TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

^ I was going to post a link to this if it wasn't already here. Thanks for posting this....you guys did an awesome job capturing tons of cool pics. It was great to get an in-depth look at my home park during the off-season! Definitely worth a look, guys and gals.

I'll bet they had no idea how accurate they'd be by using "Nightmare" in the name!

Bring back the skeleton band, dang it!! Oh well, at least they didn't scrap it entirely. That would've been a real shame.

On a different note, I'm very curious to see how the new lighting will look on Sky Rocket. I'm assuming they're going to do spotlights under the main hill?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone ever gone on Mother's Day? How are the crowds? I was thinking of surprising my mom and godmother and taking them to Kennywood instead of the usual, boring out to dinner, but I don't want to do so if the crowds are going to be heavy.

I've no idea, but I'm torn between going on Saturday because of the longer hours of operation, or going on Mother's Day just to get my nephew in for $10. I can't imagine that it would be very busy just because it's Mother's Day, in fact I'm inclined to believe that the park isn't expecting much business that day and that's why they designated it a Bring a Buddy day to boost the crowds.

I'm really looking forward to this season. I find it real unlikely that I go before June though. Hopefully I can get my friends onboard though. The season seems like it's shaping up to be a good one with all the improvements they've made in the offseason, notably the retracking that went on on numerous rides particularly Thunderbolt.

^^^ I'm sure a lot depends on the weather, but I would say that Mother's Day would be a great day to head down to Kennywood! My dad and I went on a Mother's Day several years ago, and even with a decent weather day (it was in the low 60's with clouds and sun), the park had very light crowds. Most rides and coasters were a walk-on or 1 train wait, except for Phantom's Revenge, which that day was about 15 minutes since they only ran 1 train. Plus, if you have a season pass you can take advantage of the 10 buck "Bring a Buddy" day, as mentioned above.

It looks like my inaugural 2011 visit will be on the 15th for my brother's bachelor party. The original plan was Cedar Point, but since that fizzled out, we're going to hit up the local park instead!

Lines in the middle of the summer can get a tad long, but by comparison to the bigger chain parks, they're not bad at all. For instance, Sky Rocket was a brand new coaster last year and I never saw a posted wait time when I was there greater than 45 minutes. And even then, it would typically only take about 30-35. And if the lines are really that bad, the park now offers a "VIP Coaster Tour" for like 15 bucks that lets you get a front of the line ride on all the coasters. I never found a need for it last year, but thought it was a nice option if someone (like yourself) came from far away and happened to hit the park on an unusually busy day.

I may be biased, but I would definitely recommend Kennywood. They have a great collection of coasters, and their flats selection is truly top-notch, with some very rare rides like the Kangaroo and Turtle, along with more modern thrillers like Swing Shot, Cosmic Chaos, and Pitt Fall.

^^I was at Kennywood in early July around the opening of Sky Rocket, and that was the longest I've ever waited for a Kennywood ride. It was like 45 mins, but again, first week of operation. The other lines are all usually fine. Racer can get a tad long, but because it is what it is, a racer, it moves pretty quick. Jackrabbit is never too bad, neither is T-Bolt. The longest I've ever waited for the Phantom was 30-mins, and that was for front row seats.

Kennywood is a great park. I've always loved going. I'm a coaster guy so I dont really ride everything besides all the coasters, cept Swingshot, Log Jammer and the choo-choo , but its always a lot of fun. Classic park. My first visit I think will be June 24th.

This came in an email today from KP. How to get cheap tickets for Mother's Day......

May 8 - Mother's Day - Save $16 per ticket!

Bring Mom and the whole family out for a day of fun and don't miss the LIVE PERFORMANCE BY JOHNNY ANGEL AND THE HALOS! Purchase tickets for only $21 at kennywood.com using the exclusive promo code below.

Tickets purchased online using this discount are valid only on Sunday, May 8, 2011.

To purchase your Mother's Day tickets online:

- Click on the CORPORATE TICKETS tab at the top of the home page.

- Click on the BUY CORPORATE TICKETS ONLINE button.

- Enter the number of tickets you wish to purchase in the full price box.

- Once you've entered the number of tickets you need, click ADD TO CART.

- On the next screen, enter the PROMO CODE (2011475).

- Click APPLY.

- Click CHECKOUT and finish the transaction with your credit card information.

*Online ticket price includes $1 amusement tax. A $.99 online processing fee/ticket will be added.

Anyone got any insight/pics from opening day? I don't get to go to KP until July, so I'm curious to how the first few days are going.

I was there yesterday, and the park was looking really good. They made a lot of little improvements throughout the park. As far as I noticed, Volcano and Wave Swinger were the only two rides not open yet. It wasn't TOO busy, but busy enough that they were running two trains on all the coasters... which was nice! A few improvements were made on Sky Rocket. The link between the two cars in the train was lengthened, so the maximum height restriction for row 4 was removed. The seats are also a little more heavy duty this year, and shouldn't come loose or tear off nearly as easily. If you're interested, I posted a very brief trip report with a few photos over at Kennywood Connection: http://www.kpconnection.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4059

I was there today (Mother's Day)...the weather was great and crowds were minimal. I never had more than a 2 train wait for Phantom even though it was 1 train op the entire day, and Sky Rocket's line never went past the heart sign from what I saw. Volcano and Wave Swinger were still closed, and I was kind of disappointed the water effect on Noah's Ark was not working. A couple new things I did notice were, Phantom now has an on-ride photo, and the Parkside Cafe now has ducts, which I assume are for air conditioning. That will be good for those hot summer months when it gets to the point of being a hotbox in there, and those ceiling fans just don't cut it.

There is in fact air conditioning in the Parkside Cafe this season. They are also enlarging the restrooms in that building. Also, the on-ride photo on Phantom's Revenge was added last season.

Does the Skyrocket platform still have unprotected edges that seem like they'll claim a ride op? When we were there last Aug, several routinely walked into the "No Step" areas. How hard could it be to add a few railings?

We loved the ride - the entire park actually - but Skyrocket definitely had that not quite finished feeling.

Does the Skyrocket platform still have unprotected edges that seem like they'll claim a ride op? When we were there last Aug, several routinely walked into the "No Step" areas. How hard could it be to add a few railings?

We loved the ride - the entire park actually - but Skyrocket definitely had that not quite finished feeling.

I do remember seeing that they added a little wooden one at least on the corner of the platform closest to the stairs guests enter from. Can't say for sure about any of the other edges. I do know what you mean about it feeling like it was not quite finished, though, and I think it was probably true. It seems to feel less that way this season, at least to me.

• 1 month later...
Well, there have been many rumors flying around about Pitt Fall being removed due to maintenance issues.

Looks like this may be a sign that it could be true.(Original source from kpconnection).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Rides-Management/15915141743203

That would be awful. Intamin Second Gen Drop Towers are as pure as it gets.

Is it possible that Kennywood could get a Gravity Group in the near(ish) future? I don't know if that sort of rumor has ever popped up, but I was just checking out their Facebook page and the ONLY ride manufacturer that they 'like' is The Gravity Group. Not to say that means anything at all - but I think a GG terrain woodie would fit really well!