TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 150: Kangaroo, Paratrooper, Bayern Kurve and Volcano being retired

KW has a fast pass system. It's a bit different and the unlimited is out of their minds expensive. The VIP tour gives you a card and you ride certain coasters during certain time periods. Or, you could buy a Steel Curtain skip the line exit line pass for $20.

KI weekend with FL will be walk ons with maybe a 5-10 minute here and there (and probably Orion).

KI weekday during that time...I was there Wednesday Jun 12, 2019. We got there at open and knocked out all coasters and the drop tower by early afternoon. I got a few rerides here and there and we were back on the road by 4-5pm. Mystic was the slowest/longest line. Orion will probably keep a decent, fast moving line on slow days. So, you can make it quick, but you can also knock out everything at a fairly casual pace.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This has been standard operating procedure for years. It's not like if they recover costs they'll stop doing every possible thing to run their parks as poorly as possible and remove as many rides / be

Bayern Kurve is indeed my favorite flat ride... so naturally was disturbed about Kennywood's actions. It has come full circle since I "lost" my Kurves at Cedar Point, Kings Island, Geauga Lake, Canada

I totally get the maintenance nightmare aspect of many of these rides, but especially with a ride that is so historic and helps you claim to be a national historic landmark, figure something out!  Ask

Posted Images

I see. Yeah my concern is the last time I went to KW was a Sat (and this was late Aug) and it was JAMMED. Fine at first but the crowds kept building and by halfway through everything was mobbed. So I'd like to avoid that. Thinking best to do KW on a weekday to be safe. In early June I can't imagine there's crowds

I was at Kennywood on Friday Aug 2 this past year. Awful Friday. They shut down for the day at 3 or 4. Turned out to be a beautiful night once it passed 30 minutes later.

We went back to finish up rides the next Saturday. Packed. Ends up being some big ironworkers picnic/day at the park. Kept hearing locals in line talking about how crowded it was.

Wife is fine never returning to KW. I really want to go a slow day. They have some really interesting coasters. Only got rerides on Phantom and Steel Curtain. I want to get on Jack Rabbit again.

Yeah, I had a terrible experience when I went. Was so packed and yup rides went down at random times, lines were slow as snails. Deff thinking I'll be going on a Thursday!

Good to know, thanks all!

Good thing, as things work out I will have to go here on a weekend in July. Kinda dreading it but it is what it is, and fast pass will help.

• 3 weeks later...

15 years is plenty long for that ride. I am just grateful the ride system is here to stay long term again. A new lease on life! This is really exciting!

• 1 month later...

So it's gone already... I wanted to go on it for the lulz. For some reason, the mouse's (altered) voice reminded me of Sonic SatAM Dr. Robotnik. Same voice actor, perhaps?

• 1 month later...

Some more old pics

These are from the summer of 2000

Enjoy!

00000320.thumb.jpg.355c892c05c6bafe1ca1d66e90a77a65.jpg

Last year of Steel Phantom!

00000321.thumb.jpg.364211bde31a5e08164d3ec185edce94.jpg

00000322.thumb.jpg.42459ba3a6f231420b225a1788b77b0a.jpg

Jack Rabbit

00000323.thumb.jpg.af4a97170ce9df172f7e86e32e4fc3ab.jpg

00000324.thumb.jpg.90238f527babc8d4659b5fded4912888.jpg

00000325.thumb.jpg.adc22d2cbcd849c76ee5081fa59a56f6.jpg

00000326.thumb.jpg.53ebe46b66225746c354fccbdecd74d6.jpg

Thunderbolt

00000327.thumb.jpg.716bc1831dbf903227e19ba8d79eeb74.jpg

Pitt Fall and Steel Phantom

00000328.thumb.jpg.77be4fdb549161cfbb61cb0878452c8f.jpg

OUCH!

00000329.thumb.jpg.016f72a7999fbe3910fb5a7c355a0a45.jpg

Much prefer Phatom 2.0

00000330.thumb.jpg.ae697df96e6070bc4501bf6076daf894.jpg

00000331.thumb.jpg.c01ccfded41804bada855df0caadfce7.jpg

00000332.thumb.jpg.81b342c7b3aec0a9f569fa3011f5b9f6.jpg

00000333.thumb.jpg.e1529435d4a49627851825336c0032f5.jpg

Gosh I love this park. Renovating Steel Phantom into Phantom’s Revenge was such a brilliant move. I only wish Pitt Fall was still around!

Two years ago, I would've said to bring back the colors on the Jack Rabbit station. Now I just miss the neon, which was replaced with similarly arranged LEDs last year.

Great pics BTW! I would've loved to have ridden Steel Phantom if just for curiosity's sake.

The governor has approved 17 PA counties to enter into the "green phase" on May 29. While Allegheny County isn't one of them, it'll probably only be a week or so after these counties until it's also moved to this phase, as was the case with the red-to-yellow phase. Since anything and everything can reopen in the green phase as long as PA Department of Health and CDC guidelines are followed, I'd guess that Kennywood would start the process to reopen as soon as feasible shortly thereafter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone has thought about this or brought it up, but I have to wonder how racing coasters will operate when parks reopen, especially those with a continuous loop.

I'm not sure if anyone has thought about this or brought it up, but I have to wonder how racing coasters will operate when parks reopen, especially those with a continuous loop.

Thinking about the Grand National at Blackpool, I don't really see any problems specific to racing coasters. Each side is not really that close and it looks the same at Kennywood. The only thing I can think of being a problem is unloading two trains at the same time, but that's quite easy to work around. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.

When I was there in 2017 they did not have any locker requirements. Just be advised that you will need a riding partner for Thunderbolt, which in this post-COVID world probably can't be a stranger.

That is correct... you will need a partner for Thunderbolt and it must be someone you traveled to the park with. Also of note, if you plan to ride Pittsburg Plunge or Raging Rapids (if it opens) you need to store your mask in a zip-lock bag while you ride and keep it with you... so be sure to bring one to the park with you.

Postponed opening. Not sure when exactly they open. Might have just eliminated season pass holders day. Still selling tickets for the 11th.