TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

'Cloverfield' movie thread

onewheeled999

^^It says right at the beginning that the footage was from an SD Card, not a tape. Cameras like that can record longer and the battery life is much longer due to no moving parts.

Just figured I'd let you know, since you overly criticized the military stuff.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subject of the military and cameras. Once they walked into that makeshift operations room, the camera would immediately be confiscated. No ands, ifs, or buts. Period. End of discussion. I'm speaking on experience and knowledge. (This is one of the major points why they should not have used the handheld camera viewpoint for this movie.) They lost huge authenticity and believeability here.

You know I was waiting for them to say something about the camera, but I thought, well in the heat of the moment, maybe things were just so critical that even the military couldn't think of everything.

I guess a way around it would be to switch to surveilance cameras or something, but then you'd have the issue of how they get the camera back.

As for authenticity and believeability...its still a story about a 6 story tall monster of unknown origin on a rampage through New York City. You can only get to a certain point before you have to throw reality out the window.

^ Very well put Wes, you got to it before I could. I guess the fact that a monster attacking New York is so believable, that everything else in the movie has to be like in real life.

Anyways, I just read that the director is hinting towards a sequel being the same attack, but from a different person's perspectve in New York. This is a rumor though, not confirmed. I think that is a great idea. Maybe they can do it from the military's point, how they attacked it and such.

I think it would be cool to see it on the militarys POV, how they go in bomb the thing, there all like WTH is that, leave, go reload on bombs watch the general yell at them, and panic. The general then informs him on the history of the monster, and shows a clip of how he got here in the first place. Then the army man goes attacking some more, gets shot down, and somehow lives, and video tape the escape of the person, then he finds more military men bombing the monster, and he helps fight along on ground battles, and falls back in the city, to help those injured, and showing all the gruesome scenes, and mass discord, and chaos of the city, then towards the end, he'd be with other military men and they discuss there families, and how they need to get home, get the audience really emotionally attached, then have the guy evacuate the city, but he gets killed on the way out by the monster slicing a building and it collapsing right on top of him and other troops. Then they show a while later army men going to his wifes door, his wife answers with the kids, then they have this emotional discussion, then she finds out he died, she cries, then they show the mans funeral, and the shots fired from guns, zooming out, eventually fading into black. This all done WITHOUT the first person camera view, so that we can enjoy the movie more.

It's still a debate on whether or not I will pay to go see this movie in theaters. The original teaser trailer had me excited, and then it go so hyped up that I thought it would be unable to meet the hype. It looked like a gimmick film with mindless action. But now after hearing a decent amount of positive things about this film and seeing that it is certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, I might have to go check it out when I get the time. It's a rare thing to have a good movie come out in January.

^^It says right at the beginning that the footage was from an SD Card, not a tape. Cameras like that can record longer and the battery life is much longer due to no moving parts.

Just figured I'd let you know, since you overly criticized the military stuff.

Somehow, I missed that. However, there were all those annoying breaks a tape has, so I don't know.

I think my problem about the military issues is that I spent a year in Afghanistan working in the task force operations center and working with aviation assets (helicopters, planes), so I think that is jading my opinion quite a bit.

I like when people nitpick little stupid details in a movie and say "OH that's not believable" about battery life of a camera or military procedures, when THE MOVIE IS ABOUT A GIANT MONSTER ATTACKING NEW YORK.

You know, I do read and watch a lot of scifi and fantasy, so I should probably watch what I say. And I did say that I have taken creative liberties with the military when writing stories. My agument still stands that they can still be as realistic as possible despite the fantastical situation.

Oh, But your forgetting! a Marine was flying the chopper!

More like Air Force--they're the worst pilots I have ever seen.

Cloverfield: Rating 9/10

When I first saw the commercial for this movie, I kept thinking that this looks like another "End all"" disaster film (The Day After Tomorrow, Volcano, Dante's Peak)... But after watching the movie, I was somewhat wrong as there was a disaster...just that nature had nothing to do with this one lol... They used a very interesting approach with the way they filmed this movie and I think that will make up for the sometimes "All over the place" plot. There were some funny lines from Hud (Guy with the camera for majority of the movie)...The movie was just all around great!

I saw this on Monday and I have to say I was really impressed with what they did. The lack of showing the monster was awesome and giving us the glimpses of it during the movie made my imagination run wild. Same thing with the plot. I like that they didn't have a story line where every single thing was explained. Just like life, some things you'll just never get an answer too and I think this leaves it wide open for the audience to come up with it's own conclusions (not reading interviews from the writers lol) as to what the monster is or where it came from.

The shaking never bothered me as it takes a lot for me to get motion sick and added a whole other level of realism combined with the great (and consistent) effects worked. It was well acted and despite having to suspend some beleif (it is a monster movie after all) it felt like I was really watching someone's story in all the chaos.

If the obvious sequal does get made, I really don't think it would be as good as this especially if it comes in using the same approach. that movie has already been done with Cloverfield, I would hope they try and go for something different, which could be difficult when "Hollywood" is invovled.

I still don't have seen this film, in France it will be on the cine screens in about two weeks. I've only seen the trailers and I was very interested, it looks so realistic! Moreover I like the way it's filmed, it's like "The Blair Witch Project" and like "Lost" (wich is normal 'cause it's produced by JJ abram (I don't remember how his name is spelled lol)).

I can't wait to see that!! (even my brother looks interested lol!!)

Why does New York always get blown apart, another city in the USA should be used instead.

Because New York is easily the most recognizable US city. If you want to have a monster tearing apart a city, then NYC with it's maze of skyscrapers is an easy choice.

It wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if you had a monster tearing it's way through unpopulated corn fields.

I saw Cloverfield opening weekend... twice. First time I was anxious to see it so I grabbed a friend to take along. Thought it was pretty good. The approach was really good with the first perspective camera work. However, the next day I got a call from another set of friends who wanted to see it... I tagged along since they were heading out for dinner afterwards and I was hungry... anyway... It was strange. The second time I saw it I found it a bit unwatchable. It might have been different equipment between the two theatres but the second time the picture was so blurred. I just found it annoying. One of my friends had to leave the theatre and the other said they had to keep looking at the floor throughout the movie.

Despite the major blur my second screening... I liked the concept of the movie as a whole. It provided a good amount of excitement. Thought they could have done a bit beter with the scene setups though. It seemed they just went from one scene to the next. The didn't use the little critters again (outside of the one small cameo) once their big scene was over. Vicious they were...

iIdidn't read any of this thread really so i don't really know what the general vibe is about this movie but from what i've heard from most people it isn't too positive, so i just wanted to say (in a very long run-on sentance) that i actually liked it. *gasps for breath*

I mean, i can't think of anything where i didn't really like. it didn't blow me away or anything, but i'd love to see a sequel.

I really did enjoy it. It's rare you feel like a character so much -- the first-person view is immersive without making you sick.

Hopefully the sequel will keep up the standard ... will it be the tape of another ordinary person though? I think if it was made in traditional third-person it might lose a lot of the original's appeal.

Cloverfield came out in Germany yesterday (1-31-08) and I finally got to see it tonight! I LOVED it! I purposely didn't see any of the trailers/advertisements because I didn't want the movie to be over hyped but it was truly well done. The shakiness of the camera didn't make me dizzy, on the contrary, it worked in the movie's favor.

**Spoiler**

What happened to the girl with the dark hair in the mall? Her eye started to bleed and then she was taken to the back behind this screen......?

**End Spoiler**

Overall, great film! Highly recommend it!