TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

yes, Potato Patch has fantastic fries.

covered in cheese. . mmmmmm

Don't believe the hype about the deep fried Oreos tho.. those were disgusting.

but Knoebel's kind of "wins" for best theme park food in Pennsylvania.

I know Ive already posted it here but count me in the 'overrated' crew. I can't believe people make such a big deal about those fries. Greasy, mushy slop.

I'd say the Potato Patch at Kennywood is definitely a guilty pleasure, but it is far from an OMFG experience. It's one of those things you just do at Kennywood for some reason. Yes they have other decent options, but sometimes it's just fun to go to a traditional park and dig into some simple, messy, and greasy fries because you are there to have fun and not worry about fancy or creative food.

I'm planning on hitting up Kennywood on Friday, July 31st. How busy does the park typically get on a Friday in July? Does it make sense to purchase the VIP Coaster Tours? Can you purchase the Front Row and Back Row VIP Coaster Tours, or can you only purchase one?

I'm planning on hitting up Kennywood on Friday, July 31st. How busy does the park typically get on a Friday in July? Does it make sense to purchase the VIP Coaster Tours? Can you purchase the Front Row and Back Row VIP Coaster Tours, or can you only purchase one?

If you will be there all day then skip the VIP stuff, you won't need it. If you're pressed for time get whichever suits your needs. Most lines are usually less than 30 min. In most cases you can cover the park in half a day.

Was just at Kennywood yesterday and have some thoughts about the park:

- The park is still as nice as ever. Absolutely love the atmosphere and love all the neat little quirks that the park has.

- Phantom is still insane. It was a ride that got noticeably better in the afternoon. Never got a chance to do a front row ride, but three rides in the back car are always nice.

- Whip is as fun as ever, but a roof on top would be nice

- Rode Black Widow for the first time and really enjoyed it. I also love the little theming they have in the queue, but there are parts where the rockwork is broken and Styrofoam is visible

- I was surprised to see one of the TVs actually on in the Exterminator queue...oddly enough, the other one in the queue area wasn't on

- I wish Thunderbolt wouldn't slow down before the big drop; it would make it absolutely crazy

- Odd experience at Ghostwood: we got on right when it opened and were huddled right into the pre-show room. Nothing was happening. The light flickered on for a brief moment, and then we were huddled out and into the stairway.

- Noah's Ark is a fun walkthrough, but the fish scenes are absolutely awful.

- I was going to ride Auto Race for the first time in years, but I glanced over to it from the Rapids queue and noticed how slow they were going. Bleh, I refused to ride.

- Racer was running surprisingly well and it was a lot better than I remembered it being (still wish there weren't seat dividers)

- Aero 360 has officially confirmed itself as my favorite flat in the park (still haven't gotten a chance to ride Bayern Kurve, Paratrooper or Turtle, though); with the exception of...

- Kangaroo is the best ride ever

- Raging Rapids absolutely destroyed all 6 people on my raft. Don't think it has ever gotten me quite like that before.

- Pittsburg Plunge was only hit me on the upper half of my body oddly enough...my feet didn't get hit at all

- I can understand why they wouldn't run water at the top of Pittsburg Plunge, but it looks nicer and feels right when they do

- The building for the new 4D theater actually looks quite nice, even though the fact that there's an Ice Age film playing is annoying

- I was surprised to see how well Johnny Rocket's works in its area...it doesn't really interfere with anything

- SwingShot is a pretty fun ride, I just wish it was a bit longer so it would feel worth waiting for

- Upset that I ran out of time and couldn't do the train, Paratrooper, Turtle or Bayern Kurve; that's what next year's for

- The souvenir bottles this year are really nice; while they don't hold as much as the ones that Six Flags has, they are sturdier and have a really nice design on them

Overall, Kennywood was great this year!

Does anyone know if/when the final water scene on Noah's Ark wikl be back? The ride kinda ends abruptly as is.

It's currently going through a multi year project. Not sure if next year completes it or if 2017. Also Unsure if it includes the final water scene but if not maybe they have something else planned.

I'm debating about stopping by the park for a few hours the first time on Sunday (26th) on my way up to Holiday World. I don't plan on staying all day since I have a hotel reservation that evening in Indiana. How are the crowds around that time? Is it worth stopping by and getting some credits? Phantom's Revenge is pretty high on my bucket list so I'm very tempted to make the stop.

I can't speak to the crowds, as I'm not a regular there. However, Phantom's Revenge is my #1 Hypercoaster (yes, over the B&Ms and Intamins!), so if you can squeeze at least three hours in the park into your schedule, I definitely recommend going there! I really like Kennywood's atmosphere, and besides PR, Thunderbolt is a classic, Sky Rocket is a fun little launched coaster, and Exterminator is my favorite indoor spinning mouse iteration! If you still have some time after hitting all of those, The Racer and Jack Rabbit are nice older wooden coasters as well! (And, you'll probably want to re-ride Phantom's Revenge multiple times, too!)

Thanks for the response. I do plan on getting there at opening and stay for at least three hours so I can grab some new credits and possibly lunch and still have plenty of time to make it to my hotel in Tell City (IN) so that's perfect time. So far I think Kennywood is a go for me!

They're backpack friendly. The only exception ordinarily is Exterminator which requires you to use free lockers at the entrance to the ride. However, the lockers have been down for a while so I'm pretty sure you can use the old loose article boxes in the station currently.

I'm heading to the park for the first time tomorrow. I have purchased any of the VIP coaster passes, but not opposed to it if necessary. What should my plan of attack be first thing in the morning? What time should I get to the park?

I'm heading to the park for the first time tomorrow. I have purchased any of the VIP coaster passes, but not opposed to it if necessary. What should my plan of attack be first thing in the morning? What time should I get to the park?

if you read thru the thread (and having been there, I can attest), when you enter the park, head left immediately after coming out of the tunnel, and head back to Exterminator (indoor spinning mouse).

it's the coaster in the park with the worst capacity, and once the line gets long, it never gets any shorter.

After Exterminator, get in line for Phantom (especially if they are only running one train), and Black Widow.

those were really the only lines that were somewhat long when we visited, and once those were out of the way, we did the rest of the park at our leisure.

Oh, and Jackrabbit and Racer are not only awesome, they are people eaters, so even if the lines look long, they move quickly. Thunderbolt is a bit slower, but worth waiting for.

Quick questions about Phantom Fright Nights...

A) Do they do any of the "vip tours" (just seems like a 1 time fast pass for a group of rides?) for the regular rides during the night?

B) Do they offer any sort of quick pass for the haunted houses / mazes?

I'll only be able to attend on a Saturday for Fright Nights, and I have a feeling I won't be able to get in everything I want unless they offer something during this time. I haven't been to the park in several years.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...