TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Smiley code fail at the end of that line, actually

i was the tall skinny kid in the grey phantoms revenge shirt with long hair

I saw you walk past me near phantoms revenge myself, and ran into kennyweird in the line for Kurve, he was taking pictures in front of me in line

I actually liked the top of the second hill of the phantom. The kurve seemed faster and I liked the new horn, loud as ever. I also think the train should have more objects on display. Did anyone notice how when you hit some targets in Ghostwood that objects fell from the ceiling and more things were frequently poping out? I did, I thought it was a good, small addition to the ride. Is the video of the kurve test run from test run around 10:20, because I think that might be me in the green hoodie on the far left having my arms between the top of the fence. I do remember someone using a camera on the test run. Just wondering when you shot the video. But all in all, opening day was a blast.

The test run video was shot right before they let the guests on, around 10:45ish.

I have been told that the train scenery has not been completed yet. I do not know all that will be added, but the crossing sign that used to be by Kiddieland will be returning. The entrance tunnel also is not yet complete.

Also, you may notice that almost every reference to Garfield has been removed from the park save for Garfield's Nightmare and the Pounce Bounce. IMO, I really think the Old Mill will be getting rethemed again next year, due to their apparent phasing out of Garfield. I have heard absolutely no talk on this so far; it's a guess on my part.

Author Jim Futrell was also at the park.

^So that's who was wearing the DAFE shirt. Had I known that I would have talked to him.

I met and talked to Devious while in line for the Kurve, although I didn't realize it at the time. Other than him, I didn't see anybody.

• 3 months later...

I haven't been this anxious in a very long time. The last time I felt like this was some Christmas Eve or another...

And yes, they did buy the land at the bottom of the ravine behind Jack Rabbit and Racer a couple years ago. I'm too lazy to provide a link to the news though...

I'm going to Kennywood tomorrow, hopefully I can see them announce this thing in person. I'm so excited!

On another note, from what I've heard (which is precious little), the ride will not be utilizing the ravine next to the Jackrabbit and Racer, so don't get your hopes up.

The park sure hasn't built up much hype surrounding this announcement...

(I guess ACE has a bit, but still---if this is going to be a major roller coaster, it seems like we would have received some teasers or at least SOMETHING to speculate on before the ride is officially announced. Oh well.)

Just posted at KPConnection:

Kennywood Removing Turnpike For New Steel Coaster!

Posted On: August 12, 2009

The Turnpike has been giving rides at Kennywood since 1966, with the original gas powered cars being replaced with electric cars in 1987. Over 40 years later the ride will soon close and be removed to make way for a new coaster. If you are a fan of the Turnpike don't shed a tear just yet, the park has promised the Turnpike will return to the park possibly in 2011 either around the new coaster or in another location at the park. The new coaster will send riders through both new and familiar elements from the parks past. Remember the days of the Laser Loop? The new coaster will not feature a lift hill but will launch you from 0-50mph straight up into the sky. Remember the days of the Steel Phantom? The new coaster will feature inversions, such as a corkscrew that haven't been seen at Kennywood since the transformation of the Steel Phantom into the Phantom's Revenge. As for new elements, how about a vertical drop, inverted top hat, and a barrel roll? Kennywood Connection is extremely excited about this announcement and looks forward to following the construction all winter long as well as riding what sounds like an awesome new addition to the parks coaster line up next season!

Kennywood's page:

http://www.palaceentertainment.com/kennywood/NEWfor2010.html

COMING TO KENNYWOOD - SPRING OF 2010

A seriously twisted, pulse detonating, Supercharged, stratospheric new ride Experience! Feel the seismic surge of a launch that takes you from zero to 50 in under 3 seconds! Take a fulll-throttle, 95-ft. Vertical climb and say adios to gravity as you go over-the-top and plummet 90-degrees due south! It’s an upside down, downside up, sky-flying adventure you won’t soon forget. Come feel the rush of a fully caffeinated, double-shot adrenaline espresso…on rails.

kw.JPG.10569a8910e890b49ef5aa896ab3c965.JPG

kw2.JPG.ccb7d8ce958b81f575dd516b65c6773e.JPG

West Mifflin, PA – Kennywood is proud to announce the addition of a

seventh roller coaster for the 2010 season! Joining the ranks of the Lil’ Phantom, Exterminator, Jack Rabbit, Racer, Thunderbolt, and Phantom’s Revenge, the new Linear Synchronous Motor (LSM) launch roller coaster, designed and built by Premier Rides in Maryland, is unlike any other roller coaster at Kennywood.

“This roller coaster will provide a thrilling new experience for coaster lovers at Kennywood,” explains General Manager Jerome Gibas. “The use of LSM launch technology will allow riders to blast from 0 to 50mph in three seconds and offers our first roller coaster with inversions since the Steel Phantom.”

Kennywood’s new launch coaster will feature many exciting and unique features including three

inversions and a 0-50mph launch in three seconds! After the high-speed launch, riders will experience a vertical ascent to 95ft before a brief cliffhanger pause at the top and a 90-degree drop into a maximum G-force pullout. The riders then enjoy extended airtime as the train races into an inverted top hat element, passes into a barrel roll and goes vertical again through a twist up leading to another pause.

Riders experience a second vertical free fall followed by another maximum G-force pullout on the way into a highly banked fan curve. After a traditional corkscrew, a curve to a zero gravity hill, and a series of wave turns, riders finally return to the station.

The new roller coaster will be placed in the current location of the Turnpike, a ride that has been at

Kennywood since 1966. Guests will only have to say ‘see you later’ to the Turnpike since plans are

already underway to bring back the ride in the near future.

The project is expected to be complete in May of 2010. Official coaster name and logo information

will be released in the coming weeks. Click Here for a preview video and updates.

Ride Statistics:

Track Length: 2100 feet

Maximum Speed: 50 mph

Ride Time: 65 seconds

Number of Trains: 2

Number of Cars Per Train: 2

Number of Riders Per Train: 12

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

See http://www.premier-rides.com for further information about Premier Rides.

Kennywood is part of Palace Entertainment.

Palace Entertainment hosts over 14 million visitors annually at 38 locations with seven theme parks, ten waterparks and 21 family entertainment centers and is the largest operator of waterparks and family entertainment centers in the nation. For more information, visit www.palaceentertainment.com. Palace Entertainment is part of the Parques Reunidos family of parks.

Release: Immediate

Media Contact: Jeff Filicko

412-461-0500 x1176

JFilicko@Kennywood.com

http://www.palaceentertainment.com/pages/news.html

A special thanks to Yeti762 for posting this footage.

^^^ The same thing was said about Fahrenheit, but it seems to be doing just fine.

I'm surprised this is a Premier. Not that that's a bad thing or anything, but I was honestly expecting Gerstlauer, Maurer Sohne, Mack, and even Intamin before Premier. Premier makes awesome coasters and is one of my favorite designers...can't wait!