TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds New Ride Names

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread got me thinking. In 1999 I was the creative director over Paramount's Carowinds and the Top Gun project. I knew I had somewhere in my endless files a list of names that the Marketing department and the design team put together before the TOP GUN name was decided on. I don't know how we could've overlooked such a great name like FLIGHT DECK

Anyways here is the list....

Whoa, although I'm not sure if you're allowed to answer, wasn't Top Gun at Carowinds originally going to be themed after the 1998 Godzilla remake that tanked at the box office?

Yes there was a design intent program that would have allowed the ride to be themed after the Godzilla movie. Corporate was really pushing for it but the park never really bought into it. I always felt that Carowinds knew all along that the ride was going to be named Top Gun, but they kind of went thru the motions to satisfy the movie studio. After the movie was a box office bomb, Top Gun was a shoe in....Here is another interesting fact, Invertigo at PGA (CGA) was supposed to be themed after the movie "the Hunt For Red Oktober with a naval submarine theme.

• 2 weeks later...

^No logo could possibly make up for a name as sh*tty as Flight Deck.

Carowinds is Afterburn, All the others are still Top Gun. I will never accept a name this terrible, just like I refuse to call Drop Zone Drop Tower.

Anyways, cool logo Carowinds. Hopefully, the Afterburn Merchandise will all be sold out and all the Flight Deck merchandiese still on the shelves collecting dust. That way Cedar Fair will FINALLY realize how horrible a name Flight Deck is.

"The Top Gun coasters at Carrowinds and CGA will now be know as Twisty-Turny-Flippy-Thingys"...that name is just as good as Flight Deck. Yeah, really terrible name choice. I guess it could have been much worse which also could have somehow been better than this. Briefly on the CGA website it was first listed as flight deck (so worthless I wont even bother to capitalize it anymore), then it was changed to Afterburn...much better. Aparently it was a "mistake" on their part and now its back to fd. Too bad, they were so close. Did anyone notice if that had also happened on the Carrowinds site? Somebody is trying to tell them how bad fd really is.

^Sorry maybe I wasnt clear. First it was flight deck. Then it was briefly changed to Afterburn. Once CF realized they made a mistake they changed it back to flight deck, unfortunately. By the way, why did they name the one at Carowinds Top Gun: the jet coaster and not just Top Gun?

Flight Deck. It could be worse, though. they could have called it "The Mighty Dangly" or something less dignified. I always thought Willard's Whizzer at Marriott's was a bad name when I was a kid..and when I grew up (figuratively speaking) one of the more Freudian names for a ride.

I always thought Willard's Whizzer at Marriott's was a bad name when I was a kid..and when I grew up (figuratively speaking) one of the more Freudian names for a ride.

You do know why it was called Willard's Whizzer don't you??? It was named after the founder of the Marriott Corporation, J.Willard Marriott.

In the beginning, Carowinds came out with a kick coaster.

They called it TOP GUN and everybody !!!

Then Cedar Fair came along and changed the name to FLIGHT DECK and everybody or or .

Cedar Point, seeing the error of their ways, rename it AFTERBURNER and everybody was again!!!

"Hey, I loved the name Flight Deck."

"So you admit that you like anything that's lame?

"Aww. . . kiss my !!!"