TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney bans Children at WDW Restaraunt

Disney World Restaurant Bans Children

AP

Posted: 2008-01-05 18:31:00

Filed Under: Nation News, Travel News

ORLANDO, Fla. (Jan. 5) - The home of Mickey Mouse, Tigger and Tinkerbell has banned kids from its fanciest restaurant.

Beginning this week, children under 10 are no longer welcome at Victoria & Albert's in the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Victoria & Albert's is Walt Disney World's only restaurant with an AAA five-diamond rating.

"We want to be the restaurant that's available for that adult experience," said general manager Israel Perez.

Only about three families a month ever brought young children to Victoria & Albert's, said Rosemary Rose, Disney's vice president for food, beverage and merchandise operations.

Men are required to wear jackets, and women must wear dresses or pantsuits. The hushed atmosphere features live harp music, and the menu, which changes daily, offers seven-course dinners that can last as long as three hours. Prices start at $125 a person.

Rose noted that there are plenty of dining options for families at Disney, which World has 97 other full-service restaurants.

I found this on AOL and I do agree with what Disney is doing with this. Tell me what you think about it.

>> Jake

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/disney-world-restaurant-bans-children/20080105162009990001

MOD EDIT: Edited to serve as an actual topic introduction, rather than just a link. Title also edited.

-JM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WDW is first and foremost for families, yes, but they're wise for not forgetting who's actually paying. It seems families were not frequenting that restaurant (3 per month) but Disney felt the need to make it a rule. That's okay by me, excluding the under-10 set should eliminate the screaming, yelling, and crying. No one paying that much for dinner should have to sit thru that. WDW is wise to have something for everyone, including young adults with Pleasure Island. Why would anyone be upset over this, families with screaming kids can dine at ANY other restaurant!

WDW is first and foremost for families, yes, but they're wise for not forgetting who's actually paying. It seems families were not frequenting that restaurant (3 per month) but Disney felt the need to make it a rule. That's okay by me, excluding the under-10 set should eliminate the screaming, yelling, and crying. No one paying that much for dinner should have to sit thru that. WDW is wise to have something for everyone, including young adults with Pleasure Island. Why would anyone be upset over this, families with screaming kids can dine at ANY other restaurant!

Agreed. Good move.

I totally support this. And even though I just spent the past 4 days at WDW with a 10 month old I think they should have more restaurants with this kind of rule.

For example, I think California Grill would be a great example. It's not meant for kids, whereas a place like Ohana's is the complete opposite.

--Robb

I think this is a great thing for Disney to ban kids from classier, fancier restaurants. Why dress up and enjoy an expensive meal with a classy atmosphere with a family (clarify: older families) or a date only to be surrounded by screaming kids? And of course, the restaurant's customers aren't always families with young kids as stated in the article.

In a way, this rule should be endorsed at most fancier places anyways, even outside of Disney.

I agree. They should Enforce this rule at Hook's Pointe at The Disneyland Hotel and maybe The Brown Derby too. If I want to go to a place that starts your bill at 125 bucks a person , then I definitly don't want a bunch of screaming little kids. They already have Palo on one of the Disney Cruise ships, that is adults only. They need more places like this.

Makes total sense. I've been to restaurants where you have to pay an arm and a leg for the food, only to have the atmosphere ruined by some little kids running around playing tag with forks. If I brought someone I really cared about (and payed 125 bucks for it), I wouldn't want that to happen. Good desicion on Disney's behalf, wish they would do it with more restaurants.

---Brent

So yeah, I worked at the Grand Floridian 2 years ago for the disney college program and was very familiar with the restaruant. IMO i believe that this is completely exceptable for this rule to be placed. After touring not only the formal dining room that has a very very quiet dark and intimate feeling as well as a show kitchen for one table, this is not exactly your basic dining experinence. This is more or less a once in a lifetime type formal dining experinance for most unless you fall into the uber rich tax bracket. I know at least when i was working there there was a 3 month waiting list just to get a reservation. Picture you and your wife or finance' or girlfriend spending an intimate dinner togethter and then all of a sudden you hear a winy eight year old at the table next to you mad cause they don't understand why they can't have a pizza instead of this hoity toyty food.

From personal experiance most people that i saw that did go there for an eveing dinner usually got dinner for thier childern downstairs at the Gasparilla Grill and Games which is a Quick service food and Bev. Had their kids stay with the babysitting service at the resort and then went to dinner at V and A's. I think the media is gonna make a big deal out of a non-issue. just my 2 cents

I love this!! I tend to like most of my friends' kids, but strangers' kids I have really low tolerance with, and as stupid as it sounds, even at Disney I'm not a huge fan of being surrounded by them! I love seeing their little faces light up when they meet Mickey, and as long as their parents actually have parenting skills, being around them in the parks is generally fine, but if I was spending a week or even three or four days at a Disney resort I would totally appreciate being able to have a meal in a safe haven which is completely child-free.

Having said that though, as others have mentioned, there are other restaurants in all the resorts where there are very few kids just because the menu and atmosphere doesn't cater to them. I don't remember seeing any kids in the Blue Bayou when I was in California, or in either of the more upmarket restaurants I ate at in Tokyo's Resort. Who has children who eat Shrimp Gumbo or a Monte Cristo in that big a portion?!

Way to go Disney, they might just have confirmed my reservation when I get back there in.... ten years.

AOL also posted a poll asking if 1) you agreed with Disney's decision and 2) would you take your child to a $120 a plate restaurant? Most people said "yes" to both.

I know I wouldn't like my nice formal dinner interrupted by some kid screaming for chicken tenders and ketchup.

[1] Do I support Disney on this? ABSOLUTELY! Disney is quite often visited by people without kids, by adults on romantic getaways, by older people who have done the "kid thing", thank you, and they like a break from the noise.

[2] Do I wish that MOST upscale restaurants (even outside Disney) adopt this rule? ABSOLUTELY! Kids under 10 (I'd up it to 18) have no business in the sort of place that costs $100+ per person and features live harp music.

[3] Would I eat there? I would certainly eat there just to support their decision. However, since I read in a previous post that there's a 3 month reservation list, I don't appear to need to spend my money there to keep them in business. I'll instead just post my "BRAVO!!!" and eat someplace cheaper.

I really have no predisposition to an opinion on the matter, as I'm neither old enough to have kids nor know the problems kids pose at restaraunts; but in my experience with dealing with children in other areas of life I think this is a good decision.

My only question now is what do parents who want a formal dinner do with their children? Will they set up some kind of Daycare dinner area for kids? I'm thinking a Ratatouille themed bistro or something...

^I'm sure there are plenty of other nice restaurants to go to with kids while at WDW, but then again, what average family goes to a restaurant where it is $150+ a person?

I believe Disney made a good decision because:

1. I doubt many kids even eat at this restaurant

2. What family would take their kids to such a formal restaurant...while on vacation

3. I'm pretty sure those that eat hear don't want to hear some random eight year old complain they have nothing to eat.

As for the "child discrimination" lawsuit, I give it until the end of June for it to happen.

I say good! Nobody wants to have their expensive dining experience ruined by a bunch of screaming, messy kids running around. Disney is all about kids but it is nice to see that they realize that the adults that bring the kids, which are the ones that are paying, have a place of their own away from "children hell" that is void of kids. Taking trips with your kids is great, but sometimes on the trip you need some time away from the them and this is a great place for that.

This seems more of a common sense thing to me. Unless you're very well off, most vacationing families with little kids aren't going to go to the really high dollar restaurant anyway, particularly if it's 4 or 5 stars and requires a jacket. That's why there are various types and price levels of eateries to go to.

The last time our family went, I think the Brown Derby at MGM Studios was the most expensive place we ate at and I don't remember seeing any little kids in there.

It is a downer when you and your date/spouse/smizmar are dressed up for a nice dinner, and it's anything but.

Humorously, I seem to be a little kid magnet. Movies, dinner, plane, whatever, the unhappy youngsters always end up right next to me. It's become a classic family joke, and even my skeptical girlfriend is a believer.

One thing's for sure, If I do see little kids in a really nice restaurant, I'm asking them which fork or spoon does what, because it's a good bet they know, and I'm more than a bit rusty.

No gripes here. I don't even feel like I have any business in a restaurant of that caliber at the age of 19, let alone 10 and under. I'd feel completely out of place, so I can only imagine how a kid would feel in there.

The only types of people I can see bringing their kids into that fancy of a restaurant anyway are the same type of people who carry their expensive little dogs around in their purses.

I think this new rule suits this restaurant. I'm glad they didn't ban teenagers too. I think 11 and up is the way to go for this place because like astat said I think kids would feel out of place. I know as much as I like these rare kind of places/events I am always so nerves because I never get to experience it the "right way"

I don't remember seeing any kids in the Blue Bayou when I was in California,

Really? I seem to remember a young brat making a face in the back of an otherwise nice photo of your group.

Pests. No respect for fine dining.

It is in that spirit that I agree with this, fully.

-Jahan

I'd say that the Blue Bayou is on a much different level then Victoria & Albert's. One is a theme park restaurant the other is a luxary restaurant ment for the upper class. So I say kids are totally ok for the Blue Bayou and one day when I have kids I would love to take them there.