TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I've been Hired at California's Great America!

I am very happy. Today, I went to the annual Job Fair at California's Great America to apply for a job in rides. I went through the interview, which went well. After that, I had to fill out tons of paperwork. I think I just signed my life away. But now, I've been hired at CGA! I will be operating the park's Vekoma Invertigo. I'm so excited!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! I wish I lived near an amusement park so I could be an operator. Don't get bored with pushing buttons You have the duty to operate the ride in a safe manner and, despite the "anti 16-y-olds operating rides" feeling garnered by the SFKK incident, show that 16-y-olds can operate rides safely!

What happens when there is a miscatch? Never seen one. I was a ride op there for several rides/coasters in 1989 and I really liked it. Being outside and watching girls "fall out of their tops" on Grizzly was very enjoyable. It was a little boring at times, pushing buttons and announcing the same spiels for hours on end. We had one goofy op that when he was at panel, he sounded exactly like the famous guy that did all the park announcements for years...creepy! But I will tell you it was absolutely the most fun I have ever had working anywhere. Good luck with it and have a good time. It really is a great place to work at.

The times you'll have... The cool guests, the idiotic guests, the angry guests...

Just realise there'll be several times where you may just get aggro for no particular reason... And you'll be fine...

I dunno bout the operator age of 16 personally, arguably something should be put in place for the minimum 18 because really of maturity reasons, looking at the majority of 16 year olds anywhere in the world, and you think sometimes, 'Oh, dear'... An because of being in the UK, I have to wait till August to be able to do more button pressing than the dispatch on Vampire or the Fast-Stop on Bubbleworks...

But have some fun and interact with the people.. .Specially on the PA

They are some 16 year olds that are very mature while others are not. They are also some 18 year olds that are very mature while others are not.

I work in retail, I'm a Guest Service Team Lead, and sometimes when I'm working and we have a lot of minors that day, I feel like I'm a babysitter, than a supervisor.

I think that a reason they would hire 16 year olds is simple---Cheap Labor. Most 16 year olds are willing to work for squat (minimum wage). Plus if it's there first real job, they will probably be motivated to work hard.

I think that being a ride operator would be a great first job, not to mention working at a theme park. You'll probably make a lot of new friends and have a great time.

I think I just signed my life away.

hahaha... oh wait, i work at six flags....

but on the bright side i've found that places with as many employees as theme parks need a ton of supervisors, so there's lots of opportunity to move up and get managerial experience. that's what i did.