TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Influential Coaster Designers

This one's for the true coaster geeks. What are the top 5 most influential designers in coaster history (or even recent coaster history, 30 or 40 years)?

I'll admit up front that my knowledge of the people behind the most popular coasters may be a bit shallow, but here's my top 5 in no particular order:

Werner Stengel

Anton Schwarzkopf

Walter Bolliger

Claude Mabillard

Ron Toomer

I apologize in advance to the woodie fans out there. I just don't know any wooden designers that made a real big impact. I'm willing to learn though. What do you guys think?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Anton Schwarzkopf

2.John Wardley

3.Werner Stengel

4.William Cobb

5.Claude Bolliger & Walter Mabbilard

Schwarzkopf because he really combined the old ruthless intensity of coasters and combined them with the newer coasters.

Wardley because he really emphasizes of fear. He really seems to have his rides rely on emotions. Case and point, Oblivion. If that ride were bare, with no scenery and no effects, it wouldn't really be an intense ride at all. But the way he pushes every button that makes us tick is incredibly effective.

Stengel because he simply pushed the envelope of coaster design.

Cobb because he (IMO) went back to the roots of coasters. And came up with woodies that embrace the old side of coasters.

And B&M because they pioneered revolutionary coasters, that embrace new amazing ideas, but also did them incredibly smoothly.

1. Anton Schwarzkopf- perfected the modern loop

2. Werner Stengel- Pushed coaster limits

3. Captain Morgan- designed anti-rollbacks and the locking lap bar

4. Ron Toomer- Though he made some rough coaster, he brought us the corkscrew, tubular steel track, boomerang, cutback, 4-D coasters, Multi-looping coasters, Suspended coasters, and even the pioneer Stand-Up coasters

5. John Allen- made many significant contributions to roller coaster technology and designed some great wooden coasters

[1] Ron Toomer - since you're only going back 40 yrs, leaving out John Miller and Harry Traver in the process, the most influential person has to be Toomer. The success of using tubular steel track is the single reason that we have the steelies we have now. Without that, none of the rest would've happened. Add to that the suspended coaster, the mine train, corkscrews, etc... yeah, like him or not, Toomer is the guy.

[2] Bolliger and Mabillard - rather than trying to go higher and faster for thrills, they engineered new ways for us to ride. The invention of the inverted coaster will be the thing they're most remembered for, but the heavy use of heartlining and ridiculously exact engineering on their rides caused riders all over the world to expect not only thrills, but comfort.

[3] Warner Stengel - his coasters not only push the envelope of thrills, but they are as beautiful to look at as they are fun to ride. Graceful, elegant, and sexy.

[4] Bill Cobb - when Astroworld was unable to move the Coney Cyclone to Houston, Bill Cobb cloned it... with improvements. It was for that time a radical idea to intentionally copy a wood coaster design, but for many years, his Texas Cyclone was the undisputed #1 coaster on earth. Only Six Flags neutering could tame it.

[5] Dick Knoebel - while not really a coaster designer, he deserves to be on this list. He had the crazy idea to dismantle a SBNO coaster in San Antonio, truck it to Pennsylvania, and reassemble it. Everyone thought he was nuts, but he's got the last laugh. Not only is his Phoenix a fantastic ride, but his example quite possibly saved some coasters from the wrecking ball by proving that a small park could get a world-class coaster for a fraction of a new one by saving one that had closed. It was a paradigm shift in the thinking of an industry, and for that he should be included here.

Influence is nebulous. I'll go with the greatest coaster designer of the last 30 years. Based on the quality of his projects it's Werner Stengel. He played a key role in many of the successful projects of Schwarzkopf, Intamin, and B&M.

His innovations include:

-Clothoid vertical loop

-Heartlining

-Early launch systems

Some of his firm's projects include:

Maverick

El Toro

Speed: No Limits

Storm Runner

Balder

Goliath @ Walibi World

Xcelerator

Expedition GeForce

Katun

Millennium Force

Superman - Ride of Steel @ SFNE, Darien Lake, and SFA

Dueling Dragons

Montu

Kumba

Nemesis

Pyrenees

If you look at Mitch's Steel Poll for 2006, Stengel's firm was involved in all of the top 5, and 7 of the top 10.

Miller

Toomer

Traver

Stengel

Allen

The subject was designers of the last 30-40 years.

Both Traver and Miller (who would absolutely be included on any list of the most influential designers of all time) died before the 1968 cutoff period of this thread.

Wanna pick two more?

Well, crap. Sorry, hyyyper - I was going by the subheading of this post that asked about the last 30 years, and the first post which said 30-40 years, but upon re-reading it, I see that he really didn't know what he wanted. The way it's worded, you could also include designers farther back than then.

My bad.

Well, that upsets my list, too.

I had toomer, B&M, Stengel, Cobb, and Knoebel on my list.

If we're going back farther, that changes everything.

[1] LaMarcus Thompson - his Switchback Railway was the father of the modern coaster. 'nuff said.

[2] John Miller - his inventions made safe, fast, and wicked layouts possible

[3] Harry Traver - pushed the envelope of what a coaster could do. His design influence is still seen today

[4] Ron Toomer - steel coasters wouldn't be what they are today without his tubular steel track and inversion design

[5] B&M - changed the way we think about how a person rides a coaster - upped the bar on smoothness and reliability

Wasnt it Karl Bacon who invented the tubular steel track??

Yep, it was Ed Morgan and Karl Bacon who are credited for the design of the Matterhorn Bobsleds. They were the two founders of Arrow. But there is some conspiracy theory out there that says there was another tubular steel coaster in France that was operating before the Matterhorn was...

But my top 5 would have to be:

1) Werner Stengel - Most of his coasters are exciting, intense, and just plain fun. He really perfected the heartline design and a ton of inversions.

2) Ron Toomer - His coasters may be bumpy but he created many inversions and his designs were crazy at the time.

3) Anton Schwarzkopf - One word: Loop.

4) John Wardley - Like someone stated before, he seemed to make a mediocre ride into a great one just by placement and theme. Nemesis is probably the best coaster he ever created and it feeds off of its theme.

5) B&M - So they are fabricators, but their track design is so smooth and precise that they deserve to be in the top five greats.

1. Ron Toomer: If he wasn't around steel coasters may not exist...

Steel coasters existed before Arrow. Arrow's innovation was using steel tubes. And they did this before they hired Ron Toomer.

Sorry, I was In a Hurry, I had to purchase a 24 hour block of internet from the hotel we are staying at currently, and it was in its last five minutes of acceptable usage, as well as leaning toward the thought of the steel coasters we know and love today.

Here’s my shot.

Each designer has brought great ideas, some worked, some where awesome in concept.

#1. Mother Nature and frozen precipitation with hilly landscapes.

#2. John Allen / John Miller / Lamarcus Thompson

It's really hard to rate these guys.

#3. Werner Stengel (Tied with) Anton Schwarzkopf

?? Didn’t Werner work exclusively with Anton in the early days?

I don’t think any other designers could truly claim so much useful accomplishments in sense other then maybe John Allen, especially during those early years.

Current day coasters seem to be more improvements of rather then pioneering. Some exceptions but most are still based on the play books of the classic designers aided by modern technology. Whatever happened to the good ol days of if the doll makes it back to the station with a head it's safe.

Didn’t Werner work exclusively with Anton in the early days?

Yes, he did. And Anton got very angry when Werner told him about he was to end this exclusively relationship

Oh, and Stengel invented the modern vertical loop, Schwarzkopf just built it. It was one of these exclusively projects.

Greetings

schrubber

In the past 30 years or so, I don't think anyone has been as prolific as Werner Stengel. Ron Toomer designed some ground breaking coasters, but I think Arrow as a whole deserves the credit.

No, I think the coat hangers deserve the credit.

• 2 weeks later...

1. LaMarcus Thompson, I hope your watching over us. You are the man when it comes to roller coasters! thanks for making popular with the Switchback Railway!

2. Warner Stengal, With pre-fab wooden coasters and his work with all the early and modern launch systems out there.

3. The men known as B&M! They great, with the invention of the Inverted steel coaster and the floorless roller coaster! Thanks guys!

4. Ron Toomer, we may all give his rides crap but I'll thank him for Magnum and Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood. Love those rides the most, besides the old corkscrew coasters!!

5. John Allen, the inventor of the upstop wheels for all Roller Coasters we couldn't go this far without Allen's contributions to the cause!

these 5 are my picks!

Here are a few from the Pittsburgh area.

John A Miller- Jackrabbit, Thunderbolt (Pippin) in Kennnywood, used the natural terrain of the park.

Edward Vettel- Blue Streak (SBNO) Conneaut Lake Park, simple but thrilling.

Andy Vettel- Thunderbolt- Kennywood. The greatest old wooden coaster in the world.

Harry Travor- Not just for coasters, but flat rides like the Tumble Bug. The last one is at Kennywood.

These are just a few I know.

• 5 years later...

Here is another bump, as of late I have to say Alan Schilke. Here is a list from Wikipedia of the attractions he as worked on.

An impressive list to say the least.

As an employee of Arrow Dynamics

Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood

X at Six Flags Magic Mountain

As an employee of S&S Arrow/S&S Worldwide

Timberhawk: Ride of Prey at Wild Waves Theme Park

Falken at Fårup sommerland

Hellcat at Timber Falls Adventure Park

Hell Cat at Clementon Amusement Park

Eejanaika at Fuji-Q Highland

Steel Hawg at Indiana Beach

As an employee of Ride Centerline

New Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas

Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City

Iron Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Goliath at Six Flags Great America

Medusa Steel Coaster at Six Flags Mexico

Polercoaster

Here is another bump, as of late I have to say Alan Schilke. Here is a list from Wikipedia of the attractions he as worked on.

An impressive list to say the least.

As an employee of Arrow Dynamics

Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood

X at Six Flags Magic Mountain

As an employee of S&S Arrow/S&S Worldwide

Timberhawk: Ride of Prey at Wild Waves Theme Park

Falken at Fårup sommerland

Hellcat at Timber Falls Adventure Park

Hell Cat at Clementon Amusement Park

Eejanaika at Fuji-Q Highland

Steel Hawg at Indiana Beach

As an employee of Ride Centerline

New Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas

Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City

Iron Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Goliath at Six Flags Great America

Medusa Steel Coaster at Six Flags Mexico

Polercoaster

I have to agree with you here on this, Alan Schilke is a pure mastermind of bending/breaking the rules of traditional coasters. He just keeps pushing the envelope till it'll eventually burst.