TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

These types of coasters, truthfully, don't do a whole lot for me. But, Kennywood has been overdue for this type of ride.

Given the lack of available space, a launcher is probably the only real option they had.

Hope it does well for them, although I find myself heading up to Waldameer more than Kennywood these days. The lines are horrific.

Sad to see the Turnpike go, but, it really hasn't been the same since they went to the electric cars anyway.

Do away with the awful Garfield's Nightmare and bring back the Old Mill and I'll be happy.

These types of coasters, truthfully, don't do a whole lot for me. But, Kennywood has been overdue for this type of ride.

Given the lack of available space, a launcher is probably the only real option they had.

Hope it does well for them, although I find myself heading up to Waldameer more than Kennywood these days. The lines are horrific.

Sad to see the Turnpike go, but, it really hasn't been the same since they went to the electric cars anyway.

Do away with the awful Garfield's Nightmare and bring back the Old Mill and I'll be happy.

Turnpike will be back, so don't be too sad.

-James Dillaman

Bringing back the Old Mill would be awesome, but its not going to happen.

I thought Kennywood didn't renew it's Garfield license? Wouldn't that mean they have to re-theme Old Mill eventually? Unless they pay a royalty fee for using Garfield, I guess.

They didn't renew their license, so I'm pretty sure they're going to retheme it sometime in the near future.

BTW, I'm working at the Skycoaster and Racer. If you see me, say "hi".

• 2 weeks later...

Screamscape confirmed that Garfield's Nightmare/Old Mill is going to be rethemed in the next couple years:

According to an update at NewsPlusNotes, Kennywood has confirmed that within the next two years we will see the former Old Mill ride, currently known as Garfield’s Nightmare, rethemed into yet another new experience, likely returning it to something more in tune with it’s roots and history as the Old Mill, which incidently is about 108 years old at this point. Not too many rides can say that!

http://screamscape.com/html/kennywood.htm

It's pretty obvious that this was coming, seeing that they didn't renew the license and all. At any rate, I'm sure we'll see a much better old mill in a couple years.

I've also heard some interesting facts about the new coaster, including one possible name. I can't wait to see this thing start going up!

My God, what an appalling ride that was! I wonder if they change next year if they'll throw in a tiny dark drop like Birates over at WDW.

A drop?????? A highly doubt the physical structure of a 108 year old ride will be changed.

I doubt that too. But to be fair, it DID feature a drop at one point a LONG time ago...

Im just really excited to see this finally re-done. I loved it before they changed it into Garfield and I hope they change ti back to something worthy of one of its former incarnations.

"WHAT? THEY ARE THINKING ABOUT RETHEMEING THE OLD MILL AKA GARFIELD'S NIGHTMARE?"

Well, I got to ride the Old Mill several times when it had its wild west theme, and I rode Garfield's Nightmare several times. It will be interesting to see how they do it. Imagine a very old ride getting a futuretech facelift.

CoasterLover, do you mean Ghostwood Estate? Halloween Productions and the park in-house worked together to do the theming on that one. They did an excellent job, it'd be great if they hired them back for the Old Mill redo.

The park seems pretty excited to be able to redo Garfield's Nightmare. I think from talking to them it won't return back to something that's very frightening but maybe more along the lines of 'spooky.'

After riding it and seeing how it currently is, and imagining what it could be, I'm excited either way! While it wasn't specifically said by them the licensing for Garfield runs out next year so I imagine this could be the park's 2011 attraction. (with maybe the return of the Turnpike) This is the part of the review that has the discussion with the park about it.

Mike

I think it would be neat if, instead of being scary, they'd make it into a ride that tells you the history of the Old Mill, and the entire park, for that matter. I guess sort of the same concept as Hershey's chocolate ride...pretty much Museum: The Ride.

I really, really like this idea! A park with Kennywood's history and local following could really pull that off, sort of a much-expanded version of the signs and pictures that tell the park's history on its train ride.

Granted, they could re-theme the Old Mill to a ride where someone slips a bag over your head on the way in and Kennywood employees are given baseball bats and ordered to stand along the waterway and beat you mercilessly until you come out, and it would still be 10 times better than Garfield's Nightmare. I didn't realize the Garfield license was set to expire, but I do know the "3-D" aspect of the ride was more or less removed between my first ride in June 2008 and my more recent trip in June 2009. I have a feeling this will be remembered as Kennywood's "Light Magic."

If they relocate the Turnpike to another part of the park and return the Old Mill to its former glory, along with adding the new coaster, 2011 could be the start of a new Golden Age for Kennywood!

I think it would be neat if, instead of being scary, they'd make it into a ride that tells you the history of the Old Mill, and the entire park, for that matter. I guess sort of the same concept as Hershey's chocolate ride...pretty much Museum: The Ride.

Kennywood already has a ride themed to its history.

If you mean the train, that's themed to the history of the area, really, not the park. Besides, the same spiel has been used on that train for as long as I can remember. I'm talking about history of THE PARK, like their past rides, and maybe an explanation of all the traditions or something. Not some spiel about George Washington, and some giant guy who can bend steel with his bare hands...

If you mean the train, that's themed to the history of the area, really, not the park. Besides, the same spiel has been used on that train for as long as I can remember. I'm talking about history of THE PARK, like their past rides, and maybe an explanation of all the traditions or something. Not some spiel about George Washington, and some giant guy who can bend steel with his bare hands...

Uh dude, they rethemed it this year. It's all about Kennywood now.

2 Questions:

Anyone heard anymore info on the new ride such as tentative names or perhaps a better computer rendition?

How many of you from the Pgh. area know each other personally (or at least have met)?

Answer 1: Yes, but I can't tell you.

Answer 2: I met Devious at opening day this year, but that's it.

Uh dude, they rethemed it this year. It's all about Kennywood now.

I meant maybe have working models of things and be more visually elaborate, instead of a few "billboards" with old black and white pictures on them, and some monotone voice saying "*insert ride name here* used to be in this spot" and such.

2 Questions:

Anyone heard anymore info on the new ride such as tentative names or perhaps a better computer rendition?

How many of you from the Pgh. area know each other personally (or at least have met)?

Answer 1: Yes, but I can't tell you.

Answer 2: I met Devious at opening day this year, but that's it.

Reaction/response 1: Darn it!

Reaction/response 2: Any Pittsburghers fair game to meet up at KW either this year or next for a sort of 'meet and greet?' It's a shame there are quite a few of us from around here but it seems that many of us don't really know each other...regardless of one major common interest.

Okaaaayy....Didn't mean to kill the thread! LOL