TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Smoking R-rated in Films?

Is smoking in a film R-rated?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is smoking in a film R-rated?

• Yes
    • No

OK I have come across this idea from a show called Attack of the Show. One day on the show they were talking about that some people think that ANY smoking in a film should be R-rated. They say that it is a major cause of kids smoking at a early age.

What do you think?

Myself: I think that it is dumb.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well right now if you smoke in a film it makes it PG13 if I remember so this wouldn't be much of a change. I like the current law and I'm sure the proposal is to keep those under 17 from being influenced but... whatever, they'll see it on the streets and the school bus and all sorts of other places. You can't shelter kids forever at some point they have to make their own choices.

I think this has gone to far, and while the youth of this country are heavily influenced by Hollywood/the media, making any film with smoking R-rated goes too far. Many older movies, someone mentioned 101 Dalmatians, have smoking, and these films are fine with their G/PG rating. I understand some groups want to protect the youth of America, but there are better ways. Some options are to keep up the anti-drug commercials on TV, and have the parents(shock) talk to their kids about smoking.

Pfff....who follows these movie ratings anyway? Who follows the ESRB ratings anyway? Again, as I have always said: let's just put our kids into some sort of bubble to keep 'em from being exposed with the outside/real world and let 'em live in their fantasy world where everything goes right, no one gets hurt, and so on...

Whilst I think R rated is a tad extreme, I think it's a good idea to have smoking in movies a reason for classification.

they'll see it on the streets and the school bus and all sorts of other places

I think kids seeing smoking in the movies has a much different affect to seeing it in the streets because of the fact that most people who are smoking on screen are wearing make up (effects of smoking on body not shown) whereas on the streets, it is much more visible and also you can smell it. This gives teens the wrong story of smoking, and perhaps that smoking doesn't actually do any harm. This is my view of it anyway.

So I think smoking in movies may have quite an influence on teens, however i think R-Rated is a bit extreme.

Smoking in films does not bother me, if someone is so dumb enough to follow a film and start smoking that's their bad luck, nothing will stop them from doing it..

The way to slow down drinking and smoking is to put the cost up to say $20 - $30 a packet and $10 - $20 a pint of lager / ale.

While I am anti-smoking and I think that movies should not glamorise it and make the "cool" people smoke, I think making it R rated may be a bit much. Though it will likely cause filmmakers to remove smoking from their filsm in order to get a better rating. If a film actually gets an R rating it will be from the stubborness of those making it and not the ratings board.

This is so ridiculous. Give me the good old days when there could be smoking and drinking in G rated films. A good example is the 1970 film Airport. In addition to smoking and drinking, many of the male characters cheat on their wives, a pilot played by Dean Martin gets a stewardess (not flight attendant!) pregnant, some slight violence and innuendos and it's rated G!

This is so ridiculous. Give me the good old days when there could be smoking and drinking in G rated films. A good example is the 1970 film Airport. In addition to smoking and drinking, many of the male characters cheat on their wives, a pilot played by Dean Martin gets a stewardess (not flight attendant!) pregnant, some slight violence and innuendos and it's rated G!

Monty Python and Spaceballs were rated around G-PG, respectively. Mostly because of the satirical nature of movies like Airport and MP and the Holy Grail and Spaceballs not rated R. They're not supposed to be soap-opera ridiculous drama, but satirical hilariousness.

I say keep the standards the way they are. Keep the anti-smoking/drug and the "Please drink responsibly" (or any variation thereof) in liquor ads, and eventually the addictions will decline. Upping the prices gradually might work.

I think kids seeing smoking in the movies has a much different affect to seeing it in the streets because of the fact that most people who are smoking on screen are wearing make up (effects of smoking on body not shown) whereas on the streets, it is much more visible and also you can smell it. This gives teens the wrong story of smoking, and perhaps that smoking doesn't actually do any harm. This is my view of it anyway.

The visual affects of smoking isn't really going to affect wether kids start smoking or not. Besides, with the exception of the odd person who has gotten very sick, the affects of smoking aren't all that visible. I know plenty of people who smoke, and you wouldn't know it by looking at them.

The difference between seeing people on the street smoke, and on the screen smoke is that movie stars are role models.

If a kid sees some average guy smoking, there will be next to no impact. But if that same kid sees Spiderman smoking on screen, well then he's going to want to be like his role model.

This is just plain stupid.

Like somebody said, sometimes smoking can show what kind of character someone is. Like the one guy in The Little Mermaid (where Ariel, who can't talk, mistakenly blows the tobacco into the man's face), if that weren't in it, it would totally screw up the point of it being found in the sunken ship. OK, enough of my Little Mermaid rant.

Also like everybody's been saying, you can't totally control what your children are exposed to. Someday their friend will smoke and try to convince them to try it, SO WHAT. If it's totally unfamiliar to them, they'll just be like "Durrr... Okay! That looks like fun!" and not know that it'll slowly kill them.

^I don't know, but the Lake Horse does. "Rated PG for some action/peril, mild language and brief smoking."

also Spaceballs is rated PG EVEN THOUGH they say the s-word, the f-word, and every other "bad word".

All I can say is that THE MPAA IS A RETARDED BUNCH.

that's why I like Canada's ratings......it seems more reasonable...EX:

The Matrix: US: R Canada:14