TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kalahari Sandusky (Spring Break Trip PTR 4/1/08-4/3/08)

Photo Trip Report

Kalahari Sandusky Part 1

Yesterday December 21st Kalahari in Sandusky, Ohio opened its brand new 93,000 sq. ft. expansion. The day before there was a preview and Kalahari invited nearby schools to come spend the day free at their new waterpark.

Here are some articles

Funcoast Article

Sandusky Register Article

There is also a link to a little video of the expansion on Funcoast webpage.

The expansion includes

-Wave pool with eight ocean-like wave settings

-4 lane Extreme mat racer slide

-A SECOND Flowrider

-Basketball pool

-2 Indoor/Outdoor spa w/ Swim Up bar

-Behemoth Bowl slide

-Transparent Roof for indoor tanning

-Family Raft Ride

-Little Kids water Play Area

-New Restaurant

-Body Bowl Slide

-A Huge new mezzaine for sunbathers to bask in those glorious rays

Not to mention the other half of the already huge waterpark!

These photos belong to the Sandusky Register

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kalahari Sandusky Now Americas Largest Waterpark!

This can't possibly be the largest water park in America. Do they mean Largest INDOOR waterpark?

--Robb

Go here and look at the link to the video under the picture. "Kalahari is the largest indoor water park in America..."

Kalahari Sandusky Now Americas Largest Waterpark!

This can't possibly be the largest water park in America. Do they mean Largest INDOOR waterpark?

--Robb

Go here and look at the link to the video under the picture. "Kalahari is the largest indoor water park in America..."

Yes, that makes sense that it would be the largest INDOOR waterpark. I was just asking because when this thread was originally created it just said "Largest Waterpark in America."

I now see the topic title has been changed!

--Robb

your welcome! I actually think I'm going to go up to Sandusky and try it out myself. I'll make sure I put up a Photo TR

That would be sweet! Man, this reminds me of the days living in Centerville and going to KI. Never made it to The Beach, but hope to soon along with Kalahari. Good times, good times...

your welcome! I actually think I'm going to go up to Sandusky and try it out myself. I'll make sure I put up a Photo TR

Oh please do. I am VERY interested in seeing the entire water park! My next project in RCT3 will be an indoor water park, and need some inspiration!

I don't understand why they don't ever make clear waterslides. At least I've never seen one. If they did then people could see others in the slide, and those in the slides would feel like there's nothing around them. That huge funnel slide looks awesome though.

Coming from a lifeguards view, I can see why slides aren't clear:

Cleanliness - With water going over these pieces and people going down constantly, scum lines build up on slides. They are very tough to clean, and in sections with a 45* angle drop or steeper, it can be a challenge without any type of safety system. From a business view, you don't want to be displaying dirty slides.

Aquatica has their clear fiberglass slides and THIS waterslide in Mexico. Both are underwater, where guests can't see (or are distracted) the dirty scum lines

Xxhershey818xX wrote:

Oh please do. I am VERY interested in seeing the entire water park! My next project in RCT3 will be an indoor water park, and need some inspiration!

Glad there's a couple of us interested in more water park PTRs. Granted, it's difficult what with the rules as to where one might take a camera and whether said camera is water proof or won't get destroyed. Still would enjoy seeing Kalahari and any other waterparks if possible.

TwisterII, so you got bit by the same bug, eh? I thought about doing an indoor, but I've got my hands full with other stuff. If you build it, I'd love to see it, as the water park part of RCT3 is really fun.

Xxhershey818xX, you picked a winner and I'm looking forward to your expedition. Hope it's a good trip when the time comes.

Coming from a lifeguards view, I can see why slides aren't clear:

Cleanliness - With water going over these pieces and people going down constantly, scum lines build up on slides. They are very tough to clean, and in sections with a 45* angle drop or steeper, it can be a challenge without any type of safety system. From a business view, you don't want to be displaying dirty slides.

Aquatica has their clear fiberglass slides and THIS waterslide in Mexico. Both are underwater, where guests can't see (or are distracted) the dirty scum lines

I thought that water slide with the temple is at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas?

Thanks everyone. I'm surprised that this many people even bothered to write something on this topic.

I'm completely LOVE water parks. There so much fun and its always a blast when I go with my family. It's also a great way to beat the heat or just to get away from the boring town you live in!

But anyway yea I will for sure put pictures up when I can get them. I think I'm taking a trip to Kalahari in January/Febuary for my birthday! So that should be fun.

Also later in the year, I found out the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium is opening up a new water park called Zoombezi Bay so I will keep you guys posted on that too!

I've got a band trip to Cleaveland in May, and I really wish we were going there, but of course, we've got Cedar Point, playing a concert there, a baseball game, another concert, and a dinner cruise. Overkill much?

What sucks is that people aren't signing up and whining that we aren't going to Disney. If only they knew...

When me and my dad went to Sandusky, I wish we planned to go there, but we spent most of our time at CP.

• 3 months later...

PTR

So I finally got to go to Kalahari and experience thier new expansion. I have to say it's AMAZINMG!!! Like for real it brings a whole no side to the park. Plus its huge! So big. I dont know what to say... but if you are ever near by I say it is something you should think about checking out. Okay onto the PTR!

• 2 weeks later...

PTR

So I finally got to go to Kalahari and experience thier new expansion. I have to say it's AMAZINMG!!! Like for real it brings a whole no side to the park. Plus its huge! So big. I dont know what to say... but if you are ever near by I say it is something you should think about checking out. Okay onto the PTR!

Were so excited!!!

Through the Trees!

OMJ were here!

Me checkin TPR!

What Disney ride does this remind you of?

ZIP COASTER!

WAVE POOL

Oh hey Wes!

WHEEEEEEEEE!!!

Look Wave Pool... ok all together oooooooooo

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

WOW!!!

more Wave Pool

OOOO Cutie!

Your not to bad lookin your self!

OK back to the waterpark

Whoops there it is!

THIS THANG WAS HUGE

Oh to bad Im only 17 =(

Looks nice

Outside

Cool right?

So whats this?

THE FLOWRIDER!!!!

Um yea you can get food here

Zip Coaster

Broken Flowrider =(

SLIDES!!!!!

Gettin ready for Surf Lessons

Me getting ready to surf

Almost there

There I go!

Im almost falling!

AWWWWWWWW ITS CLOSED!

Me sad were leaving =(

Awwwwwwwwww =(

Well Thanks for checking this out! Hope you guys enjoyed my PTR!

I will be adding some more later!