TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney bans Children at WDW Restaraunt

I just came across the following review on AllEarsNet.COM:

Jiko was beautiful and we dressed up for what we thought would be an upscale dinner only to have children screaming and running around on their heelies.

The food however was delicious. I had the filet and while I didn't like the mac and cheese, the sauce was amazing. We had a good time, but for two dining credits it wasn't the relaxing time we had hoped.

Since a$$wipe parents like that refuse to keep their kids on leashes, it seems that Disney should broaden this rule to include a few more of the upscale restaurants.

Here's another similar review:

Jiko has been my husband's and my favorite place to eat at Disney for quite awhile, and our most recent visit was July 1, 2007. Unfortunately, what was once a quiet, intimate dining experience has become something else. We witnessed children running and screaming through the restaurant, and crawling under the tables...things you'd expect at O'hana and Whispering Canyon. It was disappointing, since we'd become accustomed to the upscale ambiance that normally accompanies the high-end prices at a special place like Jiko. While the atmosphere was less than perfect, the food and the service were stellar.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud disney for this. It is sort of shocking that they did it since they are looking for the family image, but I agree that this restaurant needs this rule. Some kids would be perfectly find in this place, but it is the few wild ones that ruin it.

Better yet, they should have the restaurants at Epcot be like bars where no one under 21 (ok....I guess I will say 18) is allowed after 6pm. Aside from character dining and family style restaurants (Ohana's, Whispering Canyon), I prefer eating with adults who act like adults and kids can eat somwhere where they feel comfortable.

The last time I ate at Alfredo's at Epcot, we had a screaming child right next to us. And of course, the parents were oblivous.

I don't blame the kids. I blame the parents and their smug feeling of self importance that lets them think their kids can do whatever they want.

And for those of you under 21, when you get older, you will understand.

My two cents!

All I can say is...BEST IDEA EVER!!!!

There is no reaxon for a kid to be at a restaurant like this, other than cluesss idiot parents who think they have to infect the rest of the world with their spawn at all times. People might occasionally want a relaxing evening, and that's not happening with kids crawling all over the place and yelling. I applaud this move, and think it should be applied to a couple of other places (California Grill immediately comes to mind).

As an aside, I would kill to eat at this place, as I love the occasional upscale meal. Sadly, I hang around with people that think chicken nuggets are high class fare, so this will likely never happen...

dt

Ive been to Epcot a few times and one of the big detractors of some of their estabishments is the "Child Factor". Dont get me wrong, I think they should get some enjoyment out of the Disney Experience as well, but there should be, like vegas, kid-free zones(restaurants, bars, even hotels) where the grown folks can enjoy the "Magic" as well.

^^Best post of the thread.

Like every other poster in this topic I couldn't agree more with this decision.

From my own observations and watching families at theme parks and restaurants the past couple years, most people these days have no clue how to raise their children, much less have kids that listen to them when the parents tell them what to do. Every day I see kids blatantly ignoring their parents when they ask them to do something. Theres stuff that kids get away with these days that I NEVER would have gotten away with when I was 5-12 years old.

Even going to the Block these days, they announce a 10'o clock curfew, and I still see parents walking their kids around at 11 o' clock or later. And all I can think is "What the hell are your kids doing up this late? Get them to bed you stupid parents! There's a reason they don't belong here after 10!"

Same reason why kids shouldn't be in a restaurant where adults are trying to enjoy an quiet, peaceful, expensive dinner. The kids don't belong there. And since I'm over 21 now, I've got no sympathy for minors either. Because when I take my lady out, I really just don't want to see them or deal with their immature minor bullsh*t.

Good move Disney, way to class up your act and cater to the older crowd that visits your park too.

This should be applied to more of the restaurants.

Add Jiko and California Grille to that list pronto. They're not places that cater to kids well at all.

We spent 1/2 our meal at California Grille trying to ignore the 4 kids under 10 at the table next to us. From their behavior, and their parents doing nothing about it, it was obvious the parents succeeded on that part much more than we did.

As an aside, I would kill to eat at this place, as I love the occasional upscale meal. Sadly, I hang around with people that think chicken nuggets are high class fare, so this will likely never happen...

DT,

It's been a while since I've been to a 4 star + restaurant or had a quality Filet Mignon (Hershey Lodge had a terrific one years ago). If you and I are ever on a trip or I'm close by, I too enjoy putting on a suit and tie (or just dressing up) and a nice meal out. Believe it or not, there is some social grace here amongst the puns. Consider it a legitimate standing offer.

Anyone who does nothing about their kids screaming or throwing afit should be throne out. If they are trying to resolve it I dont mind but people just let them do what they want. When im at a resturant any resturant I dont want kids throwing fits and their parents not doing anything!

--David

I love this idea. I have three kids under 8 and would never think of taking them into this kind of restaurant. My favorite part of it is the end of the article where it states "there are 97 other restaurants to enjoy!!!" 97? Like where are we possibly going to go if we can't eat at this place, we have no choices!!!!

^Then again, if every kid was as well behaved as KidTums there wouldn't be a need for this rule!

Except sometimes, you just don't want kids around at a meal regardless of their good behavior.

It's a good move, although I think calling it a "banning" is a little harsh.

^Yeah I totally agree. KT is great and everything, but when going to a nice restaurant there's no reason for her to be here. If Robb and I are alone we'll go to family restaurants. If we have someone to watch her, we'll consider going to a nicer place.

I totally agree with everyone in the thread though that parenting skills are going WAY DOWN HILL! The things I witness children doing nowadays is atrocious.

^I agree with you but I guarantee that this is the logic:

Child Price Ticket and Meals at Disney 3 - 9 Years Old.

Adult Price Ticket and Meals at Disney 10+

Annoying parents would make the argument "Well, if you consider my child an adult at 10 years old, they should be able to do all of the adult activities!"

Once again though, not all 10 year olds and up are animals, it is the image that a lot think of, but isn't true for all. I think it would not be fair for those well behaved children to miss an experience because of others explains. I know grown men that are total retards when it comes to public places, but you don't see people limiting people because of grown men.

Once again though, not all 10 year olds and up are animals, it is the image that a lot think of, but isn't true for all. I think it would not be fair for those well behaved children to miss an experience because of others explains.
I don't know many 10 year olds and under who are interested in AAA Three Diamond dining. IMO, I'd go with 14+. Anyone younger need not apply.

Once again though, not all 10 year olds and up are animals, it is the image that a lot think of, but isn't true for all. I think it would not be fair for those well behaved children to miss an experience because of others explains.
I don't know many 10 year olds and under who are interested in AAA Three Diamond dining. IMO, I'd go with 14+. Anyone younger need not apply.

Agreed. As Elissa stated earlier, as quiet and well-behaved as Kristen is and will no doubt continue to be, Elissa has no desire to take her someplace like this. I can't imagine I ever would either. Have you seen the menu for this place?!?! Who takes their kids someplace where there's a smart dress code and where $200 caviar and $100 steaks are served? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't dream of taking my kids someplace like that no matter how well behaved. Even if they actually ate stuff on the menu, I would assume that other diners in a place like that wouldn't want my children around even on the off-chance that they might act up or be loud.

Some places are just meant to be child-free. Disney is one of them.

^^Agree...I think that there are some kids that are well behaved...but there are some snot-nosed little pains in the rear...well you know, distracts from the ambiance of a restaurant.

If restaurants can enforce a dress code, they should install a noise ordinance too.

Maybe they can get the obnoxious-cell phone person to stop talking like they are in a stadium in all the WDW table service restaurants.

I ate there with my family on christmas day in '05 when i was 16 and i really liked it, but i know had it been a few years earlier i wouldn't have wanted most of what was on the menu. It's pretty much common sense not to take young kids to a restaurant like that, they wouldn't enjoy it at all. Good move Disney.

On the one hand I can understand that they want to ban children from these kind of restaurant but on the other hand, it is Disney, the happiest place on earth. Even if only a few children per year are taken to that restaurant and thus the ban will not have a big impact, I have mixed feelings about it.

But let me tell you what I found even more strange : in August we (my wife and I and our 2 daughters of 9 & 4) are planning a visit to Disneyland Paris. We wanted to stay in the Castle Club of the Disneylandhotel this time so I checked the rates for a room at the Castle Club and at the same time out of curiosity, I asked what the suite rates are. We got the standard CC room rate no problem. We also got the CC suite room rate, no problem either. What we didn't get is the special themed suite rates. Reason : no children allowed in those suites

I now wonder, are those suites decorated with priceless china ? Or are there orginal Van Gogh paintings on the wall ? ...

Not that we really wanted to book such a themed suite (probably way above our budget) but I think it's strange that they didn't even want to give me the rate because of my kids.

Anyway, although this bad experience, we've now booked a Castle Club Standard suite with parkview for August. If I now can't see the castle from my room, I make my way to the themed suites to break some china

I don't personally care about this rule one way or another.

Of course, I wouldn't want to eat my meal next to a bunch of other people dressed up, it just isn't my thing.

No kids would make it more enjoyable for those who do though...I wonder how many people bring dress clothes on vacation to Disney World anyway?