TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Even though the rendering is of poor quality, this ride still looks great. Even though it isn't very big, there should be some good airtime, and with the relatively compact layout, there should be some good g-forces. It looks like a lot of fun, and it should be a great addition to the park with it being both the only looping and launched coaster in the area.

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the press conference and video tape it.

Here is the press conference in its entirety over 2 parts (about 9 minutes each part)

Part 1

Part 2

EDIT : Also, I was allowed to film on the Turnpike so here is one last ride on the Turnpike:

From KPConnection:

According to Jerome, the color of the track will be a deep "cobalt" blue, with silver supports. The station will sit next to the Gran Prix building where the Rotor once sat and the far turn of the Turnpike. The midway leading from the tunnel entrance and candy shoppe up to the Gran Prix will most likely be eliminated for the the new coaster. The Dancing Waters area and surrounding gardens and trees will not be affected. The trees in the Turnpike area will try to be retained as much as possible. Surveyors were at the park yesterday literally identifying and locating every tree in the Turnpike's area. They want as few trees as possible to be disturbed.

All very very good news. The trees are such a vital aspect of that area of the park, especially since most are original to the Turnpike, so that's 44+ year old trees.

The general coaster site.

The midway which will be removed for the station and queue.

The general station area.

Wait a minute. They are going to add the station near the l ocker (I think Robb can change the word filter for the word. *hint* lol) building and take out part of the entrance midway or are they going to keep that path and have the coaster go over top of it? I have gotta see this! That's a decent chunk of land.

As for where the Turnpike might return, that's a tough question. Maybe they could add it to Lost Kennywood next to Pitt Fall and the restrooms over there.

As for where the Turnpike might return, that's a tough question. Maybe they could add it to Lost Kennywood next to Pitt Fall and the restrooms over there.

They said they were going to try to weave it around the new coaster, if that fails then they'll move it to a different area. If you think about it, though, all it is really is a small paved road, so there's really no set layout and the new one could possibly be completely different.

On another note, someone at Kennywood Connection received confirmation from the park that they will fix the top of the second hill on the Phantom for next year.

YESS!!!!! I hate that transition, I know a lot of people don't mind it but for me it really bumped the ride experience down a few notches.

That's awesome! While it wasn't THAT bad, it's still cool knowing they listened. Honestly, I could definitely feel the smoothness in transitions on the top of the lift hill and pull up after the straight-away. Not that the Arrow track was rough or anything, but you could definitely tell. I was disappointed when I went through that transition. It's almost worse than Vortex's at Kings Island.

I never found the transition on the second hill that bad at all. What I always felt was the bottoming out section at the botton of the first track where you straighten out...In the front fine, but you get anywhere near the back, and you could feel the rough transition...almost like a car on it's two wheels, and then coming back.

I knew they retracked it, I remember seeing on Screamscape how they were having some alignment issues on the first drop. That sucks about the jerking though, I know I want to get back next year. I didn't get to do everything I hoped to do (got my creds and so forth), big group of people and it was rush-rush.

According to Jeff Filicko's statement about the cost it sounds like money is no object. Well, while I'm glad to see them doing what it takes to build a great coaster, I just hope they don't end up taking away something else because of this. I'm talking about prices for games, food, Sky Coaster, parking, and admission prices. I don't want to see it costing as much to go to Hershey Park. Then again, Kennywood does provide alot of value for your money, so I would still technically be happy to pay whatever they charge, but it's something on my mind still.

King Kahuna was on its last leg, it had many problems, I'd be very interested to hear if it is removed this off season what Kennywood would do with the rides land. I say remove it this off season and add a traditional family ride to replace the King Kahuna. Then change the Volcano back to the Enterprise. Volcano Valley is dead.