TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park in Oakland? Fo shizzle...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the guys putting the $ into this have a good amount of startup cash i'm sure, but I just hope they don't pull in the wrong crowd. They better make sure they price accordingly.

I like the idea. Maybe they'll pull in BET and get some good marketing for the park if they can pull it off.

"Hated it!"

umm...okay

The concept is okay, but they just have to make sure they market correctly. I'd be nice to see some coasters with some ethnic names. If they named a coaster "Magic" and it was themed to Magic Johnson and the Lakers, that itself could even be a hit.

anything's possible with the right amount of money and a large parcel of land. Apparently they have both, so with good management, it just may turn out nicely.

The article said that no thrill-type rides would be there, but I really can't imagine this concept taking off with visitors without at least one or two appealing thrill-type rides. They don't have to be major thrills, just something that will entice people to go. I think trying to make it like Disneyland in Oakland might not be the best idea, but I'm all for it. It might change our image a bit.

They can have attractions like the Matterhizzle, Grand Theft Autopia, Big Murder Mountain, and It's My Baby After All...

Justin

-- who actually really likes this idea from the Wayans, and hopes it takes off

At least they didn't pick the absolute worst place in the entire bay area traffic wise for a themepark. :shock:

Although I would love to meet Homie the Clown. How fresh would that be!?

^^^Love the "Men on Film" reference!

Jeezus "Two snaps, a twist, and a kiss!" Juice

Barry H, Oakland has quite a bit going for it, actually. If this park opens up, it will join the Oakland A's, the Chabot Space and Science Center, the newly remodeled and revamped Oakland Zoo (complete with kiddie coaster), the Oakland Museum, and the number of crack houses and gangsta ghettos as a marquee attraction for the city.

People always think of Oakland as just a bunch of ghettos, but if you actually take the time to explore you'd find my neighborhood and the surrounding areas near the lake to be awesome for families and young people. The Piedmont and Montclair areas are really nice and very expensive to live, and Rockridge and the College Ave. areas near Berkeley are really nice too. There is a lot of potential for this to be a big hit for the city.

Now if only we could get a new mayor in City Hall, one that would help the A's build their new stadium... 8)

Thanks! It's Dark Phoenix from the X-men comics. As you can tell i'm a comics fan

You're welcome. I figured it was Dark Phoenix when I saw what you wrote in your sig. Hopefully they pull off X3 good enough to not piss off the fans. I'm already bummed that Alan Cumming isn't coming back to play Nightcrawler.

Back on topic, I haven't heard any more about this project since that story first ran in the Chronicle. Odds are this won't get off the ground. Too bad too, I'd love to have an awesome theme park right in my backyard.

Justin

I wonder if they will use themes from their films and tv shows.

I.E Car Stripping from I'm gonna git you sucker to rival GM Test Track and instead of Mr Potatoe Head they could have the Head Detective from In Living Colour...

Well, I eat my own words from yesterday. I saw on the news this morning that the Wayans are taking this plan in front of the Oakland City Council. So it sounds like they are pretty serious about this.

Let's cross our fingers and hope this works out, only so we can see a Fire Marshall Bill ride...

• 7 months later...