TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Vekoma Flyer in China 2008

Looks like something you build out of K'nex.

Seriously though I think it looks quite good. Yes, Vekoma has a reputation for being rought but their recent rides have been quite impressive and this one could be too. Despite that though, I don't see why parks should get this when a Zamperla Volare is simular and (by the looks of it much) cheaper!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this at somewhere before and I really think that it could be a pretty fun little ride. The lift is pretty unique and would provide an interesting take on the whole flying coaster...which I have never really been a big fan of. If it was somewhere close I'd go out for a ride.

Good for Vekoma to try out a new type of coaster. It could be as popular as the headbanging Boomerang.

What a mad layout, seems to be a bit squashed though, a little more height and stretch the ride sideways can help to enjoy the ride.

The station should be bigger to get it's capacity up to the normal amounts of people per hour.

Buying a Vekoma prototype is quite possibly insane though.

This is the main reason for my comments. I'll agree the layout looks cool, but we're talking Vekoma prototype here, two words that in the past have proven to be reliability nightmares. Vertical lift, tilting seats on the lift, and most likely new restraints, all potential prototype issues that I personally have no faith Vekoma will get right without major tweaking and modifications. Combine the already low capacity with all the down time due to reliability issues and I agree any park would be insane to buy this prototype.

Well, not all Vekoma prototypes are nightmares, like the LSM coasters, none of those have ever had huge problems, and neither has Booster Bike, to my knowledge.

But then again, this coaster, which is completely different from anything Vekoma has ever done (besides the fact that it's a flying coaster), so it definitely could be a nightmare. But considering this park is in some random 'city' in China, I don't think they will care too much.

After riding a S:UF and the 3 Vekoma 1st gens, all I have to say is that Vekoma knows how to do a flyer! Yes, I know that S:UF pails in comparison to Tatsu, but the B&M flyers are uncofortable and boring in comparison to those of Vekoma's. As for this new ride, I think the ending looks ugly, and it'll be a capacity nightmare, but the concept looks pretty cool aside from that.

Looks like something you build out of K'nex.

Seriously though I think it looks quite good. Yes, Vekoma has a reputation for being rought but their recent rides have been quite impressive and this one could be too. Despite that though, I don't see why parks should get this when a Zamperla Volare is simular and (by the looks of it much) cheaper!

Although Zamperla Volares are small and cheap, the popular opinion is that they are by far the worst of the three types of Flyers (B&M, Vekoma, Zamperla.)

Someone who works at the Vekoma plant in the Netherlands has posted some interesting stuff about the ride here.

Most important is that the capacity of this coaster will only be around 350pp/h, due to the park's choice of 1 train with 2 coaches. The model can support a maximum of 2 trains with 3 coaches, with a maximum capacity of 800pp/h (slightly better than a boomerang or Invertigo).

Another intersting remark is that this ride will feature newly designed trains. In the old models, the train's seats go up and down inside the station before departure or after arrival. With this new design the seats will be up in the station, and they will only go into flying position after the departure. When the train hits the brakerun, the seats will start to go up. This will reduce boarding time and thus increases capacity.

Does this mean that no future Vekoma Flyers (like, if a park would perse request a custom "Stingray" or whatever), that they would no longer use full length trains? Or are the small trains just due to the size of the coaster - it looks like it's small relative to the Flying Dutchmen.

Another intersting remark is that this ride will feature newly designed trains. In the old models, the train's seats go up and down inside the station before departure or after arrival. With this new design the seats will be up in the station, and they will only go into flying position after the departure. When the train hits the brakerun, the seats will start to go up. This will reduce boarding time and thus increases capacity.

I doubt this will increase capacity by a substantial amount. This paragraph alone sounds like a nightmare to not only a prototype coaster, but to maintenence who has to work on the coaster in the future as well. Something that complex on an already complicated (vertical lift) ride, not a good idea, IMO.

It is the first Flying Coaster to feature an inversion in the flying position that isn't a barrel roll.

The pretzel loop? Or did you mean the first on Vekoma flyers?

He's talking do a loop on inverted track with flying trains. Which I personally would have liked to see happen with Tatsu, however now, I'd just like to see it done.

The Batwing adventure begins as passengers board the sleek, 24-seat train sitting four abreast and facing… backwards...Upon approaching the crest of the hill, passengers are gently reclined to a 30-degree angle only to find themselves suddenly facing the sky.

*Quote from RCDB Press Release for Batwing, SFA*

I'm not sure that the whole reclining-after-leaving-station deal is "newly developing" as much as it is "newly functioning." Going by the official Batwing (Vekoma Flying Dutchman), the original flyers were to recline at the top of the lift hill.

Either way, I think that it's an interesting concept. Why's everyone so down on prototypes? You never know (go Vekoma moniker!) whether it'll work, not work, be amazing, or suck more than Kingda Ka. Give it a chance!

Yeah... I still don't see that happening. Anybody else remember how Stealth was supposed to do that when it was built at Great America? Never happened. I'll believe that when I see it (thought I'm not doubting the validity of your source).

Tatsu > Vekoma

I don't doubt that, but unfortunately, I still haven't been successful in making the SoCal pilgramage.