TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tomorrowland refurbishment ( DLR )

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first and foremost something needs to be put on the PeopleMover track. I think using the former Carousel building for Innoventions is pretty much a waste of space. If an attraction was put on the first floor and the second floor used for exhibit space, I could live with that. Wishing for the Skyway to return is futile. Although I didn't like how former ride space was replaced with a restaurant (Redd Rocketts), it is still a very popular place nearly 10 years later, despite the food being mediocre, so I can respect that. Bringing back the Submarine Voyage was a BIG step in the right direction, despite its Nemo theme. Mark VII Monorail, also.

Since the Mark 7 monorails are already a hit, why not do tasteful retro/future updates on the People Mover trains and rockets ride that used to sit on top of the nearby platform (buncha satellite dishes are there now)?

* The subtley updated people mover trains could offer lcd screens with park info, restaurant suggestions, ride wait times, ride closures, etc. Perhaps LEDs similar to the Mark 7s that are an eyecatcher at night.

*Maybe some exhibits highliting current everyday tech, and some the trends like OLEDs on the horizon.

* A gadget store that sells things like Ipods and MP3 players, cameras, the high-tech vests with sewn in Ipod controls, high tech urban wear, etc. Maybe ink a deal with Best Buy or Compusa like what's been done with Ben & Jerry's at other parks.

* Robot store. Yes, this has been done in the past, but with toys like Robosapien, and Lego Mindstorms, etc., it could be updated.

* Kiosks that allow purchase and download of Disney movies and songs. If you have your Ipod or Zune and it has wi-fi, buy some Disney souvenir music and download it on the spot. For that matter ringtones and wall papers for cell phones are another consideration.

* Robocoaster (robot arm with seats). Cleverly themed, this could lend well to the area. Think Expo Robotics show from 1980's Epcot, but with a new twist.

All these things, done carefully enough, could update Future World subtley, and not ruin the retro charm and the parts we love.

Well, I would first either retrofit any Pixar-style attraction and turn it into something more fitting about the world of tommorow. Restore Mission To Mars and update Innoventions.

Then, about the Peoplemover tracks. I would put it back in operation with cars with the metal bars and a sensor that detects motion and stops the ride if it does.

jarmor, here's some pictures of the current Tomorrowland. What do you think?

I personally think that they need to coordinate their colors better. Autopia still has the burgundy and dark greens, while Space Mountain is back the the Original White. The rest is purples and blues. The new monorails are going to help. They need to put in the peoplemover again. Update Star Tours' film. Possibly where they have 3 separate films from the last 3 movies. They need to put in another fast ride, something similar to Test Track. Take out Innoventions, and have a ride on each level. Maybe the first level could be Mission Space, and the second, Stitch's Great Escape. Update the Train Station, and Take out Redd' Rockets' Pizza Port, and put in a better Restaraunt that is reservation only. Take out the Starcade, and put in something to do with Wall-E, and future movie developements.

tl_inoventions.jpg.6f2f5aa4aaa442dbd952863b6b483af6.jpg

This is Innoventions, a place where you can play free disney videogames, and see a segway, but can't ride on one. >:(

tomorrowland_rr80.jpg.66e09b3c7028b340c40f91b908d8e128.jpg

Here's where the peoplemover used to be. And currently there is nothing here. The Satalite dishes on top are a little show synchronized to music playing every 15 minutes or so.

They've made enough improvements since 2004 to where I really don't think Tomorrowland is in bad shape.

If we're talking pie in the sky, though, I'd like to see:

- Replace Star Tours/Star Trader/HISTA with a better Star Wars themed attraction, not a simulator PLEASE.

- Tear down Innoventions and do something better with the space. I honestly don't really want to see a Mission Space clone or knockoff, the centrifuge ride system is limited and I'd rather something brand new go there.

- People Mover 2.0

- Rocket Jets back on top of the PM Station.

XTREME Pie In The Sky a.k.a Will Never Ever Ever Ever Happen:

- Autopia/Motorboat/Monorail area gets some form of the TDS Volcano with updated Journey.

The whole concept of "tomorrow" seems so much harder to project these days than it was years ago. I say return some older attractions and rename it "yesterdayland"

Edit: let me re-phrase. Some of the major futuristic themes talked in the real world nowadays such as genetically engineered food, global warming, cloning and stem cell research might not be the most family friendly Disney topics. At least comparitively to the old vision of the future which was mostly about outer space.

I guess attractions could be rethemed around future energy sources and some other positives, but space travel just held everyone's attention in the past.

What makes Tomorrowland so clunky is the presence of rides like Autopia (it wasn't even futuristic in 1955), Nemo, Matterhorn, heck even Star Tours ("a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"). The theme is so watered down unlike the other lands. It has some great attractions, but doesn't feel any more immersive than a number of other themed lands at non-Disney parks.

The whole concept of "tomorrow" seems so much harder to project these days than it was years ago.

I guess attractions could be rethemed around future energy sources and some other positives, but space travel just held everyone's attention in the past.

I agree, Larry. Nobody pays any attention to space travel unless a disaster happens. Personally, I like the idea of creating attractions around possible realistic and logical futuristic predictions using material like you suggested. This is why the purists can't stand "Pixarizing" everything, when there's so much else out there to get creative with.

I also agree with Autopia "clunking" things up. It pains me to say it, considering the nostalgia associated with it, but my mind is overriding my heart on this one. It just seems like so much more can be done with that space at both US parks. It really does hurt to suggest that though since I have a soft spot for those cars.

And yes, Star Tours desperately needs to transform into a better Star Wars attraction. The answer? Not sure, but you're Disney, and you're George Lucas.....figure it out.

• 4 weeks later...

First and Formost, bring back Rocket Rods or perhaps Peoplemover v2.

Secondly, Update Star Tours with new concept (perhaps a tryout center for Pod Racing?).

Third, Change Innovations into the world's largest play area (I've been to Epcot and they offer many exciting games played with large teams such as the Space Race and Robot Racer).

And Finally (not just to Tomorrowland but to all lands and other Disneyparks) GET RID OF THE FAST PASSES!!! I HATE IT! IN THE END, IT DOESN'T SAVE ANY TIME!!!

Okay, I'm calmed down a bit . . .

This is my 70th post. Past out the champagne!!!

I also agree with Autopia "clunking" things up. It pains me to say it, considering the nostalgia associated with it, but my mind is overriding my heart on this one. It just seems like so much more can be done with that space at both US parks. It really does hurt to suggest that though since I have a soft spot for those cars.

How about just greatly revamping Autopia? It's my favorite fixed path car ride. And I think it's crucial for the kiddies to have a ride like that where they get a cute little faux license and all.

*Star Tours upgrade/refurb

*People Mover return/track used for something

*Innoventions replaced with something...good!

*Astro Orbiter/Rocket Jets returned to top of People Mover

*Honey, I Shrunk the Audience...anything but!

I've never been a fan of of Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, especially since it's in former attraction space, but 10 years later it's still a very popular restaurant with lines often out the door, so who am I to say.

I think the attraction in Tomorrowland that is most missed that was true to the spirit of Disney is Adventure Thru Inner Space. Like BeemerBoy said, the concept of space travel (Rocket to the Moon/Mission To Mars) no longer seems futuristic, but shrinking is still a very "fun" concept, except for "Honey..."

^^Yes, it is still a very popular attraction, although perhaps a more futuristic type of car would be better. Disney has been blurring the borders of the "lands" for many years. America Sings was in no way appropriate for Tomorrowland, but when a very high quality attraction opens, people will flock to it no matter if it's in the proper land or not.