TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

You mean to say that they finished the queue in time to open Sky Rocket for Coaster Con! I'm in shock! I thought it would take at least another six months.

They gave ACErs 1 lap each, the ride still won't open for another week, so obviously something's not ready.

Rumor has it that the park wasn't willing to open the ride to the general public with only one train being operational because of the obvious capacity issues it would have, although I have no way of knowing for sure. I realize that the ERT was very limited, but the point was that it happened. My point this whole time was that I didn't want ACEr's to give up hope. I knew how badly the park wanted to have the ride open for them and how likely it was that they would get it to happen at all costs. I'm just glad they were able to deliver.

I am still wanting to see how the Phantom rides with the modified track on the second hill

It's riding just like its old self again and possibly even better!

You mean to say that they finished the queue in time to open Sky Rocket for Coaster Con! I'm in shock! I thought it would take at least another six months.

They gave ACErs 1 lap each, the ride still won't open for another week, so obviously something's not ready.

Rumor has it that the park wasn't willing to open the ride to the general public with only one train being operational because of the obvious capacity issues it would have, although I have no way of knowing for sure. I realize that the ERT was very limited, but the point was that it happened. My point this whole time was that I didn't want ACEr's to give up hope. I knew how badly the park wanted to have the ride open for them and how likely it was that they would get it to happen at all costs. I'm just glad they were able to deliver.

I am still wanting to see how the Phantom rides with the modified track on the second hill

It's riding just like its old self again and possibly even better!

For the record, the ride still isn't "ready" by any means...there's a reason why it's not opening until next week and it's not just because they have to get the other train ready. There's also a very good reason why they were only given one ride too. All I can really say is that the experience is going to be slightly different (and probably better) when it opens to the public.

While attending Coaster Con, we got a ride on Sky Rocket last night. What a fun ride! While not the tallest or fastest, I think it makes a great addition to an fantastic park that already has such a great variety of rides for just about everyone's interests.

It's been about 10 years since my last visit to Kennywood and they've made a lot of changes. They really manage to keep the feeling of a small family park despite being one of the "big guys" in the business in my opinion. I particularly loved Ghostwood Estates. We got a lights on walk-through tour the other night and I never realized all that I'm missing while focusing on shooting targets!

I really enjoy Kennywood and loved the ride on Sky Rocket. Can't wait to come back and get a few more rides in.

I saw this last night on facebook. The ride seems kinda slow in certain spots, but overall looks like a fun ride. A few things I don't really like about it though is....

-The ride would be much more thrilling and nerve-racking if the train came to a complete stop before the launch and rider's don't know when the train would launch

-That trim on the top hat sucks, the cliffhanger effect doesn't really seem to do anything from the looks of the POV

-The other trim (MCBR) sucks even worst! This one doesn't really have a purpose to slow the ride down as much as it does

But the good things about the ride...

-The first inversion (the cutback type element like on Drachen Fire) looks like alot of fun

-The zero-gravity-roll is very graceful and probably has some hangtime in it

-All the transitions are extremely smooth

-The ride's elements flow together

-The surf turns or whatever they are called look awesome and create an out of control Voyage type feeling

-Those last airtime hills look amazing

-I love the colors

^ I have to agree with you with just about everything. To me it doesn't really matter to me whether the train stops before the launch or not and the cliff hanger element seems to have a more practical use than a thrilling one. I don't understand the MCBR to begin with because how exactly does the train stop if there are just metallic fins and no squeeze brakes?

There's just one more con that I wanted to point out and that's the height of the track after the second barrel roll. Those S-turns and bunny hops look fun and all, but it seems like there's a good 20 feet between the track and the ground. To me that's a waste of energy that could be used for a larger drop or how about a nice intense helix?

Anyway, I know I am not a roller coaster designer (even though I used to pretend to be one on No Limits), but it is what it is now I guess.

I was on the first train out and i sat in the last row. The ride is so smooth and quiet. I didnt feel any air time but thats not what it was built for. I like the way it goes out of the station and right into the launch. The holding brake at the top of the hill doesnt hold it as long as it looks when your watching it. It is a really short ride though only about a min long. All in all think it is a perfect fit for KW.

Thanks for sharing your review! I have to ask, though...considering you were riding in the backseat of the train on a coaster with two (nearly) 90 degree drops...is it physically possibly not to feel any airtime/negative g's?

Are you saying you were stapled to the point where you couldn't lift up out of your seat? Or did you really just...mean what you said? lol

I saw this last night on facebook. The ride seems kinda slow in certain spots, but overall looks like a fun ride. A few things I don't really like about it though is....

-The ride would be much more thrilling and nerve-racking if the train came to a complete stop before the launch and rider's don't know when the train would launch

-That trim on the top hat sucks, the cliffhanger effect doesn't really seem to do anything from the looks of the POV

-The other trim (MCBR) sucks even worst! This one doesn't really have a purpose to slow the ride down as much as it does

Let me make a slight bit of effort into explaining a few things on each of these.

1. Nerve racking yes, but having it not stop decreases the amount of energy and electricity needed to propel the train. It also can help with maintaining the rides working parts. Alot of companies are switching from that "stand still" to a slow launch ideal.

2. The cliff hanger element would work better on larger coasters yes I agree but its more to put less stress on the track. Supportless track typically needs less stress on it so it won't sway so much. It does for a GP stand point add some thrill to the first drop.

3. The mid course would have to be there as a block so they can run multiple trains to be honest so easy to explain that, in this day and age capacity is key.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/10175/1067793-51.stm

Suprised nobody posted this yet. The post gazette covered the ACE con, my favorite quote of the article...

I had heard that Kennywood's newest ride, the Sky Rocket, was unique in that it flipped riders upside-down and lifted them off their seats as though they were flying.

But as park employees locked me into the coaster Wednesday morning for the first of the four runs, a roller-coaster enthusiast who had tested the ride the night before offered this startling revelation: the Sky Rocket's two unique features occurred at the same time!

Floating inversions?!?!?

3. The mid course would have to be there as a block so they can run multiple trains to be honest so easy to explain that, in this day and age capacity is key.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the MCBR doesn't have the ability to stop the trains. They're just magnetic fins, not pinch.

I was one of the ACE folks fortunate enough to ride the other night... the Sky Rocket is great! Airtime while upside down is pretty sweet. I can't wait to ride again.

This is the line I thought was funny:

I feared that people who had been on hundreds and hundreds of coasters might have a skewed view of what constitutes a smooth ride.

That's logical. The people who have ridden the roughest and the smoothest coasters in the world don't know the difference between smooth and rough? I'm sorry but I feel that the more coasters you ride, the more you can feel the differences, not the less. When coaster enthusiasts say a ride is smooth, chances are they know what they're talking about. I guess he thinks that all those coasters have dulled the senses?

^ Don't forget that the ACE code of conduct requires all members to talk positively about parks and rides to the media. So if an ACEr rides Mean Streak and the news is there, they can't tell the truth... I do think Sky Rocket looks sweet though and it looks very smooth from the POV (like most new coasters).

That's when the power of insinuation comes in handy. They could take some negative stuff and spin it around to sound positive, but no ACE member in their right mind would call Mean Streak smooth. Perhaps they'd say something like, "It's the kind of crazy wild ride that only a wooden coaster could provide." or, "ACE members love to see parks build newer wooden coasters and Mean Streak is the next to be added to Cedar Point's amazing collection of world-class, record-breaking roller coasters." There are a lot of ways to make a bad thing sound good without lying. Just ask any politician!

But getting back to your point, reporters from the Post-Gazette are allowed to say bad things about the ride, so I'm very happy to hear him give Sky Rocket a positive review. Plus the ACErs on this site wouldn't lie about the ride on the forums.

^ Don't forget that the ACE code of conduct requires all members to talk positively about parks and rides to the media. So if an ACEr rides Mean Streak and the news is there, they can't tell the truth... I do think Sky Rocket looks sweet though and it looks very smooth from the POV (like most new coasters).

Here's a quick review I posted on RRC yesterday.....I got my ride last night (two nights ago) on Skyrocket. It was VERY good. Probably the quietest and smoothest looping coaster I've ever been on. Over the last couple of weeks I rode several B&Ms, Arrows, Intamins, and Mystery Mine for the first time, Skyrocket is a winner IMHO. I'm really shocked at how quiet it is. I was still expecting some roughness, but it was extremely smooth too! We rode in the 2nd to last row( 2 cars and 3 rows per car) the airtime was good in a few spots, and overall a real joy! It wasn't the most extreme ride but had two very steep drops, some great turns, it's just different then anything out there...in a good way. The launch was good, not extreme but fast and fun. It reminds me of Volcano....launches while moving, quiet, fast, and smooth. I believe the general consensus was that it is a real winner, I heard a few calling it a masterpiece. I would say it is a solid looping steel coaster, maybe top 5 for loopers if I had such a list. It has lapbars only, similar to FoF lapbars, but the seats are much more upright and tons more comfortable. The seats essentially just rest on top of a flat platform. We skipped ERT this morning (Wed.) so not sure if any more rides on Skyrocket were available.

Oh, forgot to mention...went to Hersheypark last week too, rode both Intamins. I'm a pretty big fan of Farenheit, it is more forceful and extreme IMHO then Skyrocket and I would rank Farenheit higher, but Skyrocket is definitely smoother and just an all-around great coaster! Unique!

Also, an update...there was no ERT on Wednesday on Skyrocket but i know at least one ACE member got 5 rides on Wed evening, maybe for a media thing...not sure, saw he posted it somewhere else. The up-and-over airtime in the corkscrew sorta freaked me out! Felt a little like it was trying to toss me out.... The biggest problem with Skyrocket will be capacity, only two 12 person trains is not much. If they get loading going quickly it might not be too bad since it is launched and cycle time is not too long.

FYI, for those that don't know me...for reference if this helps with my opinions. I've ridden about 500 coasters since 1991 in 11 countries. I prefer woodies but still love many steel coasters including loopers.

Regards,

Ted

^Wow, that was the best review of Sky Rocket I've seen yet! Thank you very much for posting an in-depth look at it, Ted! Good to hear from someone who has a pretty healthy track record under their belt too.

I'm heading to the park next Wednesday, the 30th, to check it out (and also take advantage of another "Bring a Buddy" season pass day) and I absolutely cannot wait! I'm always excited to ride new coasters (or new to me ones), but I can honestly say I haven't been this excited to ride a new coaster since TTD in 2003.

I think the thing I'm happy about the most is to hear everyone who has ridden it comment on how smooth it is. That's the kind of looping coaster Kennywood deserves. I was a Steel Phantom fan, but it honestly was never "smooth" (to me anyway) in the inverting parts.

How were the positive Gs on Skyrocket?

As being one of the unfortunate people that greyed-out a bit on Millenium Force last time I rode it, I was curious about the positive Gs on the new Kennywood one. I don't think they'd be too intense by looking at the specs but you never know...bring on the negative Gs all day though! lol

I'll post my Sky Rocket review from another site. I got to ride it during the commercial shoot Wednesday.

Got to ride Sky Rocket 5 times in a row right before the storm hit. Was in row 4 and I'm really impressed with this ride. I'm 6'3 and was a bit nervous when i saw the seats up close, had a bit trouble getting in first since the bars are close to the seats, but manged to wiggle my way to the outside seat. Once seated it was very comfortable and I really like the lap bars Also a huge plus there are no seat belts to slow the loading.

You pick up a good amount of speed right before the launch. The launch is very quiet and fairly forceful. The top hat produces some great airtime going over the top right before the cliff hanger. This actually caught me off guard and knew I was in for an awesome ride. The cliff hanger element was pretty cool, was neat seeing the car hang down the hill before letting you go.

The first inversion was fun, I was surprised how the first cars last row headrest looked like it was going to hit me. Anyone who sits on the left side of row 4 will know what I'm talking about. The barrel roll was my favorite element. Was very quick and it felt like it was going to throw you from the train. The 2nd hill produced some good airtime and I was out of my seat during the corkscrew. Felt weird getting airtime around that. Rest of the ride wasn't to impressive to write about, but was still fun.

As for the positive G's they didn't seem forceful. Going up the first hill felt like it pulled some decent G's, but the duration is so short it shouldn't cause any issues. This the smoothest ride I have ever been on. Can't wait to drag my parents on since they have refused to ride a coaster that goes upside down because of the Steel Phantom.

Just got back from the park. Sky Rocket was testing today (obviously) and one great thing I noticed is that they are adjusting the trims on the first drop and the mid-course. It appears 2 fins have been removed from the top of the first hill, and several have been removed/adjusted from the mid-course. Maintenance was going up in a lift in between each test run to adjust further. Very impressed that the park is doing this much tweaking of the ride to make sure it is running it's best. For your entertainment I have edited the 2 videos together and uploaded them to YouTube.

NOTE: Make sure to bump the quality up to 480p for a better experience.

In other park news, Volcano was finally testing today, and due to it being 4H day and Heinz Picnic day, along with several school picnics the park became very busy this afternoon. I have a feeling tonight is going to be very busy!