new carousal theater attraction. Yet another people eater. I think an interplanetary convention theater show could be really awesome. The upper floor should be some sort of "tech based" walk-through. I would love to see the city of the future revived, but all done with 3D holograms. (technology is getting there...) (plus, it would be a really cool use of the interactivity Disney is pushing these days.)

Space Mountain is fine. Star Tours is something. I dunno. Autopia should be updated to electronic.

I've never been to Disneyland though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard on the radio today that they're doing a new version of "the house of the future" for tomorrowland. (Click for article) Not exactly my first choice for a new attraction, but I'll withold judgement on it until I actually see it. As far as what I'd like to see, the empty people mover track has bugged me for a long time now. Since there's almost no avoiding a Pixar tie-in with any new ride, an Incredibles pod ride on the people mover track would be ok with me. The people mover was a real "people eater" back in the day and I would hope that any new attraction on that track would also be high capacity.

*Replace HISTA with a Tron-themed 3D movie that utilizes the same theater.

*Bring a new version of Rocket Rods that works out onto the PM track

*Replace Redd Rocket's with a new, updated version of Mission to Mars, perhaps with a robocoaster

*Create two new films for Star Tours, run the original one with them and have guests choose their destination

*Move the Rocket Jets to their rightful place above the PM track with a new look as bright, neon wrapped flying saucers

*Remove the former Cosmic Waves section and add a new futuristic fountain that is not accessible by guests, perhaps include the large marble as part of it

*Replace all of the Autopia cars with electric cars and add a new color scheme to the current buildings

*Make the Tomorrowland Train Station indoors as a futuristic train depot

*Turn all of Innoventions into the House of The Future, not just the bottom level, and feature the section where the new Rocket Rods are as part of the future transportation segment

*Use the former Astro Orbiter footprint as a new, alien-esque landscaped area with a new sign similar to HKDL's

*Remove all of the rockwork around the entrance and replace with new, planetary pavement patterns and potted plants

*Use the Starcade for the return of Circlevision with a New Film

*Add new colorful murals into empty spaces above the Tomorrowland Terrace

*Remove the current murals above the Astro Blasters and Star Tours buildings and replace them with new, glowing Alien hieroglyphs

*Replace all paving with new, planetary-themed paving

*Ditch the Agrofuture concept and replace all plants with large plam trees and small bushes and plants, with a few metal flowers and palm trees thrown in

*Remove the Star trader and replace the area closest to Tomorrowland with a new Space exibit sponsored by NASA, like the one from 1998, and the area closest to Star Tours' exit with a new space-terminal themed shop.

That would be my version of the Unused Tomorrowland 2055 concept

As for unrealistic, but rather what I want to see happen=

*Move Nemo's entrance to Fantasyland, use the former Motorboat Cruise area as part of the new queue

*Annex Nemo into Fantasyland as part of a transition section between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

There we go...

I was wondering when someone was going to mention Tron. I can't believe that Disneyland never did anything with this concept. Since they are making a sequel they should do a ride with it.

As far as Autotopia, it is a great ride for dad's to take the little ones on. I took my son when he was 3 years old and it was one of his favorite rides. Now he is almost 5 and he can't wait to go back and ride it again.

As everyone has mentioned the People Mover needs to come back.

I also miss Adventure through Inner Space. They need to get back to more adventure type rides in Tomorrowland instead of just showing us toasters that have a built in clock.

After considering this a little more, I think a ride based on the ARES I emergency escape roller coaster would be an awesome fit in tomorrowland. Link The storyline could have you setting out on deep space adventure only to have your launch aborted for some reason, at which point you'd board the coaster and "escape" the launch pad. From the pictures in the link, it looks like the vertical track of the coaster would provide a pretty good thrill. Of course, that'd be only part of ride experience if done right though. The queue for the ride would actually have to be part of the whole experience (much like ToT). They could have all sorts of pre launch checks taking place (Sort of like Star Tours, but more real-life NASA type stuff) that build into some emergency situation as you near the loading zone. To build in some re-ridability, they could have different scenarios that result in the aborted launch, with associated special effects in the queue that are specific to whichever reason the launch is aborted. I'm sure that if anyone could pull it off in reasonably convincing fashion, it'd be Disney.

1. Bulldoze tomorrowland.

2. ?????

3. Profit.

wtf?

Bring back a new version of the People Mover.

Put the rockets back on top of the PM station.

New movie for Star Tours.

All this would require a lot of money and would improve the area.

Man, would I do alot of things to improve tomorrowland.

I'd...

-Relocate the Astro Orbiters at the front of tomorrowland to be put back on top of the PeopleMover station and replace the fugly satellite dish thing that is currently there

-Add new films to be played in Star Tours, as discussed before.

-Add new effects into Space Mountain (possibly the effects from Hong Kong's Space Mountain), and maybe revive the Rockit Mountain theme. If they can't do that, then fix the big asteroid at the top of the 2nd lift hill to finally work.

-I don't know how it would work, but I think a ExtraTERRORestrial: Alien Encounter-like ride would be great there.

-Honey, I Shrunk the Audience should be replaced with a more futuristic and new concept. Also discussed before, a TRON movie would is an awesome idea.

-Bring back the PeopleMovers, but bring it back with new, more futuristic cars. Maybe it'd be cool to have little screens in each of the cars to check wait times of rides in all of the park, or to do other things. I don't know, just anything to make the ride seem all-new and add to the futuristic aspect of it.

-Autopia would have electric cars and get rid of their current sponsorship with that one gas company. All the cartoon-looking cars and the corny screen that plays the stupid movies in line would be removed. All of the themeing would be re-done to look more futuristic.

-The stupid red rocks would be replaced with large chrome structures or futuristic fountains.

In a nutshell, I think all they need to do is to make Tomorrowland seem more... "tomorrow".

Everybody is mentioning returning Astro Jets/ Rocket Jets back on top of the PM platform. If I remember correctly, not only was that a mentioned rumor, but the whole reason the replaced it was because of the hectic loading and unloading area. Unless they figured out a better way to do it, I don't see elevators working out again.

As for Rocket Rods/ People Mover, it seems that something will appear in the near future. Has the platform even been touched since 2001? The Queue rails are still up there and stuff.

• 3 months later...

From Screamscape:

Late 2009 or Early 2010 - Star Tours 2 - Semi-Confirmed - (5/28/08) After all these years of following rumors for the next version of Star Tours confirmation of the project has finally been leaked in an article about the GCI effects for the latest Indiana Jones film. While interviewing Hayden Landis, a head GCI guru for Lucasfilm’s ILM, the last paragraph says, “Next up for Landis is another nostalgia-oriented project--a redo of the Star Tours ride at Disneyland.” We can only assume that the project will also be launched at the other three Star Tours attractions around the globe at the same time or shortly afterwards.

I think everything that is old is new again. Look at the new Monorail. It looks like the original 1959 version.The 1967 Tomorrowland remodel was great.The newest one was just a high priced paint job. The whole H.G.Wells look is fine but I think it's done. Star Tours will be fine. Space Mt. is good. Red Rockets is a good place to eat with a fine "Retro" look. (Hell who doesn't love looking at the old ride posters?) The Rocket jets have to be put back on top but they have to solve the load issues. Look at what they could do now with Carousel of Progress with todays technology. Plus who doesn't want to have 15 to 20 min. of resting your feet and cool air in the middle of a 102' summer day. Peoplemover berm has to have something going on it. I'm sure we have all heard the Incredibles rumor.I feel they should look into their past to look to the future. If you look at the early concepts drawn be Herb Ryman, Sam Mckim, John Hench,Collin Campell, Claud Coats Their Tommorwland was so futuristic looking and it still is.

I really appreciate all the feedback! I think they do need to look in the past to find the future. With the retro monorails, they need to bring back the *old* future with a new twist. I would like to see the following :

- Remove the Astro Orbitor, and put it back on top of the PM station. Add a cool new look with some effects that play on a loop every 20-30 minutes.

- bring back the People Mover. Add a better security system from the inside to outside sections (back in the day, some people have fallen from getting out of the cars.) Like FitchCoaster said, add video screens inside that are updated daily, or possibly hourly, with restaurant wait times, attraction wait times, and show times.

- Make a better entrance/exit for both peoplemover and Astro Orbitor.

- Add newer electric cars to autopia. Instead of having Chevron as the sponser, add a electricity/ or "Green" sponser. Remove the screen playing the corny jokes, redesign the whole que, and add Disney movies that relate to Cars.

- improve the entrance to the Train Station, and make it easier to get to. Right now, it's hidden, and not really clean.

- Add the HKDL Space Mountain effects to our Space Mountain, add "Better" music.

- Remove HISTA, and add either Stitch's great Escape, or a show featuring Wall-E (depending on how well it does 2 the box offices)

-Add 3 new videos to Star Tours. One each themed to the latest movies. 1st film would be a podrace, the 2nd would be a battle and the 3rd would be a fight scene helping Anakin and Obi-Wan (similar to the intro of the movie)

- Take out the Tomorrowland Terrace and add a bigger covered " Space Cafe"

- Redesign Redd Rocket's Pizza Port

- Take out Innoventions, bring back Carousel of Progress

- Redo the Entrance

I think this should do for now, lol

>>Jake

Instead trying to go all futuristic in tomorrowland, (which, i understand, is the point, but hear me out) I'd go for more of a retro-future kind of area.

Instead of the iPod whites and simple sharp shapes that seem to be emerging as "futuristic" i would go for more of a copper look with lots of rivets, and curvy shapes. Occasional puffs of steam coming from various machinery. In all, a very industrial feel.

I think perhaps it could feel more timeless that way, and not feel out-of-date so quickly.

I would let rides follow that pattern too. Give them a good, rustic feel while still looking forward.

Specifically, though, i can't say what i would change other than the genreal tone. I've only been to Disney twice.

Instead trying to go all futuristic in tomorrowland, (which, i understand, is the point, but hear me out) I'd go for more of a retro-future kind of area.

Instead of the iPod whites and simple sharp shapes that seem to be emerging as "futuristic" i would go for more of a copper look with lots of rivets, and curvy shapes. Occasional puffs of steam coming from various machinery. In all, a very industrial feel.

I think perhaps it could feel more timeless that way, and not feel out-of-date so quickly.

I would let rides follow that pattern too. Give them a good, rustic feel while still looking forward.

Specifically, though, i can't say what i would change other than the genreal tone. I've only been to Disney twice.

I think that's what they tried to do this last time. When it was finished all of TL was copper color. That's that whol H.G. Wells look. I do like the steam and machine feel though.

• 1 year later...

Tomorrowland is outdated and empty. Even with the recent additions, it still feels superficial. If only it would return to how Walt oringinally thought it should be. A vista into the world of tomorrow. Not to b a rehash of their films. Here is what should stay:

Space Mountain

Submarine Voyage

Innoventions

Star Tours 2

Autopia

What needs to change or go!

Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters-I know...this is a decent family ride but they came ouyt with a very similar and better ride in DCA

Pizza Port-cut the crappy 90's feel and give it a futuristic modern touch and update the menu

People Mover/Rocket Rods Track. PUT SOMETHING THERE!!!!! Preferably something fast and furious:)

Keep:

Buzz

Space Mountian

Star tours

monorail

subs

autopia

Move Jedi Academy into the Inoventions building and retheme the space to a star wars universe.

For god sake get rid of HISTA, please. put in another crowd eating show, but not this dated thing.

Bring back the night time shows that were in the Jedi sage after you move inside.

Someone here had some great marketing ideas for robot store and gadget stores, grat idea, sell those led tee shirts and other nerd goodies.

Keep the build you own light saber store, move it to the new star wars universe building. I'm telling you Disney you need to do this, have you seen the number of people that crowd around that little stage four or five times a day! Inoventions is a sad excuse for a show.

Bring back the people movers, another crowd eater.

I have mixed feeling about the astro jets being there at all, Disneyland has two rides that are the same. Getting rid of one is not a bad idea. Or just move it back to the top of the people mover.

Tomorrowland is actually my favourite land in DL. I'm fairly sure that's just the nostalgia factor though, it's where I spent most of my time in DL as a kid.

As much as I enjoy HISTA for the nostalgia factor, it was practically empty in the middle of summer. Replace it with something else.

Fix up the Autopia cars - am I the only one who had serious cramped foot by the end of it? I'm sure my car was broken.

Star Tours 2 - already happening.

Innoventions - I'd put something like... a ride in that space. Hey, what a wacky idea. I could be an Imagineer.

I really wish they'd do the Rocket Rods again, but not bollocks it up. I absolutely adored that ride when I was younger.

While Rocket Rods was awesome, there's no sense in adding a fast car ride when they're adding a fast 'car' ride across the plaza.

They DO need to fix up innovations and make it cool again, last time I went in there it was a piece o' crap mixed with an Xbox advertisement. Hell, they could add a clone of 'The Sum of All Thrills' there or something similar to that.

Innoventions - I'd put something like... a ride in that space. Hey, what a wacky idea. I could be an Imagineer.

This actually made me laugh for a split second.

I'd like to see something like a high-profile thrill ride in tomorrowland. And I also want to join the campaign to bring back the originality of Disney's rides. I mean, they make movies based on the rides there, what happens when you add nothing but rides based on movies?*

*Wave after wave of sequels and direct-to-dvd movies...

The first time I went to DL was last spring and i have to say us east coast people are spoiled because our TL seems bigger, 1 centralized theme, and brighter tones. While I thought the new direction DLs TL is taking, i still think a lot more needs to be done. By the way near the Pizza Restraint their was a construction wall in the middle of the path, was that where that terrible water attraction was?