TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Hey guys,

Recently I had to do a final project for my field production class and I did it on Kennywood Park. The idea of the video was to understand how the park gets itself ready for the summer. Jeff Filicko (Kennywood Public Relations) does all the narrating and the following is included:

new ride: Bayern Kurve

new braking on Racer, plus tree removal

new track on Phantom

plus extra content

I hope you all like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jTPRJeXTOg

Nice job - and an excellent subject!

I am a fellow RMU graduate (although it was RMC back when I was there!!!) My major was TV production and I worked in the TV studio too, which I assume they still have.

Is Jim Seguin still there? He was my professor back then.

What? No more skid brakes for the Racer?

At any rate, I'm basically committed on attending opening day (I'll arrive after lunch), so I guess I'll see some of you then. If you see a 5'6" guy with glasses and an orange raincoat, that's probably me.

Same with me; you'll see me with my Ravine Flyer II shirt and two cameras (not on-ride of course!). According to the local station I watch there is not supposed to be rain on Saturday, with a high of 66. But then I have to leave early and come back because my shift starts at 6.

^^ Well actually they're keeping the skid brakes. According to Jeff they're just updating the system, so it will operate automatically by computer instead by the operator. Funny, I always thought it was already being done that way ever since the Thunderbolt accident a decade or so ago, but I guess the Racer never needed it until now.

Oh, and I asked Jeff if they were going to bring back the horn as well to the Bayern Kurve, but he didn't know. The horn isn't a huge deal for me, but I always remembered it.

i'll be there the second (Opening day) around 10am in the free parking area, if anyone will be there that early, i'll meet up with you around the escalators down to the entrance path

Anyone afterwards, where SHOULD we meet up? and what time?

I've got three vids on Youtube I filmed today:

I sadly haven't had the chance to ride the re-tracked Phantom yet, but when I first saw the train go over that hill on a test run, I thought, "That banking looks abrupt and painful..." Both going into and coming out of it...

I thought Id give a short TR of Opening day.

Lines werent too long, my longest wait was probably about 20 minutes for the aero 360 ( i got lucky and was one of the first on the exterminator after it opened midday; idk how the line was later on). Also there was no rain, unlike the thunderstorms called by all the weather channels.

Bayern Kurve-It looks awesome, especially at night, and is very fun. Unfortunately it wasnt as intense as I remembered it being a few years ago, but then again the last time i rode it i was like 10 so it probably seemed a lot more intense back then.

Retracked Phantom- I didnt notice much of a difference until the very end of the retracked section; there is a very jerky transition at the crest of the 2nd hill that threw me to the side a bit and it is NOT pleasant; other then this I didnt feel anything different from last year at any other points of the retracking.

Pittfall- Ran all 4 sides for the 1st time in a while today. Some people got stuck about halfway up, so they closed it and began testing it. I got in line right after this and was on the first ride after the tests, and we got stuck at the top. They lowered us down VERY slowly, I mean like 1/8 the speed they raise you at; so I got to see the whole park at night from 300 ft in the air for like 10 minutes total. Freakin coolest Kennywood experience of my life.

Overall it was a really good day, probably one of my favorite Kennywood visits in a while.

^^

The Phantom sounds a little different coming down that first hill? Also I'm glad people are already taking advantage of there being no trees next to the Racer, those shots are great. As for the Bayern Kurve; hooray they brought back the horn too!

I'm happy with what Kennywood did for the season.

Also I got the front seat on the Racer, and when the ride was over they accidentally stopped my train with the first two rows beyond the platform so I got to ride the other side as well!

Also I got the front seat on the Racer, and when the ride was over they accidentally stopped my train with the first two rows beyond the platform so I got to ride the other side as well!

We were in line for the Racer and saw you have to ride again. I was wondering why you had not gotten off until I realized that you couldn't.

The trees being gone by the Racer makes the view much better.

Phantoms re-tracking doesn't seem to add anything to the ride, IMHO.

All in all, we had a great time.

Well worth the drive from Cleveland.

Retracked Phantom- I didnt notice much of a difference until the very end of the retracked section; there is a very jerky transition at the crest of the 2nd hill that threw me to the side a bit and it is NOT pleasant; other then this I didnt feel anything different from last year at any other points of the retracking.

We were there too. I felt this same jerky transition and when we asked the other people in our group, they didn't know what we were talking about! I do not remember that jerk at top the hill. It kinda went side to side, and was NOT enjoyable like the rest of the ride is.

Overall the day was good. More crowded than I woulda liked, but we still enjoyed ourselves. There were a few large school picnics yesterday and they were a majority of the crowd. We still managed to stay open to close.

The real pain in the a** was the traffic and construction leaving the park. It took us an hour just to get from the parking lot to the Rankin bridge, when that normally is a few minute drive.

Well, i was also there yesterday

i think i actually ran into Myself and Kennyweird without even realising it at first

Rides: Everything but kiddyland and water rides

Weather: ~60 and sunny for most of the day with a lot of clouds and cooler spots here and there, no rain though

Phantom: Got to it literally within 5 minutes of park opening, 6th in line, first public ride of the day, back car, front row

STILL The best steel coaster for me, it's an absolute blast to ride, while still having the intensity you'd expect from a ride of this caliber and height, and the low height requirement allows absolutely EVERYONE to ride it, the 2nd hills top was a bit rough this year, especially in the back, but it's the only rough spot on the entire ride, got several rides (9 total) throughout my day

Volcano: Best themed enterprise ever (Only themed one, maybe?) and still a fun relaxing ride, second ride of the day for me, no line until ~1pm that i saw

Thunderbolt: Rode this front row with a kid that couldnt have been older than 14 (Was on one of the school trips there today) and needed a partner to ride with, i was blown away by how smooth it is now and we both couldnt stop laughing after the ejector air in the front seat before the lift until it hit the brakes, still a top 3 wooden for me (the only other one still standing is HP's wildcat)

Took a few photos after i rode, and hit most of the flats i'd neglected til now

Bayern Kurve: Still rediculous, it has it's horn (as myselfs video shows) and generally kept a good line throughout the day, Aside from being a little rough (Expectedly) it's still an amazing flat ride and worth the wait

The whip: Still a fun little ride, rode it when i saw the hour-long wait for exterminator

Pitt Fall: Great views of the park from the top, and still very intense and fun, i love it

I went back up to the bayern kurve and volcano, rode them both again, running into Kennyweird (i think) after volcano while in line for the kurve

it was around 1:30 at this point, so i headed back towards the kangaroo and the jack rabbit, Deciding i had time to ride the jack rabbit before meeting up at 2

I was wrong, ~2:20 i got off it, and headed toward GW, realized i missed it, and generally felt bad, sorry for missing that guys

Popped off and headed in the direction of the food stand after the games walk near Ghostwood, and elected for the 5$ odd Chicken strips and fries with a small drink, 8$ for a Very filling meal (Huge portions) and i decided to watch The new BMX Show they have before heading off for more rides

Hit up Extreme snoozefest (Still the longest line in the park) and phantom several times (Line had shortened to about 10 minutes for back half despite the 30m posted sign) before hitting the racer (It had closed earlier) and Aero 360, Racer was running a bit rougher in the back than last year, but was still fun

Suprisingly, Cosmic Chaos had a shorter wait than normal (~5 minutes) as did swing shot, kangaroo, and the paratrooper

afterwards, i opted for night rides on just about everything (Excluding exterminating my remaining 2 hours with the aptly-named ride) and left ~9:30

Overall: I wish i would have taken more pictures, honestly, but i'm glad the lines were still respectable and i was able to ride everything in the park i wanted to multiple times and generally have a ball

We were in line for the Racer and saw you have to ride again. I was wondering why you had not gotten off until I realized that you couldn't.

Unless you saw my RVII shirt, are you sure it was me? They seemed to do that a couple of times yesterday...

i think i actually ran into Myself and Kennyweird without even realising it at first l-o-l.

Interesting... IDK what you looked like but it's still cool.