TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wooden coaster destroyed in Smokey & The Bandit 2

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roller Coaster: Greyhound

Amusement Park: Lakewood Fairgrounds (Atlanta, Georgia 30315 USA)

Classification: Roller Coaster

Type: Wood - Sit Down

Designer: John A. Miller

The Greyhound was seen in all three "'Smokey and the Bandit" movies staring Burt Reynolds and Sally Field. It had been standing but not operating for a while before filming so the roller coaster was repainted for the movie. It was seen just in the background in part 1. In the second movie it was destroyed. The 3rd Bandit movie had flashbacks that contained the roller coaster.

http://www.rcdb.com/id1965.htm

I can't remember where I read this, but someone asked this question about a year ago at another board (I think). Another person who had ridden the Greyhound before it went SBNO said that it was an OK coaster, just not anything special. I think they also commented on how little airtime it had for an older woodie... It's destruction was no great loss seemed to be the essence of the ride's review...

And I'm hesitant to post this but I can't resist. There's a web site called AtlantaTimeMachine.com that takes old photos of sites around Atlanta and then recreates the photo from the same angle as the site exists today or at least very recently. They also did a now-and-then of location sites from "Smokey and the Bandit", seen here - http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/smokey/thumbnails.htm ...

Scroll all the way down and there are two photos with partial glimpses of Greyhound and of how the site looks today. Enjoy.

^ If they did it in 1929, I'm sure it was done in 1973.]

I highly doubt all of that video is real. Sync sound film cameras back then were the size of refrigerators. Remember that the first sync sound 35mm film was in 1927 (16mm didn't get sound until the late 50s). I think the sound must have been added at a much later date, or the film itself is not as old as it claims.

^ I didn't say the sound was real - I didn't even realize it *had* sound, but being that in every one of the videos he uploaded, the sounds are the same - I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say they're added in later. As for the POV, I'm certain it's 100% real. Some of the coasters he's got footage of haven't existed or many, many years so, filming at a later date is out of the question.

I'm pretty sure he's just taking old silent footage and dubbing sound to it:

I actually met the son of the owner of this coaster. While working this past week on the Thunderhead, I had to do a ride-around. The guest that I rode with was a first time visitor to Dollywood. He proceeded to tell me that his father had owned a wooden coaster and that it was the one used it Smokey and the Bandit 2.