TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark Trip tips?

My Student Council is planning a trip to Washington D.C. and HersheyPark the last weekend in May. I think we're going to Hershey on the 31st(ugh! Memorial Day!) and I've never been there before. I want to ride SooperDooperLooper first, because, if my logic is correct, everybody will rush to Farenheit and forget about SDL. That's all i Know about the park. Any tips?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably right about everyone going to Fahrenheit first, but Sooperdooperlooper never gets a line longer than like 10 minutes, so you shouldn't worry about that. Comet's line usually fills up pretty quick and it stays long for most of the day (never did figure out why though), so if you are planning to ride that, do so early. Great Bear's line usually gets longer throughout the day, so try to get there early, plus theres a couple flat rides (Flying Falcon, Coal Cracker)up in that area. Same thing with Storm Runner. The Sidewinder is right next to it, but if you have already been on a Vekoma Boomerang, you might as well skip it. Also, Hersheypark is laid out pretty randomly IMO, I've been there about 7 or 8 times and theres still walkways that i have not been on. Anyways, Lighting Racer and Wildcats lines can get fairly long over the course of the day, so make sure to ride those. Thats all the advice I've got.

Wenever we go (though we've never gone on Memorial Day), we start in the back and work our way up. Everyone seems to hit Comet first because it's right at the front of the park, but that line doesn't really die down. So, in order, we hit:

-Storm Runner

-Sidewinder

-Wildcat

-Lightning Racer

-Great Bear

-SooperDooperLooper

-Comet

That plan always works for us. We ride everything once in around 2-3 hours (depends on how many people are there) and then go back for more rounds on the bigger coasters. Fahrenheit should probably get thrown in before Storm Runner, because I'm sure (especially on a weekend like Memorial Day) people are going to be all over it.

Hopefully that plan helps and works!

Idk. I'd head right to Fehrenheit when you get there because if you get in line and you need to leave the park early, then that would suck. I'd then also ride SR to get them out of the way.

Just to warn you. I wouldn't go for the first seat on GB unless you'd be willing to wait an extra 10-15 mins.

Well, here's some good news: While the 31st is on the last weekend in May, you won't be going on Memorial Day Weekend. Because the last Monday in May falls before the last weekend in May, Memorial Day Weekend actually is the second-to-last weekend in May next year.

My advice: Be sure to ride the chocolate factory ride. It's the only attraction in the world that gives you free chocolate at the end!

You're probably right about everyone going to Fahrenheit first, but Sooperdooperlooper never gets a line longer than like 10 minutes, so you shouldn't worry about that. Comet's line usually fills up pretty quick and it stays long for most of the day (never did figure out why though), so if you are planning to ride that, do so early. Great Bear's line usually gets longer throughout the day, so try to get there early, plus theres a couple flat rides (Flying Falcon, Coal Cracker)up in that area. Same thing with Storm Runner. The Sidewinder is right next to it, but if you have already been on a Vekoma Boomerang, you might as well skip it. Also, Hersheypark is laid out pretty randomly IMO, I've been there about 7 or 8 times and theres still walkways that i have not been on. Anyways, Lighting Racer and Wildcats lines can get fairly long over the course of the day, so make sure to ride those. Thats all the advice I've got.

Lightning Racer? Wild Cat? Long lines? What the heck are you talking about? Sure, once Wildcat got a 30 minute wait a while ago, but that's nothing. (Maybe I just go on good days.) Lightning Racer never had a line more than 5 minutes whenever I went. (The end of June/early July seems like a GREAT time for parks.) IMO, Boomerangs are fun. Besides, they are the only things that you can comonly find that pull 5.2 G's. Comet is reccommended to ride first, which then you should only get lines at about 20 minutes. I have never tried this before, but I suggest to possibly try something different - start at the opposite end of the park (Lightning Racer) and see what happens - going to the opposite end of the park. Plus, going on rides in the mid afternoon is usually a good idea because people tend to either eat lunch or go to the waterpark. But whenever I go, the lines are pretty short, so it really doesn't matter for myself.

Not including Fahreinheit, the 3 coasters I find to have the worst capacity are Roller Soaker, Wild Mouse and Great Bear. If you want to ride "every coaster" you'll have to get Roller Soaker out of the way early (if it is even open that early in the season). Also, riding Roller Soaker first allows you to ride it before people line-up to get the riders wet with water cannons and plungers.

The coasters whose lines tend to be shortest and move quickly are Lightning Racer and SDL, so you don't need to rush to ride either.

Here's a "Guide To The Midway" I did over at Atari: www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591480&highlight=guide+midway It's a bit old(from last summer) but it still works.Maybe hit Farenheit first then follow that guide.Trust me,I've been going to Hershey every year at least twice since I was born and I know how to hit that park perfectly.

Well, here's some good news: While the 31st is on the last weekend in May, you won't be going on Memorial Day Weekend. Because the last Monday in May falls before the last weekend in May, Memorial Day Weekend actually is the second-to-last weekend in May next year.

My advice: Be sure to ride the chocolate factory ride. It's the only attraction in the world that gives you free chocolate at the end!

I never thought of that! Thanks! The lines might be long, though. I'm going to hit up SDL or Comet first, depends on which line is longer.

I go to the park every year at least once and I would say this is the best way to go about doing it.

Storm Runner

Sidewinder

Wildcat

Wild Mouse

Lightning Racer

Trail Blazer

Lunch

Great Bear

SooperDooperLooper

Comet

Then you can go hit Fahrenheit because the lines won't be getting much longer and it should only be about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. If you follow this you can be done all the way up to Lightning Racer by about 11-11:30. Make sure you arrive at the park at opening and you RUN to Storm Runner. I'm usually one of the first trains out of the day and I can get a second ride in within 5 minutes. Also, make sure you hit up the chocolate factory during the day.

Wenever we go (though we've never gone on Memorial Day), we start in the back and work our way up. Everyone seems to hit Comet first because it's right at the front of the park, but that line doesn't really die down. So, in order, we hit:

-Storm Runner

-Sidewinder

-Wildcat

-Lightning Racer

-Great Bear

-SooperDooperLooper

-Comet

That plan always works for us. We ride everything once in around 2-3 hours (depends on how many people are there) and then go back for more rounds on the bigger coasters. Fahrenheit should probably get thrown in before Storm Runner, because I'm sure (especially on a weekend like Memorial Day) people are going to be all over it.

Hopefully that plan helps and works!

He's got it down. From my experience, Comet gets a huge line early in the day, due to it's position at the front of the park. Lightning Racer (and Wildcat to a degree) rarely gets a very long line, especially early in the day, and Storm Runner's line is variable, but generally gets less as the day goes on. Sidewinder has a surprisingly long line at all points of the day, so if you don't care to get your shoulders broken, I'd skip it. SDL doesn't get a line ever, really, and Great Bear doesn't have a specific time. I'd go with the order coasterfreak suggested. Hope this helps. Have fun!

It has the lowest capacity of the 3 wooden coasters. The website lists it at 830 riders an hour but most of those are optimal capacity and seem to be inflated so it's probably around 700 an hour.

That's close to the capacity of Fehrenheit! Wow. Looks like the ride might have a long line next season.

When I waited in line for Comet in September, the line filled 2 switchbacks and it took me around 20 to 30 mins.

I don't think Farenheit will get anywhere close to 850 an hour. I wish Hershey would stop adding low capacity rides like this. A full train has to dispatch once every minute just to get 720 an hour.

Last October, Comet's line was just down the ramp and slightly into the 1st switchback and it was a 15 minute wait with 2 trains running. There is a sign at the entrance that says it's a 30 minute wait with a full queue (not counting overflow queues they add), which of course is a lot longer than 30 minutes.

Comet always has a line and always will. I didn't even bother with it this year cause I didn't feel waiting the full que was worth the ride it delivers.

On a side note. Does anyone know if Fahrenheit will have a separate load and unload station? Cause if it does, that could drastically increase dispatch times.

I found also that Comet had an unusually long line, also a word of warning about Rollersoaker you will get absolutely drenched from head to toe.

Not if you go there first, before other patrons get there to use the cannons and plungers.

• 5 months later...

Hey all of you! i just got back from my trip tonight and am glad to give you a (non-photo) TR!

As soon as we got to Pennsylvania, it started raining. By the time we got to Hershey, it slowed down. It was then announced we had to go to the outlets until 12:00! That dashed my hopes of reaching 25 credits today, so I bumped it down to 20 and had to remove Fahrenheit from my itinerary. At about 12:30, we entered the park. I found my friends and we headed over to Comet Hollow.

CREDIT #16 (First Looping Coaster) SDL. A-. Doesn't get an A since the wait was nearly a HALF HOUR LONG! Got a middle seat. My friends and I All agreed that it was worth it, since of the postitive G's pulled on the loop.

We then headed over to Minetown to hit up the Great Bear, but the line was HUGE, so we rode the Flying Falcon. I'd give that a C+. We then headed over to Midway America.

CREDIT #17 Wildcat. A- Sweet drop, but it gave me a slight headache when I got off. Got the seat behind the front.

CREDIT #18 Lightning Racer. A. We lost, but the ride was AMAZING! Got back seat on the Thunder train. Airtime and laterals galore! A must ride at Hershey. I need to change my sig, I know!

Now we headed over to Pioneer Frontieer.

Credit #19 Sidewinder. D+. ROUGH, ROUGH ROUGH! Couldn't get the Vekoma Seat!

Credit #20 : Trailblazer. B. BORING!

I wanted to ride The Great Bear. but I Didn't have time!

I really enjoyed my day and need to come back soon!

I know how theoretical capacities work, but they are just theories. The line for Fahrenheit went VERY quick. They were dispatching a train every 2-3 minutes, and that was with 2 train operation. I can only imagine what would happen with a 3 train operation.

^Good to see that HP isn't stacking their trains like CP does with Maverick.

I'm going to Hershey Park this weekend, so it's nice to know about expected wait times and such before I get there.

HP is also where I'm going to ride my 50th credit. Any suggestions as to what it should be?

^ I'd say Storm Runner, a decent coaster for your 50th. Unfortunately, mine was Canyon Baster at the Circus Circus Adventuredome in Las Vegas. It's definitely one of the better Arrow's I have been on, but still.

Regarding the stacking on Maverick, you have to put into perspective that, when running that many trains, you are going to have stacking regardless. A train can't go until the one ahead of it clears the tunnel. Every single one of my 5 rides on Maverick (both this year and last), both trains in the station are loaded and checked before the second train clears the tunnel. They can't really go any quicker than that, the system won't allow it.

A tip on the waiting rows : we experienced that while the park was really packed during the day, the park empties out as from 2 hours before closing time. During the last hour we were able to get rides on Great Bear, Stormrunner (3 rides) and the Boomerang.

I don't understand why Comet always has such a long line, but maybe I have just been there on bad days, but when i was there, Comets queue filled up through most of the switchback early, and it never seemed to get smaller during the day.

IMO, it's because of the redundant restraints-- seat divider, seat belt and buzz bar. On at least 90% of the rides, someone gets in and pulls down the bar without fastening the belt, so the ops have to release the bars. Plus it's a major pain trying to find the seat belt that's usually tucked under the seat divider. Most people end up sitting on them so they have to reach underneath themselves to pull the belts up. All this takes time.

They should realize that by the time most of us fat-ass Americans get wedged into those seats, we ain't falling out. Heck, we have enough problems trying to get out of the seats once we get back to the station.