TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds New Ride Names

^ Thanks for the corrections, it makes sense the logo would stay in the CF chain...I guess I just mixed up the hooded mascots. And that's what I get for verifying info by checking Wikipedia: "The name was quickly changed when the Cedar Point realized the full negative connotations of the word 'banshee'...". I trust you over them (not being sarcastic either).

It will take a long time for ppl to stop calling them by their old name. Hell, everyone I know at least 5 yrs old around southern Ohio still calls KI's "Fairly Odd Coaster" by its PROPER name "Beastie"--and that's a much smaller ride going into its third season with the different name.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still hoping that PCW will adopt "Maplehawk" as the name for SOMETHING, and they also have a Top Gun... COME ON. IT'S A PERFECT FIT. It's certainly better than "Flight Deck".

"GET READY FOR YOUR LAUNCH... ON THE FLIGHT DECK"

Puh-leez.

I doubt their removing much of the aircraft look, but with that, they could have come up with about a hundred flight-related names.

For Example:

• Afterburner

• Mach-10

• Silver Streak

• Iron Eagle

Just to name a few.

Come on Cedar Fair, your better than that.

I agree with this, and most posters on here. Here's a list of military aircraft nicknames. Two minutes on google, and you too can be smarter than a Cedar Fair creative team member. But hey, I guess when your trash cans outnumber your creative brain cells, you're facing a constant uphill battle.

A/C Official Nickname

------ -----------------

A-1 Skyraider

A-3D, EA-3B Skywarrior

A-4 Skyhawk

A-6 Intruder

A-7 Corsair II

A-10 Thunderbolt II

A-37 Dragonfly*

B-1 Lancer

B-2 Spirit

B-36 Peacemaker

B-52 Stratofortress

C-1 Trader

C-2 Greyhound

C-5 Galaxy

C-17 Globemaster III

C-124 Globemaster II

C-130 Hercules

C-141 Starlifter

E-1 Tracer

E-2 Hawkeye

E-3 Sentry, AWACS

EA-6B Prowler

EC-130H Hercules*

EC-130E Commando Solo

EF-111 Raven

ES-3 Shadow

F-100 Super Sabre

F-101 Voodoo

F-102 Delta Dagger

F-104 Starfighter

F-105 Thunderchief

F-106 Delta Dart

FB-111 (None)

F-117 Nighthawk

F-4 Phantom II

F-5A, B Freedom Fighter,

F-5C, E, F Tiger II

F-8 Crusader

F-14 Tomcat

F-15A/C Eagle

F-15E Strike Eagle

F-16 Fighting Falcon

F/A-18 Hornet

F-22 Rapier (Tom Clancy)

KC-135 Stratotanker

KC-10 Extender

O-2 Skymaster

OA-37 ?

OV-10 Bronco

S-2 Tracker

S-3, S-3B Viking

SR-71 ( None)

T-37 ?

T-38 Talon

My nominations would've been: Tomcat (duh), or Hornet, and of course Maplehawk.

I actually don't mind NightHawk , Flight Deck though...crying out loud. Sheesh, I use to be part of the Top Gun crew for 07, that name offends me. I am of rehire status so hey, who knows you may see me back there for 08 though I will proberably be at a different ride.

Also for the one who said "They could have just called it "The Jet Coaster" but we'd look like the Japanese when it comes to ride naming then wouldn't we lol.

Also the one who says NigthHawk should be painted different..What about a dark red or even Carolina blue spine with black track? I mean Nighthawk also was a batman character derived from a robin that changed later in the series. He was blue and black. It would look cool. Though I feel with the logo it would be a photoshopped firehawk logo with green instead of red, it may look cool.

I believe you're thinking of Nightwing there as to my knowledge there's no Nighthawk character in the batman series & that's how SFNE got the name for it's flying enterprise after all.

If you go to SFA & look at the character cutouts along the Batwing plaza midway you'll see one for Nightwing with a bluish/gray & yellow color scheme to his outfit.

^ Yes, however none of those rides were originally themed to a movie which prominantly featured F-14 Tomcats.

They should ugly up the trains and dub it "Warthog"--the nickname of those tank-killing planes.

This sucks, and I was actually thinking about working there this next year. . I will never stop calling Flight Deck Top Gun. I do sort of like NightHawk though. That poor coaster must have identity problems now, this is the third name it's had. Hey maybe now Borg will get its much needed paint job.

Im willing to bet that borg will not get a paint job, because one of the reasons that they probably chose nighthawk instead of firehawk again is so that they could keep the original black and green colors eventhough there is almost more red that green showing in areas.

For Nighthawk, its a decent name, not overly great, but not bad either. As people have stated, CF does use -hawk a little too much, but ill call it Nighthawk over Borg.

Flight deck? I will NEVER call it flight deck, to anyone... It will always be top gun to me, at least until they give this coaster a name thats at least decent and not a shameful name like flight deck. Even some names people have posted on this thread are a whole lot better than flight deck. These names dont even need a major theme change at all either, just signs changed, the same as flight deck will, but they would be so much better.

I just can't understand why they didn't use Cockpit as the new TG name.

Nighthawk sounds like a bad 80's band. Well, they could replace the Borg Ball with a big can of hairspray...and laser beams. Hmm...and you are on your back during parts of the ride, which would echo the tour groupie experience...

(starts looking in closet for red leather pants and "Screamin for Vengence" t-shirt)

^ Yes, however none of those rides were originally themed to a movie which prominantly featured F-14 Tomcats.

They should ugly up the trains and dub it "Warthog"--the nickname of those tank-killing planes.

My boyfriend was a fighter pilot. They used to call the A7-Corsair a "SLUF"

It stood for "Short Little Ugly F**ker"

Probably wouldn't work for the coaster, though.

Maybe they'll reserve the good ride names for renaming Paramount attractions at Canada's Wonderland or CGA? Like sensible names such as Afterburner will go to Top Gun at CGA or CW.

But, that's probably just wishful thinking.

Seriously, why is this such a big deal to you? No one's life is at stake, the only things we're losing are a couple of names (that took even less creativity, actually, if you think about it), and the rides themselves aren't changing.

They're effing names, people. I don't care if you don't like them, this doesn't deserve eight pages of whining and bashing. In fact, there are exactly two people in this thread who have yet to make a big deal about it.

Yeah, they're absolutely not the best names ever, but neither are Voyage, Scream, or Texas Giant. And then you've got the myriad names that came from television shows or movies, which required absolutely no creativity whatsoever.

Personally, I don't mind the names themselves, but I really couldn't care less.